Towing in overdrive - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-29-2018, 01:32 PM   #41

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
re: lots of gears in an automatic... the shop manager of a long time automatic transmission service company once told me, the more gears in an automatic, the smaller and weaker they are, and the more expensive to repair. I know people really love this new Ford 10-speed, but its not been out long enough to have any sort of reliability data. I for one tend to keep vehicles til they are past 250k miles so long term reliability and ease of repair are a big issue.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 02:46 PM   #42

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
re: lots of gears in an automatic... the shop manager of a long time automatic transmission service company once told me, the more gears in an automatic, the smaller and weaker they are, and the more expensive to repair. I know people really love this new Ford 10-speed, but its not been out long enough to have any sort of reliability data. I for one tend to keep vehicles til they are past 250k miles so long term reliability and ease of repair are a big issue.
At least it can't cost you anything for the first 60,000 miles, by then you can know whether to trade it or keep it. If that ain't enough buy the extended drivetrain warranty. It is by far the single most popular truck ever built, and with unsurpassed reliability... resale should be ok.
My guess is that once you've bought one and your nerves have settled down you'll keep it.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 11:55 AM   #43

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
In manual transmissions, or automatics, any gear ratio of less than 1-1 (.85-1, for example) is an overdrive. That is what "overdrive" means. The output shaft turns faster than the input shaft. Typically, and specifically in the Tacoma, 5th and 6th are overdrives. Thus, towing in 5th or 6th is towing in overdrive. The OP said nothing about an auxiliary transmission.

If the question was worded, such as, "towing with a Gear Venders auxiliary overdrive", the answer might be different.

But the main point was more about running the engine that slow while doing work and the fuel economy that resulted.

Mikes comment didn't make sense to me since modern manuals are overdrive transmissions.
I think his point may have been, there is no torque converter unlocking and generating heat.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 09:41 PM   #44

Trailer: Casita 16 ft
Just bought a new F-150. It has a tow/haul, normal, sport mode selector and a transmission temp indicator.

So now on a long trip I can play with it and see what works best.
Friz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 10:30 PM   #45

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friz View Post
Just bought a new F-150. It has a tow/haul, normal, sport mode selector and a transmission temp indicator.

So now on a long trip I can play with it and see what works best.
I can tell you what works best for me. I use tow/haul mode always when towing. When not towing, normal mode is for regular driving, particularly highway driving or when I'm trying to maximize mpg. When I'm not towing, but I'm driving on uneven terrain/twisty roads, sport mode it is. Works well.
Old 01-31-2018, 09:39 AM   #46

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
A stick shift is great until you have to back a trailer uphill into a tricky campsite. Or get caught in bumper-to-bumper LA traffic with a trailer.
I agree about the backing uphill into a tricky campsite, but in traffic is where I prefer a stick. My new TV is an automatic and it took a while to get used to it in traffic. You have to brake instead of lifting, its annoying!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 04:08 PM   #47

Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
otoh, in heavy stop-n-crawl traffic, a stick is annoying, especially if you start getting muscle cramps in your clutch leg.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 06:19 PM   #48

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
I can tell you what works best for me. I use tow/haul mode always when towing. When not towing, normal mode is for regular driving, particularly highway driving or when I'm trying to maximize mpg. When I'm not towing, but I'm driving on uneven terrain/twisty roads, sport mode it is. Works well.
+10 the tow/haul mode is fantastic on the F150. I use it continuously when towing. The only time I don't is when I forget to switch into it after getting gas.

+10 on secondary roads around here. Zero shoulder whatsoever. You tend to PO other drivers MORE as passing here in the mtns is difficult. +10 Speeds vary from zero to 75MPH.

On the freeway, as long as you aren't in the passing lane, you are OK. That plus convenient gas, rest areas and more make the interstates my first choice. Choose your passing carefully, as you can become a nuisance to others, and its certainly time to speed up and complete the pass at a reasonable pace.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 06:26 PM   #49

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Bill, I'm picking up my 2018 the first week in March. The 2015 with the 2.7 has been just excellent, but it should be fun to try out tow/haul mode paired with a 10 speed.
Old 01-31-2018, 07:47 PM   #50

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Floyd is a good man in a clutch situation....
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 12:01 AM   #51

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
You need the right gear box and the right clutch and you have to know how to use it. Manuals are stronger, more durable and they don't overheat.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 02:48 AM   #52

Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_L View Post
You need the right gear box and the right clutch and you have to know how to use it. Manuals are stronger, more durable and they don't overheat.
Not so with Ram trucks.

Ram derated the Cummins diesel to 660 ft lbs and installed a weak clutch that will slip, if needed, so the stick can survive in their trucks. With the automatic, the engine puts out up to 900 ft lbs and the trans is rated for about 30% more than that. That automatic has a good lockup strategy and will not get hot in any situation.

The automatic is rated for much higher torque, and with it, the truck will do more work. The sticks are derated by over 200 ft lbs. to save the trans.

I don't know if any other manufacturers do the same, but it might be worth looking at when deciding to buy a stick or auto.
Old 02-03-2018, 08:19 AM   #53

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
otoh, in heavy stop-n-crawl traffic, a stick is annoying, especially if you start getting muscle cramps in your clutch leg.
Hi: John in Santa Cruz... To OD or not to OD. That is the question. Sometimes I get cramps in my instep from holding my foot on the gas pedal but I don't like towing with cruise control on. Gotta draw the line some where on the second busiest freeway in North America!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 04:20 PM   #54

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
Quote:

I was just reading about this transmission. It was developed jointly by Ford and General Motors. We may have a Fordochev in the future.
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote