Tow Vehicle - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-07-2007, 06:04 PM   #29
Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson

OT: Click and Clack discussed run-flat tires in their column today. Totally convinced me that this is something to avoid like the plague. Short tire life, very expensive to replace ($250 each), and requires special equipment to mount not yet widely available.

Of course, if one has lots of money and wants the benefit then maybe a good idea.
link to an earlier run flat tire discussion

This was my conclusion, too.
I have never heard of "Run Flats".Are they those stupid spair tires which are smaller than regular tire.?
Those are "Limited Duty Spares" a.k.a. "Doughnuts" which were meant to improve fuel economy by reducing the amount of weight of the vehicle.

Frederick - The Scaleman
1978 Fiber Stream 16 named "Eggstasy" & 1971 Compact Jr. named "Boomerang"
Frederick L. Simson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 11:56 PM   #30
Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
I think that depends on what kind of AWD you get. On my Hyundai Santa Fe (and many other AWD vehicles, Subaru being the only exception I know of) only a minimal amount of energy is transmitted to the rear wheels most of the time.

The other thing about AWD on the Santa Fe (and many other vehicles) is it actually reduces your towing capacity. My AWD Santa Fe has a maximum tow capacity of 2200lbs; the FWD version can pull 2700lbs...
Good points, Peter, to keep in mind when considering other AWD vehicles. I was referring specifically to the Sienna, which has a centre differential and 50/50 initial torque split (all wheels truly do drive) and the same tow rating regardless of AWD versus FWD. There are many ways to do AWD, and Toyota has pretty well done them all. Subaru specializes in all-wheel-drive, and does a fine job of it, but they're far from the only ones. The British invented high-performance on-road all-wheel-drive, and Audi popularized it.

Some vehicles have higher ratings with AWD (likely due to suspension tuning differences, or better stability in low traction conditions), and for most trucks the towing capacity is just reduced by the weight of the extra drive hardware. For the Sienna, the extra weight would reduce the cargo you can carry, and indirectly reduce the maximum trailer weight in combination with lots of cargo, which may be a consideration for Candi.

Might be true for some vehicles, but clearly not all of them. None of the AWD vehicles we looked at in 2001 had run-flats, and the Santa Fe we bought had a full-size spare.
I was referring specifically to the Sienna. This space-for-a-spare problem is likely one reason that most minivan makers do not offer AWD, especially since they are now making the seats fold into the floor. The other vehicles with run-flats are typically sports cars with big tires and too-small trunks (not typical towing candidates).

Candi, it sounds like you have a good handle on the run-flat tire situation. You do have the option of carrying a full-sized spare (and if you carry it all the time, using normal instead of run-flat tires), but the only good place to put it (if you don't want it on the roof rack) is in the well behind the wider side of the third row seat, which would then not be able to fold down into the floor... kind of like having some other brands of minivan

1979 Boler B1700RGH, pulled by 2004 Toyota Sienna LE 2WD
Information is good. Lack of information is not so good, but misinformation is much worse. Check facts, and apply common sense liberally.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 07:40 AM   #31
Those are "Limited Duty Spares" a.k.a. "Doughnuts" which were meant to improve fuel economy by reducing the amount of weight of the vehicle.
OK, I'm drifting off topic here, but you can think yourself lucky if you have one of these space-saver spare tyres. In order to save even more space, my car is equipped with a special collapsed, uninflated space-saver tyre - inside the centre of the spare wheel is an electric tyre pump that has to be used to inflate the spare tyre prior to use!

Andrew Gibbens is offline   Reply With Quote