Towing speeds - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-17-2015, 01:32 PM   #1

Name: Jill
Trailer: Burro&uhaul
Towing speeds

Hi all. I have read about towing speeds
We have a burro and were towing with full suite van.
What determines how fast or limits u can go? We were on interstate jets
We just got new tires on our burro trailer tires husband said it was now towing better but when we came home the top door hinge was hanging on by 1 screw! Let's just say we were going over the posted speed limits...
Thanks for clarifying

Old 05-17-2015, 01:41 PM   #2

Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Jill, First, I hope the new tires had been balanced, as unbalanced tires can shake your trailer apart, and they will also wear out prematurely. Secondly, most trailer tires are only speed rated to 65mph, so you risk tire failure over that speed. Thirdly, if you have a worn out axle (rubber torsion axles don't last forever) your trailer will suffer from being shook apart.
Dave & Paula

Old 05-17-2015, 01:47 PM   #3

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
In many states trailers are restricted to less than the posted speed limits. I believe the trailer speed limit in 13 states is 55 mph, not that I see it regularly enforced. I keep it under 65 no matter what the posted limit is. When we can we avoid Interstates, they're no fun and we're retired, as a result most of the time we're at 55 or less. On the Interstates we stay to the right and generally not more than 62 mph.

There are 'roads from hell' even some segmented Interstates that are rough on trailers. Over the years we've learned where they are and really reduce our speed or avoid the road.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 01:58 PM   #4

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
As others have suggested an old axle and speed are a great way to shake down an old trailer. Also check the ratings on our tires many are rated to 65 mph. Your profile does not indicate where you are located but many states have limits on towing speeds.

Trailer Speed Limits/AAA/CAAA Digest of Motor Laws
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 02:40 PM   #5

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Wow, just towing at posted speed limits can be a challenge in some states, but towing over speed limits.... not a chance. You mentioned that you got new tires, did you also have the wheel bearings checked and repacked. That's just as important as the tires, and a bearing failure on the road will ruin an otherwise good day.

Also note that some state have fairly low limits for requiring trailer brakes, especially important if one was going to push a little over the limits.
Old 05-17-2015, 07:52 PM   #6

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Your profile does not indicate where you are located but many states have limits on towing speeds.
Actually it does, but only indirectly.
Google search for "Douglasville 30135"
Georgia, west of Atlanta
Old 05-17-2015, 08:16 PM   #7

Name: Pat
Trailer: UHaul CT-13 1984
Minnesota
I personally don't exceed 60mph - most often it's between 55-60 (for all of the reasons mentioned above).
Old 05-17-2015, 09:01 PM   #8

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
I was looking at the Maxxis tire website the other day . They sell an E rated 10 ply rated ST tire (M8008) with a weight rating of over 2900 lbs . Even though the M8008 is more than adequate for our small FG trailers ,Maxxis still recommends not to tow over 65 MPH.
The maximum speed we travel at is 62 MPH cause I am old and like to drive at a speed where I feel comfortable .
Old 05-17-2015, 09:46 PM   #9

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quoted from another thread....
I have dreamed of "light travel" ever since I read Doc E.E. Smith novels as a kid! Good brakes might be an important consideration though!
Old 05-17-2015, 11:32 PM   #10

Name: Jill
Trailer: Burro&uhaul
Thanks everyone! As I've read in past chats there are so many different things to consider. We had been towing with older vans that going up mountains we bogged down to 35mph so with the newer more powerful van?!! We will have to
Check all things pointed out. And slow it down We are retired and have the time
To enjoy the view as we roll down the road. Thanks jill
Old 05-17-2015, 11:39 PM   #11

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
Actually it does, but only indirectly.
Google search for "Douglasville 30135"
Georgia, west of Atlanta
Dang foreigners! I did not recognize the numbers as a postal code I am accustom to have lettering/numbers in a postal code.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 05:00 AM   #12

Name: Pat
Trailer: Escape 17B Sold 5/2016
Washington
If I have to use the freeway I'll use the "Old Codger Lane" and stay 5mph under the posted limit, or the truck limit which ever is slower, and enjoy a relaxing drive. I'll get there when I get there.
2012 4Runner Ltd
OneOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 05:59 AM   #13

Name: Gary
Trailer: 1976 13' Scamp
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
In many states trailers are restricted to less than the posted speed limits. I believe the trailer speed limit in 13 states is 55 mph, not that I see it regularly enforced. I keep it under 65 no matter what the posted limit is. When we can we avoid Interstates, they're no fun and we're retired, as a result most of the time we're at 55 or less. On the Interstates we stay to the right and generally not more than 62 mph.

There are 'roads from hell' even some segmented Interstates that are rough on trailers. Over the years we've learned where they are and really reduce our speed or avoid the road.
I-80 through Omaha destroyed my scamp on the trip home from purchase trip... I dont know what they were thinking when they built that stretch, but both East and West through there is terrible!
Old 05-18-2015, 06:00 AM   #14
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Hi Jill. Towing speeds depend on so many variables. Roads, traffic, individual rigs (brakes, tow vehicle, set up etc) There is no one set rule for everyone.

I talked to a guy once that had a horrid set up. The hitch was way to weak for the combo, the hitch was incorrect, and the setup was way off. The old Chrysler mini van was towing too large a trailer for the set up. The guy said it was a white knuckell ride and he stayed under 45MPH.

Now at the other end of the spectrum there are rigs that have a very agile/stable tow vehicle and a nice tracking trailer (with a good braking system). It is loaded correctly and has an optimal hitch and set up.

This rig is going to be a very comfortable ride which will feel safe and secure at 60MPH or more but the wise man or women is going to stay at a reasonable and safe speed.