Towing mirrors. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2013, 09:54 PM   #1

Name: Mary Ann
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13' Deluxe
Minnesota
Towing mirrors.

Does anyone use the clip-on, or any other towing mirrors? Do they shake or fall off? I think I should get a set, but I don't know what I need. Any help is appreciated.
God's Country, Minnesota
Mary Ann in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:02 PM   #2

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
I've added a rear view camera to my trailer. Works better than extended side mirrors for me. I use the camera with my tow vehicle's side mirrors.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:22 PM   #3

Name: Paul
Trailer: '07 Scamp 16' SD
Wisconsin
We use some cheap fleet farm special strap on mirrors, in my opinion the help
glennco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 11:04 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Ann in MN View Post
Does anyone use the clip-on, or any other towing mirrors? Do they shake or fall off? I think I should get a set, but I don't know what I need. Any help is appreciated.

Let's see, I've used the strap on extension mirrors for that last 5 years. No problems The ones I use are like these. Clip-On Tow Mirror - Four Corners Sourcing 25855 - Mirrors - Camping World

There's a little vibration but you can still see very well behind the trailer with them.

I purchased one mirror at Walmart a couple years ago after I broke when it being tossed around the back of my truck. The brand Walmart sells the straps don't last very long. I had to go find another brand at an auto parts store while we were traveling.
Old 11-20-2013, 03:02 AM   #5

Name: Darrell
Trailer: Scamp Deluxe 16ft
Alabama
I've tried the cheap ones from wally world, then bought a better set. The set in the pictures cost but work great for me I can adjust better, helps backing in to spots and less blind spots.
Attached Thumbnails
Clip on mirrors.jpg   Clip mirrors.jpg  

Darrell in Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 06:42 AM   #6
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
We have been using this set of McKesh strap on mirrors for over 10 years now. Work great.
Attached Thumbnails
Mirrors on G35.jpg  
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 06:50 AM   #7

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Fit System 3891 bought at Amazon. they have ratchet straps, easy on and off on our 2003 Honda CRV. They are convex mirrors, no vibration.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 08:18 AM   #8

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I use the Grand Aero by Millenco, and though still not perfect, they are the best of three different ones I tried on my Pilot. The weak link though is not the mirrors, but the mirror housing on my car that they connect too, and that is plastic with a bit of give.

I was given a warning in BC a few years ago when I was driving without towing mirrors, and told to put them on. They were with me, I was too lazy to put them on for a short jaunt is all. I believe you need to be able to see clearly down the lane you are in for 200' on both sides.

Though sometimes a pain to put on, towing mirrors definitely are very useful. I always check them BEFORE I use the cars mirrors.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:08 AM   #9

Florida
Interesting Jim, I usually use the car mirrors first because they clearly show what's right beside you. Our camera shows what's behind us without even glancing t the mirrors.

Now that we have a camera we never put the extra mirrors on.

I wonder how the BC police will consider the value of a rear camera. Is the rear camera equivalent to the side mirrors? In addition to detecting vehicles 200 feet behind you they detect vehicles in the 0-100 foot window where side mirrors are of little use.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 11-20-2013, 09:35 AM   #10

Name: gary
Trailer: 16' 1998 Scamp
Minnesota
Registry
A rear view camera was the first thing I put on when we bought the trailer. It works like a champ.
fusedlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 10:08 AM   #11

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
I wonder how the BC police will consider the value of a rear camera. Is the rear camera equivalent to the side mirrors? In addition to detecting vehicles 200 feet behind you they detect vehicles in the 0-100 foot window where side mirrors are of little use.
I was wondering the same thing too. It is not just BC where this is in effect either. That was just where I got the warning.

Do the cameras work well for passing too. This would seem tricky to me, but I have never had one that i relied on either.

With my towing mirrors on I can see one side or the other of anyone behind me.

The bottom line though is to be certain you are safe regardless of the methods you use.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 10:41 AM   #12

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
I have the Grand Aero mirrors and highly recommend them. Far less vibration than most of the add on mirrors. I also have a back up camera that is great for seeing those idiots that drive inside your mirrors, backing up in gas stations and other stops, and for being sure you can pull back in lane on the rare pass.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 11:12 AM   #13

Name: Mary Ann
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13' Deluxe
Minnesota
Good info on the mirrors, so now what brand of back up camera's are you all using. Maybe I will end up getting both mirrors and back up camera's.

If I'm going to invest in the camera, I think I want one with two camera's so I can leave one on the Trailblazer and one on the back of the Scamp.
God's Country, Minnesota
Mary Ann in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 11:25 AM   #14

Registry
I purchased a dual camera system (one for the RAV4 & one on the trailer) from Rear View Safety. They no longer offer the 5" monitor, which is perfect for the RAV4, but do provide a flexible connector to go between the trailer & tow vehicle.
Old 11-20-2013, 11:30 AM   #15

Florida
Jon,

Good point about using the camera for those rare passing occasions and pulling back into the right lane. It's really neat that you can see the distance that your vehicle is ahead of the passed vehicle.

I never back up in gas stations finding it easier to wait for the person ahead to move. If I do any unusual movements Ginny jumps out to be sure I'm doubly aware of my 'surroundings'.

I am amazed by the few foolish drivers who get in my normally 'visibility shadow'. Of course these are the ones that suddenly try to blast out squeezing between the trailer and oncoming traffic in the next lane.

Jim,
We rarely pass anyone, sounds like we're similar to Jon.

Ginny likes the rear camera because though she does do a great job paying attention to the passenger side, particularly merging traffic, she now likes knowing what's happening behind us.

Of course most of our time is spent in low traffic areas and doesn't take the attention this thread may suggest.

The camera does provide good notice of those blasting up from behind and the wild lane changers one sometimes sees. When passing the camera does tell me if there's some one in my 'visibility shadow'. I use the convex spot mirrors added to our Honda's to see people who might be in the blind spots, the largest danger when passing.

Ginny has made me directional signal use paranoid. The act of using the directional signal forces a process before changing lanes and pulling out.

I find the camera's to really be inexpensive. It could use some improvement but it's a great first order solution.

We've now driven a few thousand miles with ours and no extended mirrors.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 11-20-2013, 11:41 AM   #16

Registry
I see a couple people are touting rear view cameras. They're nice when they're working, kind of a geeky thing for the gadget lover. But would you bet your life on one. NOT ME. As with many thing tried and true non-electronic is more reliable. Electronics quite for various reasons and you might not know it until too late. If an extension mirror quits you know it right away and is easily replaced. If a rear view camera quits it takes a bit more to replace it.

As an electronic engineer I would never trust my life to a single electronic device. I would want at least one level of redundancy. Space missions have at least 3 levels of redundancy and often that's saved their lives.
Old 11-20-2013, 11:52 AM   #17

Florida
Byron,

Like all new items someone has to try it. The camera definitely extends the ability of the driver to see.

These days literally billions of cameras are being made. The government just installed a huge number in Washington state to track everything. Virtually every telephone, pad and computer has at least one and usually two cameras.

To this date we have not had an electronic camera fail in any of our products. I can't say that about out outside mirrors. If our camera should fail, we presently carry a set of mirrors in one of our underneath storage compartments as a back up.

To me it's not a geeky thing but an extension of ability. No mirror I have lets me see what's 'right' behind my trailer. Trust me if it should fail I would pull over and return to the old technology.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 11-20-2013, 12:02 PM   #18

Registry
Quote:
Jon,

Good point about using the camera for those rare passing occasions and pulling back into the right lane. It's really neat that you can see the distance that your vehicle is ahead of the passed vehicle.

I never back up in gas stations finding it easier to wait for the person ahead to move. If I do any unusual movements Ginny jumps out to be sure I'm doubly aware of my 'surroundings'.
Since I travel solo, I don't have a "Ginny" for those few times I need to back up in a crowded situation. By the time I get back in the tow vehicle after physically looking behind the trailer, all kinds of things or people could move into the area. While I'm rarely in a hurry, there have been times I had no choice but to back up. I've never had a problem with the camera(s) but also depend on the extended mirrors.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:14 PM   #19

Registry
Quote:
Byron,

Like all new items someone has to try it. The camera definitely extends the ability of the driver to see.

These days literally billions of cameras are being made. The government just installed a huge number in Washington state to track everything. Virtually every telephone, pad and computer has at least one and usually two cameras.

To this date we have not had an electronic camera fail in any of our products. I can't say that about out outside mirrors. If our camera should fail, we presently carry a set of mirrors in one of our underneath storage compartments as a back up.

To me it's not a geeky thing but an extension of ability. No mirror I have lets me see what's 'right' behind my trailer. Trust me if it should fail I would pull over and return to the old technology.
And you're willing to bet your life along with others on the road to piece of electronics. Hmmm.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:15 PM   #20

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
Since I travel solo, I don't have a "Ginny" for those few times I need to back up in a crowded situation. By the time I get back in the tow vehicle after physically looking behind the trailer, all kinds of things or people could move into the area. While I'm rarely in a hurry, there have been times I had no choice but to back up. I've never had a problem with the camera(s) but also depend on the extended mirrors.
A rear view camera can be a good thing along as there's the old reliable extension mirrors. Good for you Jon.

Saying you've never had a problem is like saying the first few Apollo missions everything worked ok, so everything is great, that is until 13.