Took the plunge - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2013, 06:29 PM   #1

Name: David
Trailer: Own a 2013 BF 21 foot.
California
Took the plunge

Drove 440 miles to one of two dealership on the west coast and bought a 2013 21 footer with rear bed. BF is being built even as I type this with delivery scheduled for end of this month.
Got a fair trade in on my Lance 950 camper so I'm happy.

David
Socal
lifermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:33 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Congratulations. That is a very nice trailer.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:44 PM   #3

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Nice!! Please post photos when you get it! Congrats!
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:32 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I think you're gonna love your new BF. Congratulations!!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:57 PM   #5

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I think you're gonna love your new BF. Congratulations!!
I better love it considering what it cost. The good news is I don't have to put gas in it.

David
Socal
Old 03-04-2013, 08:13 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifermc View Post
I better love it considering what it cost. The good news is I don't have to put gas in it.

David
Socal
And you will, post pictures won't you... with big ole grins!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:49 PM   #7

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
And you will, post pictures won't you... with big ole grins!
No pics yet. Being built even as we speak and should be delivered end of this month they tell me. My truck is over kill being a diesel 1 ton dually but paid for so will keep the truck. I can't imagine needing sway control with this truck, any opinion on the sway control? Thanks.

David
Socal
Old 03-04-2013, 09:25 PM   #8
SRD

Name: s
Trailer: none
us
Congratulations on the 21RB! You're gonna love it. BTW, how will it be optioned?

As for the sway control, I initially towed my 21RB with an F250 for about 1500 miles without sway braces (standard hitch) and didn't have a problem. I later bought a Hensley and frankly, it towed about the same. The only benefits I've gotten out of the later is some peace of mind and being able to lower my tailgate completely after also installing a power tongue jack. The tongue weight on my trailer can get a little light, especially if the water tank is full but even then it has never given a hint of sway.
SRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:35 PM   #9

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRD View Post
Congratulations on the 21RB! You're gonna love it. BTW, how will it be optioned?

As for the sway control, I initially towed my 21RB with an F250 for about 1500 miles without sway braces (standard hitch) and didn't have a problem. I later bought a Hensley and frankly, it towed about the same. The only benefits I've gotten out of the later is some peace of mind and being able to lower my tailgate completely after also installing a power tongue jack. The tongue weight on my trailer can get a little light, especially if the water tank is full but even then it has never given a hint of sway.
Well I don't think I'll need a sway bar. I do have a weight distribution hitch and may use that. Options, no genny or solar panels or electric jack but everything else. I do have a Honda 2k and if the weather is too hot I'll plug in somewhere. I usually boondock but wondering, is thete a compartment for the genny that can be used for storage?
Old 03-04-2013, 09:52 PM   #10
SRD

us
You probably need a weight distribution hitch less than some type of sway control given that you will be towing with a 1 ton truck. I think you'll be surprised how little the tongue weight will be on your 21RB.

The only outside storage on the 21RB is a fairly good size compartment (under the bed) with access on the entry side of the trailer. I don't think it's tall enough to fit a Honda 2000. Besides, it's probably not a good location to store a heavy generator considering the effect it would have on tongue weight. The only other sizable compartments are under the dinette bench seats but I don't think the generator will fit there either. What's wrong with the bed of the pickup?
Old 03-04-2013, 10:30 PM   #11

California
I'll use the truck bed for the genny and all the rest of items that I was unable to carry in my lance camper. Looking forward to getting this thing. I had an airstream once that was 1000 pounds lighter than the BF and pulled it with a 3/4 ton, went coast to coast with no sway bar and never had a problem. I'm sure the dealer would tell me I need it for the sale. Just don't know.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:58 PM   #12
SRD

us
Quote:
I'll use the truck bed for the genny and all the rest of items that I was unable to carry in my lance camper. Looking forward to getting this thing. I had an airstream once that was 1000 pounds lighter than the BF and pulled it with a 3/4 ton, went coast to coast with no sway bar and never had a problem. I'm sure the dealer would tell me I need it for the sale. Just don't know.
FWIW, I don't think you need sway either but I would still watch your tongue weight.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:06 AM   #13

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRD View Post
FWIW, I don't think you need sway either but I would still watch your tongue weight.
So what do I need to be aware of regarding the tongue weight, is the concern too heavy or not heavy enough? What causes the sway, I though it was too much trailer for the tow vehicle? Thanks.

David
Socal
Old 03-05-2013, 07:31 AM   #14

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Sway is caused by tongue weight being too light. The heavier up front weight, the less sway. Too much trailer for the tow means you need a weight distribution to shift some weight to the tow's front wheels and some to the rear of the trailer.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:46 AM   #15

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Sway is caused by tongue weight being too light. The heavier up front weight, the less sway. Too much trailer for the tow means you need a weight distribution to shift some weight to the tow's front wheels and some to the rear of the trailer.
Either of the holding tanks up towards the front of the trailer? Seems to me the fresh water is 34 gallons and at over 8 lbs per gallon would add in excess of 280 lbs. Am I on the right track here? Thanks.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:04 AM   #16
SRD

us
Quote:
So what do I need to be aware of regarding the tongue weight, is the concern too heavy or not heavy enough? What causes the sway, I though it was too much trailer for the tow vehicle? Thanks.

David
Socal
Perhaps I sounded too much like an alarmist. Your trailer will be fine. I never had even a hint of sway with my 21RB but the tongue weight has always been less than the 10% of trailer weight that seems to be the target ratio. I'm sure others more experienced than me will chime in and explain the causes of sway but one goal is to have a well balanced trailer. I never heard of too much tongue weight causing sway. I don't think the tow vehicle has anything to do with affecting trailer sway but it has a lot to do with how it reacts to it. Obviously the "tail wagging the dog" is much less affected by a large dog. But I think it's possible to have trailer sway regardless of the tow vehicle size. Again, I think others are better suited to explain more about trailer sway.

Don't take this as a recommendation but what I did to ease my concerns about trailer balance is weigh the tongue with the fresh water tank full/empty. I also factored in the weight of propane as if the tanks were empty and full. All of the weighing was done with the trailer outfitted as if it was actually being used for a trip.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:23 AM   #17
SRD

us
Quote:
Either of the holding tanks up towards the front of the trailer? Seems to me the fresh water is 34 gallons and at over 8 lbs per gallon would add in excess of 280 lbs. Am I on the right track here? Thanks.
The fresh water tank on my 2005 21RB is at the furthest point aft of the trailer and under the bed. The gray/black water tanks are also aft and under the axles. And yes, all of this including how the trailer is stocked will affect the trailer balance.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:26 AM   #18

California
Sounds as tho when loading the trailer I want to load most the weight up front. Maybe 2 six volt batteries wired together would add a few pounds. Am buying this trailer unseen as it is under construction now. I think I'll be fine.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:42 AM   #19
SRD

us
Quote:
Sounds as tho when loading the trailer I want to load most the weight up front. Maybe 2 six volt batteries wired together would add a few pounds. Am buying this trailer unseen as it is under construction now. I think I'll be fine.
I'm sure you'll be fine too. You may want to check out the Bigfoot Owners Club International (BOCI) online. You're eligible for a free membership because of your recent purchase. They have tons of information on the 21RB including battery modifications. BTW, did you opt for the front cargo box?
Old 03-05-2013, 08:47 AM   #20
SRD

us
I forgot to mention that you might be interested in attending the annual Bigfoot rally this year considering that your trailer will most likely arrive in time for the September meeting. It will be in Cody, Wyoming this year. Information on it is on the BOCI website.