Took the plunge - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-05-2013, 07:46 AM   #15

Name: David
Trailer: Own a 2013 BF 21 foot.
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Sway is caused by tongue weight being too light. The heavier up front weight, the less sway. Too much trailer for the tow means you need a weight distribution to shift some weight to the tow's front wheels and some to the rear of the trailer.
Either of the holding tanks up towards the front of the trailer? Seems to me the fresh water is 34 gallons and at over 8 lbs per gallon would add in excess of 280 lbs. Am I on the right track here? Thanks.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:04 AM   #16
SRD

Name: s
Trailer: none
us
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifermc View Post
So what do I need to be aware of regarding the tongue weight, is the concern too heavy or not heavy enough? What causes the sway, I though it was too much trailer for the tow vehicle? Thanks.

David
Socal
Perhaps I sounded too much like an alarmist. Your trailer will be fine. I never had even a hint of sway with my 21RB but the tongue weight has always been less than the 10% of trailer weight that seems to be the target ratio. I'm sure others more experienced than me will chime in and explain the causes of sway but one goal is to have a well balanced trailer. I never heard of too much tongue weight causing sway. I don't think the tow vehicle has anything to do with affecting trailer sway but it has a lot to do with how it reacts to it. Obviously the "tail wagging the dog" is much less affected by a large dog. But I think it's possible to have trailer sway regardless of the tow vehicle size. Again, I think others are better suited to explain more about trailer sway.

Don't take this as a recommendation but what I did to ease my concerns about trailer balance is weigh the tongue with the fresh water tank full/empty. I also factored in the weight of propane as if the tanks were empty and full. All of the weighing was done with the trailer outfitted as if it was actually being used for a trip.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:23 AM   #17
SRD

us
Quote:
Either of the holding tanks up towards the front of the trailer? Seems to me the fresh water is 34 gallons and at over 8 lbs per gallon would add in excess of 280 lbs. Am I on the right track here? Thanks.
The fresh water tank on my 2005 21RB is at the furthest point aft of the trailer and under the bed. The gray/black water tanks are also aft and under the axles. And yes, all of this including how the trailer is stocked will affect the trailer balance.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:26 AM   #18

California
Sounds as tho when loading the trailer I want to load most the weight up front. Maybe 2 six volt batteries wired together would add a few pounds. Am buying this trailer unseen as it is under construction now. I think I'll be fine.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:42 AM   #19
SRD

us
Quote:
Sounds as tho when loading the trailer I want to load most the weight up front. Maybe 2 six volt batteries wired together would add a few pounds. Am buying this trailer unseen as it is under construction now. I think I'll be fine.
I'm sure you'll be fine too. You may want to check out the Bigfoot Owners Club International (BOCI) online. You're eligible for a free membership because of your recent purchase. They have tons of information on the 21RB including battery modifications. BTW, did you opt for the front cargo box?
Old 03-05-2013, 08:47 AM   #20
SRD

us
I forgot to mention that you might be interested in attending the annual Bigfoot rally this year considering that your trailer will most likely arrive in time for the September meeting. It will be in Cody, Wyoming this year. Information on it is on the BOCI website.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:18 AM   #21

California
Thanks for all the info. Dealer tells me last week of march for delivery, no, no cargo container. I felt with the truck 8 foot bed I didn't need extra cargo space.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:03 AM   #22
SRD

us
Quote:
Thanks for all the info. Dealer tells me last week of march for delivery, no, no cargo container. I felt with the truck 8 foot bed I didn't need extra cargo space.
Wow, that's a quick delivery. Where did you purchase it if you don't mind me asking? We think alike on the cargo box option. Besides, the cargo box lengthens the trailer to about a 25' trailer.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:36 PM   #23

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRD View Post
Wow, that's a quick delivery. Where did you purchase it if you don't mind me asking? We think alike on the cargo box option. Besides, the cargo box lengthens the trailer to about a 25' trailer.
Bought in Pleasenton calif at the alameda fair grounds. Dealer had a 17 & 21footers already ordered. I just got my name on the 21and paid through the nose. Did ok on my trade in.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:26 AM   #24
SRD

us
Good to see that Bigfoot is gradually expanding their dealer network again. A trivial observation but the Alameda dealer's website shows a 21FB picture for a 21RB.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:46 AM   #25

California
I noticed that. Actually would have prefered the FB but no big deal.

David
Socal
Old 03-06-2013, 08:23 AM   #26

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 2012 Chevy Silverado
Michigan
With a one ton dually you absolutely will not need a weight distributing hitch. I'd wait on the sway bar until after you tow the trailer. You may not need it. I never had a sway bar and have towed with a number of different vehicles with NO sway. With enough weight on the hitch you'll be fine.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:36 AM   #27
SRD

us
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrugg View Post
With a one ton dually you absolutely will not need a weight distributing hitch. I'd wait on the sway bar until after you tow the trailer. You may not need it. I never had a sway bar and have towed with a number of different vehicles with NO sway. With enough weight on the hitch you'll be fine.
Well said and I agree entirely.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:39 AM   #28
SRD

us
Quote:
I noticed that. Actually would have prefered the FB but no big deal.

David
Socal
Why would you prefer the FB? I see advantages to both layouts but it's always interesting to hear the reasons why. Looking at what some of the dealers are now stocking it seems that most are FBs, which I translate as being more popular.