TOM TOM - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2008, 08:21 AM   #1

Trailer: 2007 Casita
My 71 year old DM just bought a TOM TOM a little box that gives driving directions, like a GPS just not as technical. Anyway I was wondering if they are good to have. I think for her it will be user friendly. But was wondering what other think of the TOM TOM and if I should have one for our trips? Or should I go with a GPS? Thanks for your opinions! Robin
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 08:31 AM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
TOM TOM is a GPS or at least has a GPS receiver inside. TOM TOM has been around for long time. They started out writing mapping software for PDA (Personnel Data Assistant like the old Palm Pilot). I haven't used TOM TOM myself so I can't speak to how they compare in use with Magellan, Garmin, and others. But they all about the same except the ease of use and features.
Old 06-14-2008, 09:21 AM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Casita Freedom Deluxe
I love my TOM TOM. It tells you ahead of time which lane of traffic to be in and that is terrific when navigating thru large cities. I went thru LA by myself with out any problems. It also gives you what services are at a certain exit. Mine seems to have a short battery live but what the heck that’s what that recharge cord is for.
Joyce U. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 10:13 AM   #4

Thanks Joyce! I knew for my Mom it would be good for her. The town we live in is set up so weird and she has a heck of a time finding the yard sales............. LOL........ I know that's why she bought it! So I guess I will order one for me............ I wonder how well it works in the out of the way places? Robin
Old 06-14-2008, 11:23 AM   #5

Trailer: Helite
Tom Tom is extremely easy to use. Here are some sites where you can get a great deal on one.

http://www.heartlandamerica.com
http://www.tigerdirect.com
http://www.refurbdepot.com
Art VanDelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 11:31 AM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17 ft
Registry
Quote:
Thanks Joyce! I knew for my Mom it would be good for her. The town we live in is set up so weird and she has a heck of a time finding the yard sales............. LOL........ I know that's why she bought it! So I guess I will order one for me............ I wonder how well it works in the out of the way places? Robin
Norma uses her's to find new quilting shops

She has the One XL model. You can download user provided updates for construction and such off Tom Tom's web site. It has more features and seems easier to use than my Garmin 260.
paulw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 12:01 PM   #7

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
I have the Garmin 260W and like all the GPS devices it has a mind of its own.

You have to know where you are going or else these devices will take you on some very strange journeys.

The voice in my Garmin is listed as 'Jill'. She and I have some interesting discussions about which is the best way to get somewhere. She frequently says "Recalculating" after I don't follow her instructions to make a u-turn to get back on 'her' route when I know there is a much shorter or less traveled route to get where I am going.
CD Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 12:03 PM   #8

Trailer: Scamp 2008 Custom Deluxe 19 ft 5th Wheel
I have a little Tom Tom One 3rd edition. Wasn't sure I really wanted one so I got about the cheapest GPS I could find. Now, I can't imagine being without one.

It's kinda like ATMs, microwaves, and paper towels. I remember before they were around, but I can't figure out how I got along without them.

If your eyesight is poor, bigger will probably be better. You will probably need to get a custom mounting, as the suction cup on the windshield doesn't work well for most people.

They are far from perfect, (mine tried to convince me that I needed to crash through the guard rail on a bridge over a gorge near Wheeling WVa---"Turn left NOW!") but are great if you are driving to an unfamiliar destination.

Like cameras and toasters, I don't think there is really much difference between the various brands.
Lyle Brunson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 01:31 PM   #9

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
I have the Garmin 260W and like all the GPS devices it has a mind of its own.

You have to know where you are going or else these devices will take you on some very strange journeys.

The voice in my Garmin is listed as 'Jill'. She and I have some interesting discussions about which is the best way to get somewhere. She frequently says "Recalculating" after I don't follow her instructions to make a u-turn to get back on 'her' route when I know there is a much shorter or less traveled route to get where I am going.
I have the same one. I remember back that i said i would never buy one. I thought plain old maps were good enough. I am the type of guy who never gets lost. My son had one and while i visited him a few months back he opened my eyes. It sure worked great. I had some Xmas gift certificates so i got one on sale and have never regretted it. The do work good in towns and cities that i have never been too. All you need is address of place and your good to go.
Old 06-14-2008, 02:46 PM   #10

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
I use Delorme, but when I bought my software a couple of years ago, the store did not have a small GPS version like Tom Tom. So I bought software with the GPS dongle that I run on the PC side of my MacBook and now just keep updating the software. My eyes like the larger screen. I call it Maggie after an aunt who also liked to lead other people.
I am not sure how a smaller system could compare to my setup, but mine has a split screen with a close-up part that shows the arrow (me) moving along and a screen that shows a larger map, the big picture, so to speak.

I find it comforting to have Maggie talking to me when I am driving by myself. I just got back from IA, getting out before I-80 closed. Maggie gets me through big cities and even smaller ones (Des Moines) when the signs are confusing, and I take the wrong turn.

I never take a trip by myself without Maggie. However, I was sure wishing I could find a paper DM map when I was driving around lost. At that point, I need a traditional map.

CindyL
Old 06-14-2008, 04:17 PM   #11

Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Aircraft pilots call her Bitchin' Betty...
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 04:47 PM   #12

Registry
Quote:
. I wonder how well it works in the out of the way places? Robin
It'll work just fine. The satellites don't care where you are as long as you have a reasonable clear view of the sky. Now the mapping might not show all the roads. Some obscure logging roads and newer roads might not show up.
Old 06-14-2008, 08:33 PM   #13

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
One of my kids wanted me to get a Garmin ??? can't remember the number, but it did everything but take tickets, I just wanted a GPS, didn't need the blue tooth, the radio, and all the other junk they come with so I ended up getting the Tom Tom One 3rd edition from Best Buy for $150.00 bucks and am very satisfied. My last one was an AVMap, made in Italy and designed for aviation but they introduced road map software in it. It knew its way around but was not very user friendly unless your an electronics geek. Somebody relieved me of it one night when I left my truck unlocked but they forgot the antenna so its useless now. The Tom Tom is a good low budget compromise
Old 06-14-2008, 09:16 PM   #14

Wow, Thanks everyone! I feel better for sure about her having it. I guess I will try it, like it's not enought having Dh tell me where to go! .......... But he use to be my Map guy, but since his illness he can't read a map anymore, and when I am driving I sure can't. So hopefully this will help. Thanks again for your help. Robin
Old 06-16-2008, 02:36 PM   #15

Trailer: BIOD (1979 and 1990)
Registry
TomTom is Dutch, so ....
Blog: https://rilexm.eu/fotoboek/2009na/
Lex M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 08:56 PM   #16

Thanks Lex!