Tow Vehicle for Trillium 5500 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-22-2006, 02:40 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Hello, What size motor is needed to tow a Trillium 5500 travel trailer? I've been told it wieghs approxamately 2200lbs??? I don't know if this is acurate - so if anybody knows the real facts , would you send me a line. Does anyone know if a 2001 Ford Ranger 3.0L manual trans will pull a 1980 Trillium 5500? Any input on this matter would be sincereely appreciated. Thank You, Dave
David John Keller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 02:44 PM   #2

I think you should look in your vehical manual for tow rating for your truck.My 4.3 truck is rated for 4900lbs,my 3.5 is rated for 3500lbs.This is a start for you.

A manual trany will pull less than a automatic trany.
Old 12-22-2006, 02:47 PM   #3

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
The 5500 is a bit longer but narrower than my Boler B1700, and the weight quoted is about that same as for my Boler. I would guess that the 2200 lb value is for the trailer dry and empty; if so, allow for water, propane, and cargo as well.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 07:52 PM   #4

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Hello, What size motor is needed to tow a Trillium 5500 travel trailer?

Thank You, Dave
Dave, generally speaking any engine large enough to drive a six speaker stereo system will be large enough to tow a Trillium 5500.

Ok, I'm being facetious of course... Tow ratings are based on a variety of factors, engine size being only one. The transmission's capabilities, suspension, hitch, etc. etc. etc. all figure in. Ford Rangers vary from 1,000 lb tow capacity to 5,000 lbs depending on the year, transmission, engine, etc. etc. The only way to know what a specific Ranger will tow is to check it's owner's manual.

Trailer weight is also only one factor in towing. Wheelbase, tow vehicle weight, hitch equipment, and brake controllers are also all very important in towing. Remember that dragging the trailer behind the trailer is the easy part. Stopping it or emergency maneuvering it under the worst possible conditions are what all of the other 'stuff' is for.

All that said, again generally speaking... any half-ton pickup with a six cylinder with a minimum 3500 lb tow rating should generally do fine with any of the fiberglass trailers.

Happy hunting!

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 08:12 PM   #5

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Quote:
Hello, What size motor is needed to tow a Trillium 5500 travel trailer? I've been told it wieghs approxamately 2200lbs??? I don't know if this is acurate - so if anybody knows the real facts , would you send me a line. Does anyone know if a 2001 Ford Ranger 3.0L manual trans will pull a 1980 Trillium 5500? Any input on this matter would be sincereely appreciated. Thank You, Dave
I own a Ford Ranger Edge 3.0L automatic and I have towed my scamp with it. I was not comfortable towing long distances with it though. My concerns were with power and pulling long hills. My Ranger Edge max's out at 2200lb towing capacity. Your ranger might have a higher towing capacity. Check the owners manual. Part of towing is also your comfort level in being able to tow properly. That comes from putting miles on the road.
dsheets70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 10:56 AM   #6

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
I run my 5500 behind my Lumina mini van, it's a 1995 with a 3.8 automatic and a factory tow package.

I think you'll find the tow weight closer to the 2800 mark, when you're ready to go.
Joe
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 09:23 AM   #7

Quote:
I think you should look in your vehical manual for tow rating for your truck.My 4.3 truck is rated for 4900lbs,my 3.5 is rated for 3500lbs.This is a start for you.

A manual trany will pull less than a automatic trany.
Hello, Thanks for the input on towing vehicles. --- Dave ---
Old 12-25-2006, 09:25 AM   #8

Quote:
The 5500 is a bit longer but narrower than my Boler B1700, and the weight quoted is about that same as for my Boler. I would guess that the 2200 lb value is for the trailer dry and empty; if so, allow for water, propane, and cargo as well.
Hello, Thank you for your heads up on cargo weight. --- Dave ---
Old 12-25-2006, 09:26 AM   #9

Quote:
Dave, generally speaking any engine large enough to drive a six speaker stereo system will be large enough to tow a Trillium 5500.

Ok, I'm being facetious of course... Tow ratings are based on a variety of factors, engine size being only one. The transmission's capabilities, suspension, hitch, etc. etc. etc. all figure in. Ford Rangers vary from 1,000 lb tow capacity to 5,000 lbs depending on the year, transmission, engine, etc. etc. The only way to know what a specific Ranger will tow is to check it's owner's manual.

Trailer weight is also only one factor in towing. Wheelbase, tow vehicle weight, hitch equipment, and brake controllers are also all very important in towing. Remember that dragging the trailer behind the trailer is the easy part. Stopping it or emergency maneuvering it under the worst possible conditions are what all of the other 'stuff' is for.

All that said, again generally speaking... any half-ton pickup with a six cylinder with a minimum 3500 lb tow rating should generally do fine with any of the fiberglass trailers.

Happy hunting!

Roger
Old 12-25-2006, 09:33 AM   #10

Quote:
I own a Ford Ranger Edge 3.0L automatic and I have towed my scamp with it. I was not comfortable towing long distances with it though. My concerns were with power and pulling long hills. My Ranger Edge max's out at 2200lb towing capacity. Your ranger might have a higher towing capacity. Check the owners manual. Part of towing is also your comfort level in being able to tow properly. That comes from putting miles on the road.
Hello, Thanks for sharing your Ranger towing experience - very valuable info. Thank You, Dave
Old 12-25-2006, 09:35 AM   #11

Quote:
Hello, Thanks for the input on towing vehicles. --- Dave ---
Hello, Good benchmark info for towing capacity. Thank You, Dave

Tags
trillium