Towing a Hybrid with a Rav4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2007, 11:21 AM   #1

Trailer: 19 ft Hybrid
Hi!
I am brand new to the site and was looking for information regarding towing. I am looking at buying a Rav4 V6 with a trailer towing package and have a Hybrid camper that weighs 2800 lbs. Does anyone have any experience towing this amount of weight with this or similar vehicle?
I appreciate any response.
Roger
Roger Cumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 12:00 PM   #2

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Hi Roger,

what does your manual say?
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 12:34 PM   #3

Trailer: 19 ft Hybrid
Quote:
Hi!
I am brand new to the site and was looking for information regarding towing. I am looking at buying a Rav4 V6 with a trailer towing package and have a Hybrid camper that weighs 2800 lbs. Does anyone have any experience towing this amount of weight with this or similar vehicle?
I appreciate any response.
Roger
Hey Gina,
It says 3500 lbs., but I am wondering if there is enough power, etc. to do the job safely. I am also trying to get rid of a '97 Silverado that I presently use. My problem is I have a '73 1 ton, '58 1/2 ton and a '72 Duster that I am trying to keep. My goal is to use the Rav4 for my wife and use it periodically for towing the camper, so I can unload the Silverado.
Thanks for your reply.
Roger
Roger Cumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 06:39 PM   #4

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
The RAV4 is in its third generation, and there's a big difference between the current one (2006 and newer) and the first two. I'll assume that with the 3500 lb listed towing capacity, this is the current design.

The current RAV4 has the same 3.5 L engine as the latest (starting 2007) Sienna van, which is substantially more powerful than the 3.3 L one in my 2004 Sienna, which in turn is more than enough for the van and a trailer which weighs 3000 lb loaded. Since the RAV4 is about 10% to 15% (depending on options and trim level) lighter than a Sienna, I believe that there would be no lack of power.

Hitch weight and control are larger issues, since the new/larger RAV4 is still not very long is wheelbase. I suspect that the quoted trailer weight for the trailer empty (and maybe even dry, perhaps with no options), and by the time it is loaded its tongue weight may be too much for the RAV4.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 07:39 PM   #5

Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot 17 ft and 1989 Li'l Bigfoot 13 ft
Quote:
I suspect that the quoted trailer weight for the trailer empty (and maybe even dry, perhaps with no options), and by the time it is loaded its tongue weight may be too much for the RAV4.
I agree, this sounds like it would be pushing the envelope where safety is concerned. I used to tow my 13'er with a '97 RAV4. I know they have changed drastically since then, but even with the extra engine power, I don't think I would attempt what you are proposing.
Lainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 07:46 PM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Max hitch weight on Rav 4 is 350lbs and Toyoto does not recommend using a weight distribution system.
(Thanks to Brian P I just got that from my manual of my Rav 4 2007 v6 4x4. We were doing some PMing on this type of info.)
Old 07-02-2007, 07:59 PM   #7

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
...I used to tow my 13'er with a '97 RAV4. I know they have changed drastically since then, but even with the extra engine power, I don't think I would attempt what you are proposing.
In addition to more power, the newer model also has much longer wheelbase (maybe 7" more)... it has grown to the size of the Highlander. Even so, I doubt it's long enough; as Chester has mentioned, the WDH "fix" isn't available, either.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 03:42 PM   #8

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Quote:
My goal is to use the Rav4 for my wife and use it periodically for towing the camper, so I can unload the Silverado.
Thanks for your reply.
Roger
I never even thought of using one of my cars for or AS my wife but it does give me another reason to have them?
Sorry I can not help myself!
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 06:16 PM   #9

Trailer: Boler American (#3104)
Registry
Quote:
I never even thought of using one of my cars for or AS my wife but it does give me another reason to have them?
Sorry I can not help myself!
Crikey! You have to be careful how you say things around here! You gave me a good laugh though!
CliveAlive is offline   Reply With Quote