Towing vehicle - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2007, 08:55 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
HI,

MY first post. (I'm really a newbie!)

I saw a scamp while on vacation and fell in love, so I'm now looking for a fiberglass egg trailer.

I had several questions:

1) Can a Nissan Altima tow one of these trailers?
2) Do they have electric brakes?, Do you need them?
3) How about a swerve preventer?
4) Is it difficult to wire up the car connection to the trailer?
5) Wher do you get trailer hitches installed? Is there anything I should know about trailer hitches when I get one installed?

Tnx for any assistance.

PS. I live in Long Island , NY Let me know if anyone out there has any leads for a unit.

Marty pohrille
Martin Pohrille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 09:40 AM   #2
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
QUOTE: With proper equipment, both the four-cylinder and V-6 Altima can tow up to 1,000 pounds. Cf. researchcars.com

Hi, Martin. Welcome to FiberglassRV.com. We're glad you found us!

Have a look around some of our former discussions (use our Search feature, above); you will find that most people think even a Scamp 13' is going to top 1000 lbs when loaded for camping... There are a few other trailers that are lighter (Lite House, which is no longer in production, being one)

Good luck!!

(note: instead of searching for "swerve" try "sway")
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 01:11 PM   #3

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Nissan Altima: in addition to the basic limit supplied by Mary, every vehicle has a few more limiting conditions, all of which need to be met. I always suggest reading the manual... you might be surprised how much information is in there. I looked at the 2007 Altima Owners Manual, and there's an extensive and very through section specific to trailer towing, plus other references to towing (e.g. don't tow when using the space-saver spare) scattered though the manual. There is a also a Towing Guide offered on Nissan's Manual & Guides web page.

As Mary mentioned, the classic 13' eggs (Boler, Scamp, Trillium) will be over 1000 lb when loaded; most are well over 1000 lb even empty... but there are smaller designs.

Most travel trailers with a maximum rated weight under 2000 lb do not have electric brakes; however, brakes are required for any travel trailer with smaller tow vehicles (by the tow vehicle manufacturer), and are certainly advisable. They can be added.

By "swerve preventer", you probably mean some sort of "sway control" I suggest searching (use the Search engine) for this phrase for many extensive discussions - there is no simple answer.

The portion of the electrical connection of the car to the trailer for the lights is usually easy (you buy a plug-in "T-connector"), but the brake controller will take custom wiring. It's not particularly difficult, for someone accustomed to custom automotive wiring.

A modern trailer hitch installation is just a bolt-on exercise, and can be done by almost anyone. Sometimes some body parts (such as part of the bumper cover) need to be temporarily removed, adding some hassle and effort. Usually these are do-it-yourself installations, or done by the hitch shop which sells the hitch. Around here, hitch prices are normally quoted including installation.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 03:44 PM   #4

Trailer: 1996 13 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to John Perry
Quote:
HI,
MY first post. (I'm really a newbie!)

I saw a scamp while on vacation and fell in love, so I'm now looking for a fiberglass egg trailer.
I had several questions:
1) Can a Nissan Altima tow one of these trailers?
2) Do they have electric brakes?, Do you need them?
3) How about a swerve preventer?
4) Is it difficult to wire up the car connection to the trailer?
5) Wher do you get trailer hitches installed? Is there anything I should know about trailer hitches when I get one installed?
Tnx for any assistance.
PS. I live in Long Island , NY Let me know if anyone out there has any leads for a unit.
Marty pohrille
Hi Marty.
My answers and opinions are free so place what ever value you wish on them.

#1 I have a friend that tows a 13' Scamp with his Altima and does not seem to have any problems.
Should he or you? I don't know. It all depends on the tow ratings of your vehicle.

#2 Some do and some don't. Personally I think they are a MUST when towing with any small vehicle.

#3 You should be able to tow your vehicle at normal highway speeds with out a sway control. If you have sway at normal speeds you have a problem that needs to be remedied.

#4 U-Haul probably installs more trailer hitches than any other company. They can also do any of the wiring required.
I got bored after retirement and worked for a Toyota dealership for a while. U-haul installed many hitches for us.

Even if you have to upgrade your tow vehicle you will not regret the purchase of an Egg. You will be able say good bye to the concrete and asphalt on the weekends and enjoy the real outdoors in comfort.
Good luck,
John
John Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 12:19 AM   #5

Trailer: Lil Bigfoot 13 ft
When I went looking for a tow vehicle to pull my lil bigfoot 13.5 5 years ago I decided on a Subaru Impreza. I needed the family car plus a tow vehicle. It is rated at 2000 lbs with no sway bars. Everything else I looked at Nissan Toyota Chev Ford did not have the torsion stiffness in the frame to tow a 13.5 foot egg. You may be able to pull it if you have sway bars. Maybe you should trade your Altima in for a subaru. :-)
Steve Weild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 01:00 AM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Thank you all for the response. The consensus seems to be that the 1000 lb towing limit of the Altima makes it a poor choice for a towing vehicle as most real world trailers top the 1000 lbs.
I prefer not to buy and SUV or truck so I will have to do some more research to find a car with the 2000 lb limit.
Marty
Martin Pohrille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 07:39 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Keep in mind that the line is gray between some small 'station wagons' and SUVs, as well as hatchbacks and SUVs. I have come to regard SUV as being as much a political term as a vehicle description.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote