Toronto RV show- Airstream Posts - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2011, 07:26 PM   #1

Trailer: 2010 17 ft Escape B ('Cafe Egg')
Registry
Toronto RV show- Airstream Posts

The Airstream dealer had some Jeeps posed in front of those silver trailers, including a Jeep Unlimited... Now that is a little too iffy for me...
Gerda, H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 07:38 PM   #2

Name: Andrew
Trailer: Modified Trillium Jubilee
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerda, H View Post
The Airstream dealer had some Jeeps posed in front of those silver trailers, including a Jeep Unlimited... Now that is a little too iffy for me...
Well, anybody who can afford an Airstream surely should be able to afford a proper TV
Andrew GPSMapNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 07:40 PM   #3

Registry
True!!
Old 02-27-2011, 09:55 PM   #4

Name: PaulOWindsor
Trailer: 2011 Trillium 1500 & 2002 Airstream 34
Ontario
Yes, I totally agree as well...
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00597.JPG  
PaulOWindsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:59 PM   #5

Registry

Paul, I hope you tow your Airstream with something else...
Old 02-27-2011, 10:32 PM   #6

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
If that ( what looks to be small ) is pulling a three axle trailer, those are the kind you see wrecked.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 11:34 PM   #7

Ontario

Old 02-27-2011, 11:59 PM   #8

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Youtube video or not, it's still just wrong!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:12 AM   #9

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Holy Cow! Than Hensley Sway Control Hitch was amazing on that minivan!!
Old 02-28-2011, 01:08 AM   #10

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Hensley Sway Control Hitch is amazing but expensive
Old 02-28-2011, 07:50 AM   #11

Ontario
Group : The tongue weight of our Airstream 34 is about 800lbs (the same as having 3 big people in the back seat) & of course, we have a Hensley hitch.

Our T/V is a standard Ford Edge & we've had no troubles towing, because it's an Airstream & they are built (similar to our Eggs..) so that air funnels around them, much like flying a plane along the ground.

In the case of the 34, with it's three axles, it has a very stable ride & stopping is NOT an issue, because when the brakes go on & those six tires begin to grab....it's the trailer stops the tow vehicle !!

With it's lesser wind resistence, a lower center of gravity, the Hensley hitch (we wouldn't be without it !!) driving conseritivly and most of all keeping our speed down...we've been just fine.

We've always felt very safe towing our Airstream.

It's the square trailers out there that are the scary ones to tow...no matter what the T/V is...as shown very well in the video above !!

P.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:17 PM   #12

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulOWindsor View Post
Group : The tongue weight of our Airstream 34 is about 800lbs (the same as having 3 big people in the back seat) P.
Very big people.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 02:12 PM   #13

Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft / 2001 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
That's a Ford Edge in the picture hooked up to the Airstream triple axle. I looked up the towing specs, maximum is 3500lbs with class 2 hitch. There's no way that Airstream is less than 3500lbs.
ThomasE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 08:34 PM   #14

Registry
I know, still OT. Couldn't resist though, as this combo might be outstandingly dangerous. See what the manufacturer of the really nice sway bars explains. It is really genius. But they also recommend to stay within limit of your TV!! And the 2-axle 31' Airstream has an empty weight of beyond 7000 pounds, and can be loaded up to 10000 pounds. I could not find a 3-axle 34' Airstream in a pinch here. I would not tow this with my 4Runner, which is rated at 5000 pounds, and I certainly would not dream of towing it with the Ford Edge.... Now I am even more scared...

Hensley Mfg., makers of the famous Hensley Arrow®, also know as the Arrow® or the Hensley®... the ONLY trailer hitch guaranteed to totally eliminate trailer sway. Only Hensley can make that statement!. What does the Arrow® do? It eliminates any possibility of trailer sway. That’s not a misprint or an exaggeration. It is physically impossible for a travel trailer to sway, fishtail, or jackknife when outfitted with the Hensley Arrow®.

Why? Because the Arrow® is the only trailer hitch on the market that doesn’t use friction to control sway. Every other sway control device uses friction in one form or another. The problem is that friction works both ways. While it dampens trailer sway, it also hinders the tow vehicle’s ability to turn or regain control of the trailer once sway does occur. Eventually, enough side force (wind, trucks, uneven roads, etc.) will hit the side of your trailer to overcome the friction in your sway control device. At that point, the sway control device becomes a hindrance to regaining control of your trailer.

A travel trailer outfitted with the Hensley Arrow®gives you:
  • A choice of car, SUV, or pickup truck to tow with.
  • A smaller, lighter tow vehicle (though Hensley Mfg. cannot recommend you go over your vehicle’s tow rating, the vehicles used in the video are really used for every day towing).
  • Safety.... The Arrow® is the safest towing system on the road. Because of its patented linkage system, it is impossible to initiate trailer sway, the #1 cause of trailer accidents.
  • Tighter turning radius.
  • Level floor plan.
  • Easier hook ups.
  • Lower trailer cost.
  • Lower center of gravity.
  • Stress free towing.
  • Lower fuel costs (because of less wind resistance, a travel trailer averages 1 to 2 mpg better fuel economy).
xxx
Old 03-04-2011, 01:38 PM   #15

Ontario
Here's a new clip posted by the Airstream dealer near London Ontario.

It certainly demonstrates the advantages of being aerodynamic & having a low center of gravity...

Old 03-14-2011, 11:30 AM   #16

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
The funny thing is, this thread started by talking about towing with Jeeps. I would rather tow an Airstream with a Ford Edge than with a Jeep! Jeeps don't handle very well IMO.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote