Torsion axel ? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2011, 11:33 AM   #1

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
Torsion axel ?

How do you know when a torsion axle need replacing? I just bought a U-Haul ct13 camper and If they do need replacing where can I get axles for it?
kirkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 09:30 AM   #2

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Not sure how to gauge the axle for wear but many have mentioned Redneck Trailer Supply for their Torflex Axle. My friend who owns and RV Store uses them exclusively for all his axle buys...... their should be a number or tag on your axle somewhere that would supply a replacement. you could also call them to ask about wear on your old axle or if a new one is needed.
Others on here will probably help further but this is a start.
Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 09:43 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Try the hand fist test. Put an upright fist on top of the tire. It shouldn't touch. Even if it doesn't have someone go inside the trailer and right over the axle have them jump up and down (takes someone of weight...not a child). Observe the axle from underneath, do the arms on the axle move? If you know the hitch height at time of manufacturer, has it changed, some.. alot?

How does it tow? Bouncy or steady and is stuff where it belongs when you get where you're going or is some all over the floor?

If you decide a new axle is needed, get one with brakes... you'll never regret it!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 11:18 AM   #4

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Try the hand fist test. Put an upright fist on top of the tire. It shouldn't touch. Even if it doesn't have someone go inside the trailer and right over the axle have them jump up and down (takes someone of weight...not a child). Observe the axle from underneath, do the arms on the axle move? If you know the hitch height at time of manufacturer, has it changed, some.. alot?

How does it tow? Bouncy or steady and is stuff where it belongs when you get where you're going or is some all over the floor?

If you decide a new axle is needed, get one with brakes... you'll never regret it!
Who's fist and which axle?
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 01:44 PM   #5

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkman View Post
How do you know when a torsion axle need replacing? I just bought a U-Haul ct13 camper and If they do need replacing where can I get axles for it?
Hi, Jason

There're a LOT of discussions about axles here at the forum, and a re-e-e-e-ally long one was going on earlier this year.
Joe from Bloomington chimed in with very simple directions re. checking your torsion axle for wear/life.
It's so simple, even I understood his instructions!
Check out his posts, beginning with #55, on page 4 at http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...e-42849-4.html

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 01:50 PM   #6

If you replace the axle... NOW would be the time to get away from the U-Haul proprietary wheels. You might be able to sell the wheels to help offset the price of the axle too.
Old 07-24-2011, 02:39 PM   #7

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
I believe uhaul still sells the torque axle for the camper and the hubs too
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 02:46 PM   #8

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Thomas View Post
I believe uhaul still sells the torque axle for the camper and the hubs too
Which reminds me...
I'm not sure how relevant to older U-Haul travel trailers this is, but for what it's worth, here's a current cargo trailer torsion axle inspection video...

It should be noted that most of our torsion axles don't have replaceable spindles like the axle in this video.

Francesca
Old 07-24-2011, 04:18 PM   #9

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
Thanks for all the help guys!!!!
kirkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:30 PM   #10

Trailer:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
here's a current cargo trailer torsion axle inspection video...
A good demonstration of how little torque needs to be applied to (presumably roller) bearings - he could just undo the nut by twisting the socket in his hand!
Andrew Gibbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 01:03 PM   #11

Registry
NEWS FLASH!

Attention all U-Haul owners!

Don't order a new axle quite yet...

Perhaps alone among trailer makers back in the day, U-Haul DID put axles on with replaceable spindles!
The document center here has two very comprehensive U-Haul publications, one for parts and one for service.
Page 21 of the parts PDF at http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/d...artsManual.pdf indicates that the hub/spindle assembly was (is?) available as a replacement part.

Good for U-Haul!
At least in the suspension department, their trailer has moved to #1 on my list of best-designed trailers.

Francesca
Old 07-25-2011, 01:25 PM   #12

All well and good if spindles are damaged by worn bearings, etc., but the rubber portion of a torsion axle is not replaceable without replacing the entire axle.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:57 PM   #13

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
All well and good if spindles are damaged by worn bearings, etc., but the rubber portion of a torsion axle is not replaceable without replacing the entire axle.
Hi, Donna

Most of us have the "Disposable Dexter" or a predecessor to it, which must be replaced entire if any part of the axle is damaged.
It's my understanding that spindle damage/failure is the most common problem with torsion axles, and the U-haul allows for replacement of that part.
Rubber failure is less common, and in U-Haul's case, "axle" replacement allows for the use of existing spindles, if sound.
FlexirideŽ also makes a torsion axle with serviceable/replaceable spindles.
I like components with serviceable parts, so I like these setups.

But each to his own!

Francesca
Old 07-25-2011, 06:08 PM   #14

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
The uhauls hub is a sealed unit rarely needing replacement....its alot like whats on the rear of a gm car about the size of a celebrity or pontiac 6000 etc....It's overkill if anything but really nice units.
People have tried adding grese fittings to them among other things thinking they needed it and it led to failure far as i remember....Theres one gal with a 16ft that had a failure i believe of one ......its really not common for them to fail..............now the torsion rubber could age right along with any simular units on many trailers, nothing special there.
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 06:55 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
It's my understanding that spindle damage/failure is the most common problem with torsion axles, and the U-haul allows for replacement of that part.
In the years I've been a molded trailer owner and a member of this forum, I've only heard/read about one trailer where the spindles needed to be replaced, and that was due to a bad bearing. So, I wouldn't call that the most common problem. The most common problem and reason for replacement seems to be the rubber wears out and/or hardens to the point the axle no longer has any travel space. YMMV