Top-Off Batteries in Seconds.... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-08-2015, 08:39 PM   #1

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Top-Off Batteries in Seconds....

They put a Tesla Supercharging station in our area! Go figure! As I understand it, the little outlet cable delivers 120kW, 80 amp DC current. Now if Camping World just had an adaptor/converter for our little egg, we could top off the batteries and be back on the road in a heartbeat!
Attached Thumbnails
DSC07962.jpg   DSC07964.jpg  

War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 08:58 PM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Except you would have fried batteries. Ours can't be charged that fast without overheating and warping plates.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 09:03 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
They put a Tesla Supercharging station in our area! Go figure! As I understand it, the little outlet cable delivers 120kW, 80 amp DC current. Now if Camping World just had an adaptor/converter for our little egg, we could top off the batteries and be back on the road in a heartbeat!
Doesn't your tow vehicle do a good enough job? Also I believe have to pay for privilege of using an automobile charge station.
Old 04-08-2015, 09:34 PM   #4

Name: alan
Trailer: looking
Colorado
Tesla battery packs have their own cooling system. Without that they couldn't be charged so quickly.
minke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 09:56 PM   #5

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by minke View Post
Tesla battery packs have their own cooling system. Without that they couldn't be charged so quickly.
I talked with the very nice family while they charged their Tesla (there is like a "mood ring" around the electrical port that turns colors as the car charges, I believe it glowed green when charging was complete), and when the battery cooling fan(s) kicked on, it sounded like a helicopter getting ready to take off! Two things they just had to show me: 1) the "frunk" (front trunk), like the old VWs (but much more posh than in my old '71 Super Beetle), and 2) the location of the cap for the only fluid they had to worry about - windshield wiper fluid (I guess they didn't have to worry about brake fluid, assuming the Tesla has old-fashioned hydraulic brakes). I didn't specifically ask, but my impression was the charging was free for now (Tesla promotional?). Nice family, cool car, interesting concept, but I'm guessing towing with a Tesla is out of the question. Oh, and for those concerned about me frying my batteries, my comment about a Camping World adaptor/converter was "tongue-in-cheek" (note smiley face), but thanks for your concern. Our tow vehicle does the job just fine.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 02:38 PM   #6

Trailer:
Here's a post on the ecomodder forum about towing with Nissan Leafs:

How much can a nissan leaf tow? Feats of towing might! - Fuel Economy, Hypermiling, EcoModding News and Forum - EcoModder.com

including this vid:

https://youtu.be/6sUSy7MPn2E
Andrew Gibbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 02:41 PM   #7

Name: Wendy
Trailer: ‘14 Casita 17 SD
Florida
For boondocking purposes, wouldn't a Tesla battery last much longer?
WendyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 03:47 PM   #8

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Gibbens View Post
THe leaf has a number of interesting attributes that make it a good tow vehicle except the most important one, range.

Our son has a totally electric car in Maine and it's virtually can't be driven in the winter. Cold weather kills battery capacity and running the heater further adds to the problem.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 06:27 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
When the electric vehicle finally becomes a success, it might be a lot more difficult to find a charging station or preferred parking spaces.

Tags
eco