Tours - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-26-2011, 04:54 PM   #1

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Tours

Two more tours today. I think we need to keep track and add a sign that says tours 1-2PM

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 06:34 PM   #2

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
We never really get tired of sharing the egg philsophy, or touring, but several times multiple "lookies" have kept us beyond our departure time at the campground.
On the other hand, we've had wonderful conversations, and made local acquaintances, and generally had a great time answering the usual questions... We've learned to quietly, and politely, defer inquiries to another time or place if we're not prepared, or ready to leave, or just want some time alone.
Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 09:49 PM   #3

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
I think we need to keep track and add a sign that says tours 1-2PM
How about a guest book to sign?
Old 11-27-2011, 09:11 AM   #4

Name: Carol
Trailer: Chalet XL for sale. Hoping to get a Snoozy.
New York
The funniest "tour" I remember was when I was waiting in line to get on the Cape May ferry. I was first in line with about 20 trailers and RV's behind me. The inspector came to me first and said he had to look inside the trailer so I opened the door and he checked it out. I watched him go down the line and he did not check out any other trailer. He was just curious! Then while on the ferry, other car drivers asked to see it. They were shocked that a woman was driving a trailer alone. When I came back down to get in the car, there were a few others waiting to see it.
CarolMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 11:18 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolMarie View Post
The funniest "tour" I remember was when I was waiting in line to get on the Cape May ferry. I was first in line with about 20 trailers and RV's behind me. The inspector came to me first and said he had to look inside the trailer so I opened the door and he checked it out. I watched him go down the line and he did not check out any other trailer. He was just curious! Then while on the ferry, other car drivers asked to see it. They were shocked that a woman was driving a trailer alone. When I came back down to get in the car, there were a few others waiting to see it.
Had the same thing happen at a California Ag inspection station. The inspector asked to see the inside & admitted afterward that he didn't need to but wanted to see what it looked like.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 11:23 AM   #6

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
We always ask, "Do you want the quick ten-second tour, or the full length 30-second tour?"
jack maloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 12:07 PM   #7

Florida
I like the guest book idea. Regardless we've decided to keep track over the period of our trip this year. So far six official tours, people who come inside. Most tours are usually couples.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 11-27-2011, 12:31 PM   #8

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All... How about a sign that says "The Doctor is in... 5 Cents"?
Sometimes after we're set up I sit down with a beer and keep track of time till the first "Tourist"arrives. Usually 15 min. or less.
We have given tours at every campground, gas stn.,& Wall o mart we've ever been to... It never ends...but we're always happy to oblige!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
Staceys Escape.jpg  
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 04:03 PM   #9

Trailer: 1984 U-Haul / 02 Mazda pick up
Strange, on our last trip of 6 months and 12,000 miles, we never had anyone ask to see inside except a couple of people in RV parks. Not what we expected.
Bud Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 07:26 PM   #10

Florida
Tour 7 since we left NH.

A single tour in of our Scamp can consist of any number, though it's usually a couple, and it requires coming into the trailer.

I admit it's sometimes inconvenient; we once had two half hour tours in a grocery store parking lot in northern Maine. We feel we are ambassadors of Fiberglass trailers, most people don't have much of an opportunity to see them much less talk to an experienced traveler.

Most common questions...

Do you have a bathroom?
What do you do on rainy days?

RVing woman from larger rigs usually comment that they need to get rid of some of there stuff.

We like St Mary's GA and plan to spend another day.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 11-29-2011, 03:45 PM   #11

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Kennedy View Post
Strange, on our last trip of 6 months and 12,000 miles, we never had anyone ask to see inside except a couple of people in RV parks. Not what we expected.
Same thing on our last three camping trips - no apparent interest. The closest we came to giving a tour recently was when a lady at Burger King pulled up next to our parked egg, rolled down the window, and asked if it had AC. She didn't bother to get out of her car and didn't ask for a tour.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 03:56 PM   #12

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
We still give lots of tours most places we camp. The most memorable was when we pulled into Grass Lake Rest Area, CA. I don't remember why but I went into the trailer before heading into the little building. When I came out of the trailer there was line of 5 to 8 people ( I didn't count). The tours began, just as we finished up with the last a lady yelled from across the parking lot something "I wanna see too" and then she ran to the trailer. Of course, I gave her the tour too. Then I locked the door and ran to the little building.
Old 11-29-2011, 04:08 PM   #13

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
We still give lots of tours most places we camp. The most memorable was when we pulled into Grass Lake Rest Area, CA. I don't remember why but I went into the trailer before heading into the little building. When I came out of the trailer there was line of 5 to 8 people ( I didn't count). The tours began, just as we finished up with the last a lady yelled from across the parking lot something "I wanna see too" and then she ran to the trailer. Of course, I gave her the tour too. Then I locked the door and ran to the little building.
When you came out and saw the line, did it flash through your mind that they might have thought it was a Porta-potti?
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 04:42 PM   #14

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
Maybe it is because the Escapes are more rare than some of the other "eggs", but I seem to end up showing my 17B many, many times. A favorite was coming out to the Tillamook Cheese Factory in OR & finding 2 families sitting in folding chairs gathered around the trailer. They were waiting for me to come out & give a tour.

I do find there is more interest in state & federal parks than in commercial campgrounds.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 05:41 PM   #15

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Kennedy View Post
Maybe it is something about the fact that it is a Uhaul? We used to get lots of people wanting to look at our Burro. With our VT, not so much. We thought it was the size. Maybe it is the Uhaul brand???

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 07:03 PM   #16

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyL View Post
Maybe it is something about the fact that it is a Uhaul? We used to get lots of people wanting to look at our Burro. With our VT, not so much. We thought it was the size. Maybe it is the Uhaul brand???

CindyL

Could be, but from similar reports I think it has more to do with the size.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:32 PM   #17

Florida
Tour reasons

I think there are three primary reasons people want a tour. First are those that are seriously interested in the possibility of purchasing a fiberglass rig. Second are those who wonder how two crazy kids like us can survive in this small volume for 11 months. Third are those who want to see our modifications, principally other fiberglass owners.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 11-29-2011, 07:37 PM   #18

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Could be, but from similar reports I think it has more to do with the size.
Yes, I always assumed that size was the reason. My previous camper was a 13' Burro, and we got more comments. However, that does not explain why both Bud (13' Uhaul) who has and I (16' Uhaul) have not had as many lookyloos. What we get, and I assume Bud would too, are people who say, "I did not know Uhaul rented campers." I wish I had a dollar for each time I have heard that. I just wonder if people assume it is a rental, so they don't ask as much.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 10:25 AM   #19

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
When you came out and saw the line, did it flash through your mind that they might have thought it was a Porta-potti?
Before we bought one, my wife always referred to molded fiberglass trailers as "outhouses on wheels." It wasn't until she actually got inside our own egg that she was convinced buying one was a pretty good choice for us.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:27 PM   #20

Florida
# 10

Our 10th tour today. A number of people have been Casita 16 owners or had been in last winter's Casita 16. Virtually everyone that's been in both asks how much larger the Scamp is. I believe three factors give that impression 1. the additional height, 2. the front window and 3. the additioanl 6" width in the space between the counters.

Ginny came to an interesting conclusion today for a future modification. She suggested extending the side bath to the front, moving the toilet into the new front section and leaving the existing bath/shower area as a traditional dry shower.

I had considered that idea, maybe next time.

I've also considered extending a foot space over our rear bumper box and fairing that whole volume into the back with fiberglass, making a cuter bumper box. This would allow a walk around convertible bed with a small pullout couch and two small easy chairs.

In the above configuration the kitchen would move to the front of the trailer.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16