Towed a Wide Trailer, Happy Scamp isn't - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-09-2012, 11:28 AM   #1
Name: Adrian
Trailer: Lance 1985~'Casita de Campo' ~23' 4"~Dinette Slide Previously: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette, Front Bath
New Mexico
Smile Towed a Wide Trailer, Happy Scamp isn't

I rented a U-Haul Auto Transport Trailer (Empty weight: 2,210 lbs.) last week to take to Clovis, NM to pickup a VW Baja Bug I was buying. 600 mile round trip.

It has been a long time since I've towed anything as wide, sure needed to watch in traffic & on the road more to make sure the trailer didn't hit anything.

Gotten spoiled with the Scamp being nice & narrow.

It was a marathon 601 mile drive to Clovis, NM & back. We rented the car carrier & left the U-Haul place at 9 am; got to Clovis around 2 pm or so. Left Clovis at about 5:10 pm & got back home around 11:30 pm or so.

The Baja Bug is Far from finished, but hopefully, it want take too much more to get it finished. Has a lot of new parts as well as old parts. It may be a great buy, it might be a folly. Time will tell. It does have a molded fiberglass front (which tilts up), rear finders & the rear engine deck or cover.

My wife & I got it off the trailer & parked after getting it home. We also unloaded what was behind the front seats of the Ford F150 (our bags to do an overnight if we had to). In the house by 12:20 am. Not to shabby for a couple of Seniors. Ha!

I got the trailer back by 9 am the next morning as well.

Narrow is nice when towing, it reminded me.

Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:38 PM   #2
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
I got tired just reading your post Glad you got home safely, nice looking ride BTW!

Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:49 PM   #3
Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit 17
British Columbia
Quite the trip, Bug looks great.
Yes, I keep pondering a Bigfoot but the width always puts me off.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:11 PM   #4
Name: Dave
Trailer: Seeking Bigfoot 25 RB
British Columbia
So long as you have good mirrors, trailer width should not be an issue. Yes, if you get "absent minded" at an inopportune time, you can bash the trailer on a gas station pump island (seen it done) but you do that with a smaller one too!

I love the increased floor space and roominess of my Bigfoot 21
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote