Towing mirrors. - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-20-2013, 03:44 PM   #29

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Trying to make up stories to justify dependency on electronic toys doesn't make any difference to reality. Electronic devices fail and will fail. They're wonderful things, I've worked in electronics for over 45 years and know they wonderful things, but the ALL fail at some point in time. Murphy will tell you when. We live by our electronic devices, cell phones, ipads, iphones, gps receivers, etc. etc. When they die, not if, think about what you're going to do. I'm not saying don't have the electronic devices, after all electronic devices paid for my living and retirement. I probably have more electronic devices around than most people, and have purchased my share that are now obsolete. I had my share of things like GPS receivers fail when out hiking in remote areas. I've carried cell phones that the batteries died and were worthless if needed rescuing.
As Boy Scouts say be prepared. That includes being prepared when the electronic devices fail.
Byron. I agree with you that nearly every aspect of life these days involves some form of electrical component. In fact, I am sure that the car you drive has some essential electrical components that if they were to fail, would result in your vehicle becoming inoperative, which could possibly impact your safety and the safety of all around you. I am sure that you are aware of this, but make some personal evaluation of the risks, and choose to operate your motor vehicle anyways. With respect to rear view cameras, I am neither for or against them, do not own one, and don't really see the value in purchasing one for myself. I am happy with my mirrors and will likely stick with them for a long time to come.

However, I do not see rear view cameras as being the large potential problem that you portray them to be. If they provide an adequate field of vision for the driver, let them be used. If they fail, they will be repaired or replaced, just as any other electrical component in your car, or in your phone, computer, coffee maker or whatever other device electrical components are used in.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 04:25 PM   #30

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Marky,

There's a whole thread on people's camera installations on FRV. Here's a link to Amazon showing the one I purchased for $58.

Amazon.com: TaoTronics® 2.4G Wireless Car Rear View Back-Up Camera System with 4.3" Color TFT LCD Monitor (Waterproof IP67 / Color CMOS / 135 Degree Viewing Angle / 7 IR LED Night Vision / Distant Scale Lines): Car Electronics

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 05:19 PM   #31

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
....snip... These days literally billions of cameras are being made. The government just installed a huge number in Washington state to track everything......snip......
Say what?

Even here in Hadlock?????
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 05:22 PM   #32

Florida
Been to Hadlock..didn't know you were there.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 11-20-2013, 06:03 PM   #33

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice-breaker View Post
Byron. I agree with you that nearly every aspect of life these days involves some form of electrical component. In fact, I am sure that the car you drive has some essential electrical components that if they were to fail, would result in your vehicle becoming inoperative, which could possibly impact your safety and the safety of all around you. I am sure that you are aware of this, but make some personal evaluation of the risks, and choose to operate your motor vehicle anyways. With respect to rear view cameras, I am neither for or against them, do not own one, and don't really see the value in purchasing one for myself. I am happy with my mirrors and will likely stick with them for a long time to come.

However, I do not see rear view cameras as being the large potential problem that you portray them to be. If they provide an adequate field of vision for the driver, let them be used. If they fail, they will be repaired or replaced, just as any other electrical component in your car, or in your phone, computer, coffee maker or whatever other device electrical components are used in.
It's probably not as big a problem as you've perceived my comments to be. The consequences are most likely less than those that rely on GPS receivers without having a paper backup.
In the automobile industry there's an engineering tool called FMEA (Failure Modes and Effects Analysis). Every part built into trucks and automobiles has been subjected to this analysis. Many add on parts have also. Thus reducing the risk of failure. However, a lot of stuff made in China doesn't go through that process and is in a far greater risk of failure. With the prices I see on back up cameras it would appear that that would the case with them.
I'm all for electronic devices, in fact I believe a back up camera has some strong advantages, but that's not my point at all. My point is that it WILL fail. I further believe that when it does fail a plan is in place to handle the failure. How difficult is it to replace on a cold rainy night? Is there another system that's less likely to fail? (even mirrors break).
A back up camera is probably not "mission critical", but could be quite inconvenient when it failed unless you have a backup system.

(Please forgive me if I get carried away with Engineeringease.)
Old 11-20-2013, 07:38 PM   #34

Name: David
Trailer: Escape Trailers
Massachusetts
Fit System 3891 Deluxe Universal Clip-on Trailer Towing Mirror

We also have the Fit System 3891 Deluxe Universal Clip-on Trailer Towing Mirrors, which we bought from Amazon for about $22 each. We've had them for a couple years and had no problem with them. Ours are mounted on our Nissan Frontier and allow full adjustment of the stock mirrors.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:51 PM   #35

Florida
I have considered adding a second camera, one to the back of the Honda, a rather common feature of new cars. This would provide a source of a convenient backup as well.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 11-21-2013, 12:58 AM   #36

Name: Leonard
Trailer: not yet
California
Glass can fail too. Recently, on a long tow, my recently replaced driver side mirror simply flipped out of its mounting, sailing down the highway (!?!) Believe me, not having a side mirror while towing is pretty scary.

My co-driver used an electronic device (smart phone) to find a truck stop that had a mirror that we duct taped in place until i was able to find a glass replacement shop the next day.

I guess my point is...anything can fail. When it happens, you find a way to deal with it.
Old 11-21-2013, 01:04 AM   #37

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Stuff happens.
What I haven't seen in this thread so far is that law enforcement will accept a rear view camera in lieu of towing mirrors.
Will they?
Old 11-21-2013, 10:34 AM   #38

Name: Tom
Trailer: 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Texas
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
X2 McKesh mirrors. Our Bigfoot is 8' wide. We need extension mirrors to see what is beside us. I have little care for what is behind me when driving. Six years of driving a delivery truck in Dallas traffic will do that. DW helps with backing.
Old 11-21-2013, 04:08 PM   #39

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Stuff happens.
What I haven't seen in this thread so far is that law enforcement will accept a rear view camera in lieu of towing mirrors.
Will they?
Apparently at least in August of this year Federal Vehicle Standards make side mirrors manditory. Here is a link to a story in Green Car Reports about Tesla and other car manufactures are lobbying for that to be changed.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 05:10 PM   #40

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Here's AAA's list of mirror requirements by State. Trailer Mirrors | AAA/CAA Digest of Motor Laws
Old 11-21-2013, 05:37 PM   #41

Florida
Government - late to dinner.

I haven't read them all but at least NJ seems to be more inclusive of solution. In some states virtually any mirror will do. It's interesting how many provinces and states have no distance requirement.

I guess I just have to select my route carefully. Just kidding for the more serious.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 12-08-2013, 04:40 PM   #42

Florida
Camera Update

We're now over by San Antonio, escaping the warmth of Florida for the literally freezing temps of southern Texas and Texas's manifestations of global warming.

We've now used the trailer's rear view camera for about 4,000 miles. The camera's been as good as I hoped. Besides allowing you to know what's immediately behind you, it's wide angle view seems to help eliminate blind spots by providing a view of vehicles on your rear trailer corners.

It's measured field of view also helps after passing providing a good distance indication of when to get back into your lane.

Yesterday when we reached our campground, the inside trailer temperature was 38 (at 1 PM) and the camera functioned perfectly. Shockingly our electric heater failed at 6 PM causing an emergency run for a new heater.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16