Towing method - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2019, 11:07 PM   #1

Name: Ryan
Trailer: "Currently Shopping"
New York
Towing method

Hi guys! Searched that there are few methods on towing. Just want to gain information about the different methods/tricks so I can follow you guys and make a good decision. Would want to learn from experts (which is you guys).
thecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 05:26 AM   #2

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecow View Post
...want to learn from experts (which is you guys).
Some certainly think they are.. but personally I would refer to resources such as this:

http://webcontent.goodsam.com/traile...wGuide2019.pdf

Especially starting on page 26.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 06:00 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I’m afraid Gordon is right. You’ll get a lot of conflicting “expert” advice. The link he provided seems to cover the basics.

Another source of reliable information is the owner’s manual of your intended tow vehicle. Many have caveats- restrictions and special equipment requirements- not included in general tow rating charts like the ones in Gordon’s link. If you haven’t purchased the tow vehicle yet, you can usually google something like “2019 Ford Explorer Owner’s Manual” and download a PDF copy. There should be a whole section on towing, some more detailed and helpful than others. You want to read it carefully before you buy. Do not depend on dealership personnel for accurate towing information.

If you don’t already have a tow vehicle, It might be wise to wait until you have a better idea of the size and weight of the trailer that works for you to make sure you have a good match. Mistakes can be costly. Speaking of which...

One more helpful resource is the Trailer Weights in the Real World thread. It’s a database of actual loaded weights of various makes and models of molded fiberglass trailers. Post #297 links to a spreadsheet of the data you can sort and filter. It even calculates averages.

As you research, do ask questions. Just be prepared to separate the wheat from the chaff!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 07:24 AM   #4

Name: John
Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Texas
I agree with other post and that is, get a tow vehicle that will meet the requirement of the trailer you want to purchase. We each have our own preferences here, I personally wouldn't pull any trailer with anything less then a 1/2 pickup, it's just my choice of vehicles to own, always have, probably always will. For those who may not want to go that way, you will have to give it some in depth thought and make a decision on the practical side and not so much on the I want side. For those of you who are new to towing you will find it is pretty much a learned process from experience and not so much read in a book and remembered, that is "Hands on Experience". If you go to a Rally you will probably find that 75% of tow vehicles are pickups, there's a reason for that, most can tow more, plus can carry the extras that many want to carry with them camping. I read where many camping families want a tow vehicle that can be used as the family cruiser, get great fuel mileage, and small enough to park at the malls, and they think that smaller is better. I've always found that small is better doesn't translate that well to trailer pulling, so base your decisions on what works, not on what works for you.

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 08:04 AM   #5

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
I agree with other post and that is, get a tow vehicle that will meet the requirement of the trailer you want to purchase. We each have our own preferences here, I personally wouldn't pull any trailer with anything less then a 1/2 pickup, it's just my choice of vehicles to own, always have, probably always will. For those who may not want to go that way, you will have to give it some in depth thought and make a decision on the practical side and not so much on the I want side. For those of you who are new to towing you will find it is pretty much a learned process from experience and not so much read in a book and remembered, that is "Hands on Experience". If you go to a Rally you will probably find that 75% of tow vehicles are pickups, there's a reason for that, most can tow more, plus can carry the extras that many want to carry with them camping. I read where many camping families want a tow vehicle that can be used as the family cruiser, get great fuel mileage, and small enough to park at the malls, and they think that smaller is better. I've always found that small is better doesn't translate that well to trailer pulling, so base your decisions on what works, not on what works for you.

trainman
It is just not smart to consider the size of the tow vehicle without considering the size of the trailer.
Either way there are inappropriate extremes...

If you need a 3/4 ton dually diesel to tow a Scamp13, with what do you tow a 40 foot triple axle fifthwheel?
Attached Thumbnails
airstream-pulled-by-small-car.png  
Attached Images

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 01:19 PM   #6

Name: John
Trailer: Hymer
California
Registry
Quote:
Hi guys! Searched that there are few methods on towing. Just want to gain information about the different methods/tricks so I can follow you guys and make a good decision.
Forgive me Ryan, but this and your other thread pose extremely vague questions. Since you joined and posted them on the same day and haven't responded since, would you mind confirming you're made of flesh and bones? Maybe give us some specifics of the different towing methods you have already read about?
OCJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 03:58 PM   #7

Name: Fredrick
Trailer: Escape 21C
Tennessee
Towing methods?

Quote:
Hi guys! Searched that there are few methods on towing. Just want to gain information about the different methods/tricks so I can follow you guys and make a good decision. Would want to learn from experts (which is you guys).
Truck in front.

Seriously we were new to RVs/TTs a couple yrs ago..got alotta tips from this forum and the MFR at pickup (Casita in TX) Sold her a month ago and awaiting our new Escape21 We will get new set of tips at Escape factory. Biggest mistakes I've seen is folks:
A getting a hurry.... w/o a check list
B. not knowing how to back up a trailer
C. driving too dam ned fast
D. Trying to "pull a 40 footer w a Volkswagen"..ie not using enuf truck. IMHO stay at or even below 60% of tow capacity
E. not watching good teaching vids on youtube...
IMHO sit at supper a few nites and watch LoLoHo vids on YT..they have great vids for noobs and are professional videographers, [not some oddball dudes a Iphone4] WE learned to use 2 small walkie-talkies for directions, while backing up the Cassy ...from those two folks etc.

What part of NY?? I was born up in Auburn NY...back when ships were wood and men were iron.

Welcome to the group
Fred762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 06:32 PM   #8

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred762 View Post
Truck in front.

Seriously we were new to RVs/TTs a couple yrs ago..got alotta tips from this forum and the MFR at pickup (Casita in TX) Sold her a month ago and awaiting our new Escape21 We will get new set of tips at Escape factory. Biggest mistakes I've seen is folks:
A getting a hurry.... w/o a check list
B. not knowing how to back up a trailer
C. driving too dam ned fast
D. Trying to "pull a 40 footer w a Volkswagen"..ie not using enuf truck. IMHO stay at or even below 60% of tow capacity
E. not watching good teaching vids on youtube...
IMHO sit at supper a few nites and watch LoLoHo vids on YT..they have great vids for noobs and are professional videographers, [not some oddball dudes a Iphone4] WE learned to use 2 small walkie-talkies for directions, while backing up the Cassy ...from those two folks etc.

What part of NY?? I was born up in Auburn NY...back when ships were wood and men were iron.

Welcome to the group
Great post! really.

Except for two things... Rating and capacity are two different things in the real world, and you advocate the practical abolition of all large RV trailers.
(fine with me).

Is 60% the number we should use for payload as well? (GVR)

A Tundra would be overloaded with five grown men and no cargo and no fuel and certainly no tongue weight...
not even 60% of rated tongue weight

How about bicycles? That would keep the vast majority of adults from riding... ever.

How about 60% of the posted speed limit? (33mph on state two lane highways.)

Mostly kidding,but...

Are there any ratings we can trust?
Old 09-19-2019, 07:22 AM   #9

Tennessee
yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Great post! really.

Except for two things... Rating and capacity are two different things in the real world, and you advocate the practical abolition of all large RV trailers.
(fine with me).

Is 60% the number we should use for payload as well? (GVR)

A Tundra would be overloaded with five grown men and no cargo and no fuel and certainly no tongue weight...
not even 60% of rated tongue weight

How about bicycles? That would keep the vast majority of adults from riding... ever.

How about 60% of the posted speed limit? (33mph on state two lane highways.)

Mostly kidding,but...

I get whatcha mean, but really that 60% was given to me as a GUIDELINE by an experienced camper a couple of yrs ago. Something to hang my hat on as it were...to remind me that just because the truck is "rated" to tow 7000 lbs does not mean I can tow anywhere 7000 lbs!
heh heh, afa bikes go, most folks are terrible riders. What I hate to see most are doofusses on bikes ignoring most rules of the road, and especially at campgrounds. ie...If there are directional arrows, you can be sure bikers will not obey them, and I have been nearly run down by a couple of bikers riding thru my campsites in several places. Rudeness! Grrrr.
Old 09-19-2019, 07:57 AM   #10

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Hat Rack...

Quote:
Something to hang my hat on as it were...
I’ve heard other experienced people recommend 50%, 75%, 80%, and even 100%, arguing that manufacturers have already incorporated reasonable margins in their ratings. I guess there are lots of hooks for different hats!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 08:21 AM   #11

Registry
Quote:
I get whatcha mean, but really that 60% was given to me as a GUIDELINE by an experienced camper a couple of yrs ago. Something to hang my hat on as it were...to remind me that just because the truck is "rated" to tow 7000 lbs does not mean I can tow anywhere 7000 lbs!
heh heh, afa bikes go, most folks are terrible riders. What I hate to see most are doofusses on bikes ignoring most rules of the road, and especially at campgrounds. ie...If there are directional arrows, you can be sure bikers will not obey them, and I have been nearly run down by a couple of bikers riding thru my campsites in several places. Rudeness! Grrrr.
As you know I advocate informed personal responsibility.
That requires informing yourself and towing within the reasonable capabilities of your vehicle and your skills. Also keeping your equipment in good mechanical condition, and yourself fit to handle it.

As for bicycles, the same applies.
I disagree emphatically with your assessment and find that unwarranted hostility and disrespect toward bicyclists are far greater issues than the other way around. Too many drivers view adult bikes as children's toys and treat responsible bicyclists with contempt.

I will say that too many uninformed bicyclists were taught to use pedestrian rules and ride against traffic.

Stupid people do stupid things whether it is on foot, on a bike, in a car, or towing an RV.
It takes a little consideration from all concerned.

Educate yourself, act within reason and take responsibility.
Old 09-19-2019, 09:05 AM   #12

Name: Ryan
Trailer: "Currently Shopping"
New York
Already purchased a Jeep. Proud Jeep owner for just 1 year. Last night, already ordered a towing hitch https://www.jeepsareus.com/sku/82208219.html. It says it can carry at least 2000lb. My only problem is actually attaching it. Already joined a Jeep forum just to read some old thread about towing with a jeep. And to be honest, did not even open my manual, asked my friends instead, but will check it now.
thecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 01:19 PM   #13

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Everyone knows that to tow anything larger than a 13' Scamp you need at least a 1 ton Diesel dually for safety.
The 13' Scamp would take at least a 1/2 ton pickup.

Personally I have towed my 16' Scamp (heavy, modified frame etc) with a 2009 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI, a 2016 Town and Country, and a 2012 VW Touareg TDI.

All did a safe job (IMHO) ranking 1 - Touareg rated 7700 lbs, Town & Country rated 3500 lbs, and the JSW rated (in Europe) at 3500 lbs.

The Touareg really does drive and tow like there is nothing behind it! REALLY!

The best mileage was the JSW with 25 mpg next was the T&C at about 16 MPG (About the same fuel costs)
I can't say for sure about the fuel mileage of the Touareg as we haven't finished our great South West tour yet. I suspect it is going to be a good bit less than the T&C, but it really has the power and torque. Climbing the mountains with no fuss and no bother.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 06:40 PM   #14

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
The SMART way to tow your trailer!
Attached Thumbnails
post-222-1516409049.jpg   RV-smart-car-towing-trailer-728x400.jpg  

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"!
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 10:55 AM   #15

Name: Steve
Trailer: Boler
Ontario
Registry
I have towed many trailers with many different tow vehicles over the years of different sizes and having a big tow vehicle does not suit everyone. I currently tow a 1976 Boler with a 2005 Toyota Corolla that I made a hitch for and use a 7 pin electrical plug to charge batteries when I drive, have electric brakes and it works great. I get super gas mileage and have absolutely no issues with anything, however I made and maintain everything myself. The bottom line of towing any trailer is safety. Consult with as many trailer/towing people and experts as you can and decide on what you are comfortable with and know the maintenance issues on your equipment so you can maintain it yourself. Good luck.
Steve Stresman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 01:08 PM   #16

Name: Harold
Trailer: 1975 Scamp, 13-foot
Redding, California
Registry
Quote:
...Truck in front....
And greasy side down.

Also, it's plus if the trailer isn't so heavy that it lifts the front wheels of the tow vehicle off the ground.

I could tell you stories...

Harold
Doctor Harold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 04:16 PM   #17

Name: Bob
Trailer: Scamp
Florida
Onlhy one direction from whoever is guiding me when backing or in a tight spot. "STOP." Then I get out as see for myself to avoid the error in communication.
Bob Durrstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 08:32 PM   #18

Tennessee
Red face wot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
As you know I advocate informed personal responsibility.
That requires informing yourself and towing within the reasonable capabilities of your vehicle and your skills. Also keeping your equipment in good mechanical condition, and yourself fit to handle it.

As for bicycles, the same applies.
I disagree emphatically with your assessment and find that unwarranted hostility and disrespect toward bicyclists are far greater issues than the other way around. Too many drivers view adult bikes as children's toys and treat responsible bicyclists with contempt.

I will say that too many uninformed bicyclists were taught to use pedestrian rules and ride against traffic.

Stupid people do stupid things whether it is on foot, on a bike, in a car, or towing an RV.
It takes a little consideration from all concerned.

Educate yourself, act within reason and take responsibility.
All fine and dandy..but we live in a rural area which is considered one of the best biking areas of our part of the state..and the idiots we see nearly every day prove there are many ways to do dumb stuff on bikes. I try to stay far away fro them as possible.
Old 09-25-2019, 08:57 PM   #19

Name: Jerrybob
Trailer: casita
Washington
Some good advice above....my preference....get as much power as you can afford. I tow our Casita with a 2003 2500 Chevy 4x4 with a 6.0 engine and a 4.10 rear end. Can't even tell the trailer is back there. Love having the power on hills. Mileage sucks....doesn't matter if I am towing or not but I don't care. I use the truck for towing a car trailer with tractors, cars and carriages as well. My two cents.
jerrybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 09:40 PM   #20

Registry
Quote:
All fine and dandy..but we live in a rural area which is considered one of the best biking areas of our part of the state..and the idiots we see nearly every day prove there are many ways to do dumb stuff on bikes. I try to stay far away fro them as possible.
While it is true that there are many ways to do dumb things on a bicycle, there are many more ways to do dumb things in a motor vehicle.
Most of the resentment I have seen from motorists are from those who don't know their own responsibilities behind the wheel.

I ride the way I drive, with respect for other people with whom I share the road.
I expect no less from drivers.

My allusion to bicycles in post #8, was not intended to spark any anti-bicycle diatribe, but rather to illustrate the foolishness of automatically discounting the manufacturer's limits to the point of making the product useless to the intended buyer.
I notice that you had no comment on that subject as it related to bicycles or to any of the other examples cited...
or even to the point of the post which was...