Towing mirrors. - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-21-2013, 05:37 PM   #41

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Government - late to dinner.

I haven't read them all but at least NJ seems to be more inclusive of solution. In some states virtually any mirror will do. It's interesting how many provinces and states have no distance requirement.

I guess I just have to select my route carefully. Just kidding for the more serious.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 04:40 PM   #42

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Camera Update

We're now over by San Antonio, escaping the warmth of Florida for the literally freezing temps of southern Texas and Texas's manifestations of global warming.

We've now used the trailer's rear view camera for about 4,000 miles. The camera's been as good as I hoped. Besides allowing you to know what's immediately behind you, it's wide angle view seems to help eliminate blind spots by providing a view of vehicles on your rear trailer corners.

It's measured field of view also helps after passing providing a good distance indication of when to get back into your lane.

Yesterday when we reached our campground, the inside trailer temperature was 38 (at 1 PM) and the camera functioned perfectly. Shockingly our electric heater failed at 6 PM causing an emergency run for a new heater.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 08:05 PM   #43

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Ann in MN View Post
Does anyone use the clip-on, or any other towing mirrors? Do they shake or fall off? I think I should get a set, but I don't know what I need. Any help is appreciated.
If you can find the right part number then CIPA makes a great slide over mirror which custom fits over your stock mirror....
Cipa Slide Over Towing Mirrors

I have those for my Ranger and they are great and rock steady.

I made my own from a bicycle mirror for my Ford Escape..
Small, but effective it required one small hole to be drilled in the outer lip of the mirror housing....
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0048.JPG   DSCF0049.JPG  

DSCF0051.JPG  
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 12:26 AM   #44

Name: Darrell
Trailer: Scamp Deluxe 16ft
Alabama
Floyd, I like your thinking out of the box fix..
One of the reasons no LEOs have not spoke up is it depends on the state's requirements plus DOTs/ Canada "DOT" equivalent. Some States are not allowed to enforce State Codes on out of State tagged vehicles. Example: proof of insurance. or vehicles that have violations of State of Registration. Speeding and traffic control signs/ lights are cut and dry violations.
Darrell in Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 04:25 AM   #45

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Ann in MN View Post
Does anyone use the clip-on, or any other towing mirrors? Do they shake or fall off? I think I should get a set, but I don't know what I need. Any help is appreciated.

I've used a few different types of mirrors over the years and they all had pluses and minuses. I tow a SD 17 with a Ranger and find that the stock mirrors are fine but I did buy a set of slide on extention mirrors from Etrailer and carry them just in case. They work very well with almost no vibration and are very easy to install. I guess it depends how wide your TV is to your trailers width and the view you have to the rear that you are comfortable with. My wife kids me for getting over to the right lane for an exit 2 miles ahead and having to deal with slower traffic merging in. It comes from driving big rigs since 1980, people just don't want to give up that extra two seconds they will loose by letting you in and me missing my exit because of them. Go figure. One other trick you may want to use to know if you are clear in order to slide in in front of another vehicle is the shadow of your trailer if the sun is right as it's easy then to see the distance between you and that vehicle.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 12:05 PM   #46

Name: ginette & ron
Trailer: 2008 25RB 21 Bigfoot
Ontario
We also use the Milenco mirrors. So far so good. They clip on nicely and can be extended far enough to see well.
Ron