Totaled tow vehicle while pulling camper - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-25-2015, 10:48 AM   #15
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
A few years back I was coming down the Niagara Escarpment on my pedal bike doing about 40klm/hr and I noticed a deer running along the road beside me. For no reason it turned and ran right across the road in front of me. What the heck. Not a lot of common sense when it comes to deers.

Old 06-25-2015, 01:52 PM   #16

Name: Roger
Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300 "Homelet"/2014 Subaru Outback "Rosie"
Washington
Registry
Cool Comment

Animals, when they get scared, will run BACK to the last place they felt safe, is the explanation of why they will suddenly run back in front of you.

65mph at night? I recall that speed limits (in Wisconsin) were 65 day/55 night. I don't know if that still applies.

Secondly, check the speed rating on your tires. Trailer tires have lower speed ratings than cars.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 02:19 PM   #17

Name: Andy
Trailer: Trillium
Colorado
Hey Roger,

Yea, they're are some roads within the state that are marked at 55 at night. I know there are some up by Steamboat. This road wasn't marked but I should have been driving slower anyways. The officer made a comment that they've been wanting that area marked in some way due to all the wildlife activity in that area.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 06-25-2015, 04:01 PM   #18

Name: Larry.
Trailer: UHAUL Ct13
California
Wow, that's scary. Glad no one was hurt.

Through the valley of death.
Old 06-25-2015, 04:19 PM   #19

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Glad no one was hurt! Grew up in deer country so have had the misfortunate of hitting one some years ago. Not sure I would want to mess with an elk or a moose! scary.

I had a very near miss on the I5 in the middle of the day time between Seattle and Bellingham a couple of weeks ago - doing 65mph pulling the trailer & a young deer jump out on the road in front of me. Was passing someone so I could not change lanes to miss it.... there was that very long second that you stop breathing and pray he doesnt do as deer will sometimes do, look up and then stop dead! He did the final leap out of way - missed him by only a few feet.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 06:32 PM   #20

Name: Fallon
Trailer: Shopping
Colorado
The hood on all remotely recent vehicles has a weak spot so the fold in half like that rather than come through the window.

Personally I wouldn't lift a vehicle to protect from deer or elk, it won't help that much. Guards do help prevent damage to crumple zones. I'd prefer if the crumple zones crumpled as designed to protected me & my passengers. It sounds like yours did their job & protected you perfectly.
Old 06-25-2015, 07:19 PM   #21

Colorado
Hey Fallon,

I'm pretty impressed at how the vehicle handled it! I've thought about how I hit them without being on the brakes and wonder if it would've gone differently if I was on the brakes and hit them with the front end dipped down. There's no way to know, but I've thought about it. I dont think any guard would hold up to two elk, maybe a deer though. I think at least a push bar with lights would be helpful for driving at night in remote areas. Something I'll try to avoid from now on.

Old 06-25-2015, 10:35 PM   #22

Colorado
Another thing.... The officer on scene told me they installed those deer whistles or whatever on their vehicles and saw a 70% decrease in wildlife accidents over the last 10 years. I always thought those things were just gimmicks. Anyone have any experience with them?

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 06-27-2015, 12:32 AM   #23

Name: Randy
Trailer: 1980Trillium 1300
Ontario
Oh, deer. Big waam!... and that's it....

With my little Toyota Matrix wagon, brand-new( 3 months old ) I collided with a deer in the dark, on hw 401, w/o ever applying brake @ speed of 120km per hour ( no trailer). It happened 6 years ago. RESULT: the deer was dead ( female, big one), my car was fixed which costs 16K Can $. Air-bag was still in tact. At that moment, steering was impossible, brake no work, wind-shield blocked by hood, radiator broke, all lights popped up in dash, smoke came out from engine, car was stalled after a few seconds almost right on the middle of hw. I only had a few seconds to hit emergency flashing and... jump out of vehicle, running fast toward grass, opposite direction of car travelling. Luckily @ night time, those big trucks were not crowded on hw that time... After that, I installed 2 "deer warning" whistles @ front bumper( aftermarket) Not sure if these whistles have any effect at all but I drive more cautious at night, during deer season...Share with you....
Old 06-27-2015, 12:57 AM   #24

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2015 F150 Lariat Ecoboost Crew Cab
Texas
Registry
I second the relief that nobody was hurt. Deer and Elk represent a serious safety hazard when driving. Almost 40 years ago when I was a teenager, I was riding a Honda 350 motorcycle in a little canyon near my home in Utah. It was right about sunset. I saw a small deer on the side of the road and slowed down as I approached it. Just as I got up to where it was, it bolted directly in front of the bike and I struck it dead center. Over the handlebars and skidding down the road I went. Luckily, I was wearing a helmet, and had only been traveling at 30 mph. The deer hobbled off injured and I went to the hospital with a serious case of road rash in about 5 places. Lesson learned. Since that day I avoid traveling at night in deer country, and if I have to do so, I do it slow.
Old 06-27-2015, 01:09 AM   #25

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
My buddy was driving my Subaru wagon and I couldn't understand why we were plodding along a 50 mph behind a semi, until the semi came to an abrupt stop, filling the air with tire smoke. All of his lights were on and it looked like a scene from Apocalypse Now, the smoke swirling in the glare.
We searched the ditches, but found no sign of the moose. Semi had a shattered fender.
Learned to follow a semi in moose country.
Old 06-27-2015, 01:16 AM   #26

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2015 F150 Lariat Ecoboost Crew Cab
Texas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Learned to follow a semi in moose country.
Absolutely! Imagine what would have happened if it was your Subaru instead of the truck. Might have looked like this one.
Attached Thumbnails
Subaru-moose-collision-front-side.jpg  
Old 06-27-2015, 09:49 AM   #27

Name: Adrian
Trailer: 2007 Escape 5.0
Manitoba
That Subaru looks like our son's Mustang after hitting cow and calf moose. He had just dropped his girlfriend (now wife) off! He was Ok not the moose. I had to watch OPP shoot the cow!

Old 06-27-2015, 10:04 AM   #28

Name: Gene
Trailer: Scamp
North Dakota
Registry
I have a grill guard on my pickup and would have one on my mini van if they made them for it. It's pretty heavy duty. The one I got I ordered from a company in Florida. They delivered free shipping and it was about $300 cheaper than any local store too boot. Although I don't think it would have prevented a lot of damage from Elk I'm pretty sure it will really help with deer collisions and prevent a pheasant in my grill that could damage the radiator.