Tow Vehicle for Trillium 5500 - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-22-2006, 02:40 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Posts: 9
Hello, What size motor is needed to tow a Trillium 5500 travel trailer? I've been told it wieghs approxamately 2200lbs??? I don't know if this is acurate - so if anybody knows the real facts , would you send me a line. Does anyone know if a 2001 Ford Ranger 3.0L manual trans will pull a 1980 Trillium 5500? Any input on this matter would be sincereely appreciated. Thank You, Dave
__________________

__________________
David John Keller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 02:44 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Chester Taje's Avatar
 
Name: Ches
Trailer: 1992 Kustom Koach 17 FT
British Columbia
Posts: 4,897
I think you should look in your vehical manual for tow rating for your truck.My 4.3 truck is rated for 4900lbs,my 3.5 is rated for 3500lbs.This is a start for you.

A manual trany will pull less than a automatic trany.
__________________

__________________
Retired Underground Coal Miner.
Served in Canadian Army (1PPCLI)
Chester Taje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 02:47 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Brian B-P's Avatar
 
Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Posts: 5,000
The 5500 is a bit longer but narrower than my Boler B1700, and the weight quoted is about that same as for my Boler. I would guess that the 2200 lb value is for the trailer dry and empty; if so, allow for water, propane, and cargo as well.
__________________
1979 Boler B1700RGH, pulled by 2004 Toyota Sienna LE 2WD
Information is good. Lack of information is not so good, but misinformation is much worse. Check facts, and apply common sense liberally.
STATUS: No longer active in forum.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 07:52 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Roger H's Avatar
 
Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
Posts: 5,000
Quote:
Hello, What size motor is needed to tow a Trillium 5500 travel trailer?

Thank You, Dave
Dave, generally speaking any engine large enough to drive a six speaker stereo system will be large enough to tow a Trillium 5500.

Ok, I'm being facetious of course... Tow ratings are based on a variety of factors, engine size being only one. The transmission's capabilities, suspension, hitch, etc. etc. etc. all figure in. Ford Rangers vary from 1,000 lb tow capacity to 5,000 lbs depending on the year, transmission, engine, etc. etc. The only way to know what a specific Ranger will tow is to check it's owner's manual.

Trailer weight is also only one factor in towing. Wheelbase, tow vehicle weight, hitch equipment, and brake controllers are also all very important in towing. Remember that dragging the trailer behind the trailer is the easy part. Stopping it or emergency maneuvering it under the worst possible conditions are what all of the other 'stuff' is for.

All that said, again generally speaking... any half-ton pickup with a six cylinder with a minimum 3500 lb tow rating should generally do fine with any of the fiberglass trailers.

Happy hunting!

Roger
__________________
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 08:12 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Posts: 120
Quote:
Hello, What size motor is needed to tow a Trillium 5500 travel trailer? I've been told it wieghs approxamately 2200lbs??? I don't know if this is acurate - so if anybody knows the real facts , would you send me a line. Does anyone know if a 2001 Ford Ranger 3.0L manual trans will pull a 1980 Trillium 5500? Any input on this matter would be sincereely appreciated. Thank You, Dave
I own a Ford Ranger Edge 3.0L automatic and I have towed my scamp with it. I was not comfortable towing long distances with it though. My concerns were with power and pulling long hills. My Ranger Edge max's out at 2200lb towing capacity. Your ranger might have a higher towing capacity. Check the owners manual. Part of towing is also your comfort level in being able to tow properly. That comes from putting miles on the road.
__________________
dsheets70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 10:56 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Joe MacDonald's Avatar
 
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
Posts: 753
I run my 5500 behind my Lumina mini van, it's a 1995 with a 3.8 automatic and a factory tow package.

I think you'll find the tow weight closer to the 2800 mark, when you're ready to go.
Joe
__________________
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 09:23 AM   #7
Junior Member
 
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Posts: 9
Quote:
I think you should look in your vehical manual for tow rating for your truck.My 4.3 truck is rated for 4900lbs,my 3.5 is rated for 3500lbs.This is a start for you.

A manual trany will pull less than a automatic trany.
Hello, Thanks for the input on towing vehicles. --- Dave ---
__________________
David John Keller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 09:25 AM   #8
Junior Member
 
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Posts: 9
Quote:
The 5500 is a bit longer but narrower than my Boler B1700, and the weight quoted is about that same as for my Boler. I would guess that the 2200 lb value is for the trailer dry and empty; if so, allow for water, propane, and cargo as well.
Hello, Thank you for your heads up on cargo weight. --- Dave ---
__________________
David John Keller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 09:26 AM   #9
Junior Member
 
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Posts: 9
Quote:
Dave, generally speaking any engine large enough to drive a six speaker stereo system will be large enough to tow a Trillium 5500.

Ok, I'm being facetious of course... Tow ratings are based on a variety of factors, engine size being only one. The transmission's capabilities, suspension, hitch, etc. etc. etc. all figure in. Ford Rangers vary from 1,000 lb tow capacity to 5,000 lbs depending on the year, transmission, engine, etc. etc. The only way to know what a specific Ranger will tow is to check it's owner's manual.

Trailer weight is also only one factor in towing. Wheelbase, tow vehicle weight, hitch equipment, and brake controllers are also all very important in towing. Remember that dragging the trailer behind the trailer is the easy part. Stopping it or emergency maneuvering it under the worst possible conditions are what all of the other 'stuff' is for.

All that said, again generally speaking... any half-ton pickup with a six cylinder with a minimum 3500 lb tow rating should generally do fine with any of the fiberglass trailers.

Happy hunting!

Roger
__________________
David John Keller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 09:33 AM   #10
Junior Member
 
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Posts: 9
Quote:
I own a Ford Ranger Edge 3.0L automatic and I have towed my scamp with it. I was not comfortable towing long distances with it though. My concerns were with power and pulling long hills. My Ranger Edge max's out at 2200lb towing capacity. Your ranger might have a higher towing capacity. Check the owners manual. Part of towing is also your comfort level in being able to tow properly. That comes from putting miles on the road.
Hello, Thanks for sharing your Ranger towing experience - very valuable info. Thank You, Dave
__________________
David John Keller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 09:35 AM   #11
Junior Member
 
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Posts: 9
Quote:
Hello, Thanks for the input on towing vehicles. --- Dave ---
Hello, Good benchmark info for towing capacity. Thank You, Dave
__________________

__________________
David John Keller is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
trillium


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1976 13' Trillium and 1980 Trillium 5500 18' Jenn Classified Archives 10 05-19-2010 03:36 PM
trillium 5500 Janice M Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers 10 02-07-2008 06:43 PM
Trillium 5500 Al Stansell General Chat 25 06-28-2007 09:04 PM
Trillium 5500 Chester Taje General Chat 14 02-27-2007 07:20 PM
TRILLIUM 5500 Classified Archives 0 12-31-1969 07:00 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.