Tonneau cover & mobile ham radio antenna - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-11-2016, 04:32 AM   #1

Name: Lisa
Trailer: Former Escape 19 owner
Virginia
Registry
Tonneau cover & mobile ham radio antenna

Hi everyone,

This is a bit off topic but has anyone found a workable combination for a tonneau cover and mobile ham radio antenna? I just bought a Chevy Colorado and plan on purchasing a tonneau cover. I also would like to use the stake hole to anchor the antenna for my antenna. My question is - which tonneau covers do not obstruct the stake hole? Or, where else should I consider for a place to mount the antenna?

Thanks for your help!
Lisa
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
ColoRockiesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 07:55 AM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
It's best to just visit a P/U Truck accessory store. There are roll up covers available that allow you to still use your stake pockets. People use these covers when they have ladder racks and they are used with the built in tool boxes on Ram Pick ups.
Eddie
This looks like one with in bed tracks.
https://www.realtruck.com/tonnopro-l...tonneau-cover/
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 10:43 AM   #3

Trailer: Eggcamper 2007 ('Wolf's Lair')
What type antenna? VHF/UHF, Small HF, Giant HF

I made a mounting bracket of 3/32" SS plate that bolted to the top of a stake mount clamp and was bent to provide a 1" drop to clear the edge of the bed cover. It held a Hamstick for 20M for several years and now holds a Little Tarheel II all band HF antenna. A duplicate on the other side was used to mount a 6M (54") whip.

73 Orlen WW0LF
Orlen Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 10:06 AM   #4

Virginia
Registry
Solution Found!

After weeks of tinkering I finally have a permanent solution!

I had a Retrax cover installed. Love it!

Then, I hired a professional audio guy (Driven Mobile Electronics in Chantilly, VA) to install the radio, speaker, a reprogramming wire, and cable wire to the antenna. They did a fantastic job!

For the antenna, I purchased a Breedlove stack pocket mount. This proved to be the biggest challenge. The first top plate for the mount was 6.5 inches (too short). This would have caused the cable to rub against the side of my truck and marr the paint. So, I asked Jerry Breedlove if he had other sized plates. He did and sent me a 8.5 inch top plate. This proved to be too long and stuck out too far.

So, I asked Jerry to make me a 7.5 inch plate and he did so. It is perfect! And, we did not have to carve out any of the Retrax cover. The pocket holds the mount perfectly.

Persistence is the key.

See attached photos.

Lisa
KK4PXC
Attached Thumbnails
P1000375.jpg   P1000376.jpg  

P1000377.jpg   P1000378.jpg  

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
Old 07-17-2016, 02:16 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Nice job. I think the cost of having a professional do the cable runs is well worth it.

Dave
W7DAF

2004 Georgetown 326DS
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 02:33 PM   #6

Virginia
Registry
Thanks, Dave. It was definitely worth it. My knees and back are very grateful!