Tow a 97 Casita 13' with a 95 Odyssey? - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-18-2008, 09:59 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
About to buy a sweet 1997 Casita 13', but really not up to a new car right now. My 95 Odyssey has a GVWR of 1100 lbs and the seller claims a dry weight of 950. My mechanic is very comfortable with me towing this (we live near DC, no huge mountains nearby).

What do you think? I have never towed anything and am afraid I am being blinded by my love of this trailer to the reality of my vehicle.

We also have a 95 Accord V6 sedan. GVWR of 4000 lbs (that's what it says in the door jamb!) but very little room for stuff. We don't bring tons, but two adults, two gradeschoolers, one dog, two inflatable kayaks...it adds up.

Also, anyone have any experience putting four friendly people in a 13' trailer with one double and one twin bed? Kids say they don't mind an air mattress on the galley floor. Husband is 6'4'' but super-skinny.

Thank you for any advice you can offer. This forum has been a big help to me.

Old 04-19-2008, 07:00 AM   #2

Name: james
Trailer: Boler 1984
Ontario
I just went and looked at the new Accord, V6, yesterday. Their brochure doesn't even give a GVWR rating. Probably to do with their 'Variable Cylinder Management' that reduces the engine from 6 to 4 to 3 cylinders when conditions are met.
Sounds great for mileage but that tranny's got to do overtime.

Old 04-19-2008, 07:15 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Umm, are you guys aware that the GVWR is the rating for the car, not the trailer? The number to look for is either the GCWR (combined truck and trailer) or the tow capacity (usually found in Owner's Manual.

The math goes something like this GCWR - CurbWeight - passengers/cargo - hitchgear - TongueWeight = TrailerWeight (on axles).

I think the Odyssey has a tow rating of something like 3,500 lbs which is more than sufficient.
Old 04-20-2008, 12:51 PM   #4

Name: Patrick
Trailer: 2007 Casita Liberty (Sold 2011)/ Honda Odyssey
Arizona
That early an Odyssey may not have the 3,500# tow capacity that Pete mentioned, so that is the first thing you need to verify, then use Pete's formula to figure out all the other limits.

Good luck!
Old 04-20-2008, 03:23 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
BTW, the GVWR of TV or egg has its uses in estimating because one should never exceed them.

So in the calculation above, the curb weight, passengers, cargo, hitch equipment and tongue weight all together could be considered at max at GVWR. Subtract GVWR from GCWR and one has a for-sure low-end tow capacity. Likewise, the GVWR of the trailer, apparently derived from the axle specs, is the most the trailer should weigh.

If GCWR - GVWR(TV) is still greater than GVWR(egg), then there is plenty of tow capacity.

The Bulgemobile trailer guys use the trailer GVWR when looking at different models and matching to their trucks.
Old 04-20-2008, 03:56 PM   #6

Name: Per
Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft Widebody towed by Touareg TDI
Oregon
Registry
Patrick is right: any comparison with the '99 and later Odysseys has to take into account that they are entirely different vehicles.
Old 04-20-2008, 04:46 PM   #7

Name: james
Trailer: Boler 1984
Ontario
Yeah Pete, You're right. I typed it wrong but neither is given in their brochure anyways. Did find it later at 1000lbs.
Old 04-20-2008, 05:01 PM   #8

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
The early Odysseys were more like the current Mazda5's then a true mini-van. Neat cars but they were too small to compete with the true mini-vans of the time.
Old 04-21-2008, 02:28 PM   #9

Quote:
The early Odysseys were more like the current Mazda5's then a true mini-van. Neat cars but they were too small to compete with the true mini-vans of the time.
They are VERY NICE and small! In fact, my insurance company (USAA) considers it a station wagon, so technically I am still cool and do not drive a minivan.

Decided against the Casita anyhow. When I had to turn off my A/C so that I could make it up the seller's driveway, I thought maybe God was giving me a hint on my actual towing capacity.

Thank you to each of you for the information. I'm going to have to head to the 'motorcycle camper' forum until I get a bigger TV.
Old 04-21-2008, 02:28 PM   #10

Check your owners manual for your Odyssey. There are six pages of good information on trailer towing in there. The max
trailer weight varies depending on number of passengers (and other load) in the van from 1600 lbs @ 2 passengers to 1000 lbs
@ 6 passengers. Passengers includes drivers. I have towed many different kinds trailers with mine with no problems. Just for reference mine is a 1995 EX model 6 passenger with a 4 cylinder engine.

Tags
casita