Total RV Newbie Looking for Tips and Question on Deposit on Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-02-2017, 05:07 PM   #1

Name: Tommy
Trailer: In the Market
Kentucky
Total RV Newbie Looking for Tips and Question on Deposit on Scamp

Hello everyone...first post here. I'm a total newbie to the RV world but looking to get a rig and get on with exploring the country. You could say I'm having kind of any early life crisis having turned 30 and slowly balding (yikes!). I have this extreme desire to travel and make memories as it feels like time is rolling quicker than I'd like.

Anyways, I am interested in a 13ft Scamp to pull with my 2005 Ford Escape. I contacted Jim at Scamp asking about current pricing and deposit information. Wow these things really hold their value! Normally I buy used whenever possible, but it seems like the comparable used units are selling for just a few thousand less than a new one. Jim told me that they require a $500 deposit but that it is refundable should I decide to cancel the order. Build completion date as of today - February 2018.

I have 2 questions:

1) Can anyone confirm that the deposit is truely no risk and totally refundable should I decide to cancel the order. My plan is to put in an order and continue to monitor the used market. Should I find a suitable used unit used, I could cancel the order and if I don't find a unit by February than I'll have one ready to purchase new.

2) I know this is broad question but if anyone has any tips/suggestions just in general, let 'em fly. As I said, I am a total newbie in this department, but I am reading up on the subject online.
liftinggeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 05:19 PM   #2

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
If you can afford a new unit - get new. Period. First of all, you will order floor plan and options YOU need.
Old 08-02-2017, 05:35 PM   #3

Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokhapkin View Post
If you can afford a new unit - get new. Period. First of all, you will order floor plan and options YOU need.
Good point! Also, it seems like later models (depending on the options of course) are running 10-13k. With the options I'm looking for on a 13 standard, I priced it at $15,000 so to me it seems crazy to pay just a couple grand less for a used unit.
Old 08-02-2017, 05:38 PM   #4

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by liftinggeek View Post
I have 2 questions:

1) Can anyone confirm that the deposit is truely no risk and totally refundable should I decide to cancel the order. My plan is to put in an order and continue to monitor the used market. Should I find a suitable used unit used, I could cancel the order and if I don't find a unit by February than I'll have one ready to purchase new.
I have been reading everything I can about Scamps on this forum, a few Facebook groups, etc. and I have NEVER heard of anyone having a problem getting their deposit back when they cancel. Of course any business can go bankrupt but Evelands has been in business forever and seems to be as busy now as they ever have. And if you had to go through with a purchase to avoid losing the deposit, the way the economy is now, you could sell you new camper for what you paid for it, maybe even a little more. (Of course one North Korean ICBM hitting the mainland US would change things immensely.)

Quote:
2) I know this is broad question but if anyone has any tips/suggestions just in general, let 'em fly. As I said, I am a total newbie in this department, but I am reading up on the subject online.
That is exactly what I would recommend.. read everthing you have time to read. This forum alone has answered about every question every asked at one time or another. Learning how to effectively search will also be important as you narrow your questions. The Google search option works better for me, and if you learn all the options that Google has for searching you can have much better luck finding what you want.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 05:41 PM   #5

North Carolina
Just don't expect a new Scamp to be problem free. It might be, but I would not plan on it. Better to be ready to deal with a few issues, and a few more if used, and a few more than that it is very used.
Old 08-02-2017, 06:06 PM   #6

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
New or old is a choice. We've always bought used. We travel 7 months a year (for 17 years) and heavily modified our Scamp, principally adding more storage and more convenient storage. So whether new or used we would have done work on whatever we bought.

I know Gordon2 had trouble with his Scamp but equally I know two people who bought new Scamp 13s and had no problems and both travel extensively.

My suggestion that it's a major purchase and that you spend a week or two in MN testing it out, making sure to get any little thing you might find fixed while in the area. MN is a beautiful fun area.

Many, not all, people who buy a 13 wish they had bought a 16. For us we like the extra space and a bathroom, at least for Ginny is a must.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 06:47 PM   #7

Kentucky
Thanks for your detailed response! Do you have a blog where I can read up on your mods? If you're traveling 7 months out of the year in one of these, you must have your Scamp decked out! I'm probably going to be doing short trip stints trying to juggle them with work.
Old 08-02-2017, 06:48 PM   #8

Kentucky
Well that doesn't sound good! When buying new, I'd expect things to be perfect or for the company to fix the problems. Did they make things right with you?
Old 08-02-2017, 07:13 PM   #9

North Carolina
Quote:
Well that doesn't sound good! When buying new, I'd expect things to be perfect or for the company to fix the problems. Did they make things right with you?
The expectation that everything will be perfect is exactly what I am trying to dissuade you from having. Norm's suggestion to spend a few weeks in the area after purchasing is a good one, but of course he has the free time to do that and not everyone does. I spent two days in the area thinking that was enough but most issues I did have did not show up right away.

But even if it was not perfect, I am happy with my Scamp and I would buy one again (only changing a few options). If I expected perfection, perhaps I would not be as happy with it.

Kent Evenland did work with me, but he really wanted me to come back for warranty work and the distance made that impossible. So I ended up doing most repairs myself and they covered the small cost for parts, or sent replacements as needed. I can't say how it would have gone if I went to a local shop and they billed Eveland's for a large amount of money.

I can tell you of people that were very happy with the service they got, and I can tell you of a few that were very unhappy. But once you get the kinks worked out, its a great camper (just not quite perfect).
Old 08-02-2017, 07:48 PM   #10

Name: Bob
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Georgia
As another newbie I'll ask if you've been in any of these trailers. In particular a 13' Scamp. I read lots before attending a recent rally. After years of tent camping I assumed i would just adjust to whatever was available and of course that would happen. But getting into a bunch of different models made it clear that my preferences and manufacturers decisions don't always jibe. Found several I thought I could make work. But it's not a $400 tent for a weekend and "make work" may not be the best goal. Even coming from a tent you realize how small these are and that will exaggerate any misfit. In particular I found interior height needs to be taken with many grains of salt; despite the published differences I found both Scamp and Casita the same - half an inch or so too short for my 6'2". Not to mention bed length.

I'd urge you to find a rally or other way to check out what you're interested in. Even with a refundable deposit you don't want to spend a few months thinking you have it figured out only to realize something really won't work for you.
FishingBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 08:39 PM   #11

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
I know this is broad question but if anyone has any tips/suggestions just in general, let 'em fly. As I said, I am a total newbie in this department, but I am reading up on the subject online.
Tommy,

My primary suggestions are:

1) Start with figuring out your tow vehicle's capacity and work from there to figure out what you are capable of towing. Learn about dry and curb weights, and vehicle GVWR and payload capacity. Look for "trailer weights in the real world" on this site to see what some trailers weighed when loaded.

2) Read everything you can.

Oh yeah, you already had that one down.

If possible, getting some experience with an RV or a trailer by renting or borrowing, talking to folks that RV, or attending rallies will all help inform your decision-making. Good luck!

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 05:46 AM   #12

Florida
Quote:
Thanks for your detailed response! Do you have a blog where I can read up on your mods? If you're traveling 7 months out of the year in one of these, you must have your Scamp decked out! I'm probably going to be doing short trip stints trying to juggle them with work.
Tommy. Here's a link to our Scamp 16. It's really long but shows our process.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...a-46387-3.html

One of the best events to attend is the Scamp Camp in FL in February. You can walk from Scamp to Scamp and see and hear how people have modified their Scamps for their use. The first time I went I left with a list of 50 things I could do to improve our Scamp. People were extremely helpful and friendly.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-03-2017, 08:04 AM   #13

Name: Don
Trailer: Shopping
Alabama
Quote:
1) Can anyone confirm that the deposit is truely no risk and totally refundable
There is a waiting list for Scamps. It is. I called and moved my ship date back 6 months and they were very happy to do that.

Buying used depends on where you live. If you live near Wisconsin the used market is better. If you live in Florida like me then there is no point in even looking for a used one.

Quote:
2) I know this is broad question but if anyone has any tips/suggestions just in general, let 'em fly.
Just bought my first camper and it was a scamp 13. Get a Surge / Brownout guard. Get a water pressure regulator. Plan to spend most of your time outside of the camper so get set up to cook and sit outdoors for the most part.
dcs02d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 08:46 AM   #14

Name: Corky
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16ft.
Illinois
In Feb. Up North most all camp grounds are close tell May 1 in Mn., Wi. March in Iowa Il. so pick up late Spring so you can test it out a few days. + you may hit ice snow tell May.
Courtland PieperCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 09:19 AM   #15

Florida
I bought my Scamp used in FL on Craig's List. Last year there was a barely used Scamp 16 at a car dealer slot for $7000. They are available.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-03-2017, 09:37 AM   #16

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Courtland PieperCo View Post
In Feb. Up North most all camp grounds are close tell May 1 in Mn., Wi. March in Iowa Il. so pick up late Spring so you can test it out a few days. + you may hit ice snow tell May.
In Minnesota many of the major Minnesota State Park campgrounds are open year round (Mille Lacs Kathio [closest to Scamp], Itasca, Lake Bemidji, Gooseberry, Jay Cooke, for example). Some others are usually open April 1, with a few not open until May 1. The nearby overflow campgrounds usually open June 1, but that's because their neighbor State Park is full by then.

US Forest campgrounds are usually open if the snow is gone and you're brave enough to take the road to get there.

We've camped in March a few times and had no problem getting a campsite. In fact, we've never seen a campground in Minnesota even half-full before April 15 and rarely before May 20.

Of course, if you're talking commercial campgrounds we wouldn't know, because we avoid them like the plague. We call those places ghetto's.

Enjoy,

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Perryb67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 10:41 AM   #17

Name: Jeff
Trailer: in the market
New York
Quote:
Hello everyone...first post here. I'm a total newbie to the RV world but looking to get a rig and get on with exploring the country. You could say I'm having kind of any early life crisis having turned 30 and slowly balding (yikes!). I have this extreme desire to travel and make memories as it feels like time is rolling quicker than I'd like.

Anyways, I am interested in a 13ft Scamp to pull with my 2005 Ford Escape. I contacted Jim at Scamp asking about current pricing and deposit information. Wow these things really hold their value! Normally I buy used whenever possible, but it seems like the comparable used units are selling for just a few thousand less than a new one. Jim told me that they require a $500 deposit but that it is refundable should I decide to cancel the order. Build completion date as of today - February 2018.

I have 2 questions:

I put the deposit on a Scamp in November 2015 for Spring pickup...I had to cancel, which I did in April of 2016, and I had a refund in a few days...I think they are good people at Scamp...I sill like the Scamp's and I'm still considering getting one in the future...
RV Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 12:58 PM   #18

Name: mark
Trailer: ,Retro by Riverside RV
California
I got a full refund from Scamp, when I decided to go with Casita. My understanding is, as long as you ask BEFORE production starts, Scamp is very generous about refunding your $500.

Mark
Old 08-03-2017, 05:26 PM   #19

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:

I have 2 questions:

Have you considered a Casita. They are very nice units and from what I'm seeing on this forum have better options or are better made. Seems like a lot of complaints on Scamps. Almost all Casita's have a bathroom with at least a toilet. They also hold their value well. So far with all the Casita campouts we have gone to no one has had any complaints on their unit as far as problems. We spent a night in TX when we got ours and the only thing we found was the screen door drug a little so the next day they adjusted it and we are happy campers. We have a 2007 17' Casita. Check all your options on brands and quality. Some people don't mind not having a toilet, a furnace, a hot water heater or good fridge. I consider those necessities. Write down all you wants and then purchase.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 11:02 AM   #20

Florida
Lifting geek,
I have nothing against Casitas. I had my son's Casita 16 for a year and bought a Scamp 16. Both rigs met the need but the Scamp 16 was taller inside by 3 inches, looked bigger inside because it had a side bathroom and was lighter to tow, an important consideration when towing with our 4 cylinder tow vehicle. We were e at a Casita rally in TX and virtually every Casita owner asked if we had a Scamp 17.

Both the Casita 16 and the Casita 17 are nose heavy, but particularly the Casita 17. There is of course no Scamp 17.

I think both companies make quality products, actually at one time both companies were located in Backus, MN.

As well since you're tested in a 13, I don't believe Casita makes a 13 any longer. You're also seeing Escape giving up short trailers, I believe recently dropping the Escape 15.

Wish you well in your selection. We've now traveled in 3 different small trailers, from our perspective it's not about the trailer, I loved them all... Love the one your with.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16

Tags
scamp