Towing w/ full or empty tanks ? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-19-2013, 10:02 AM   #15

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrybob View Post
Load em up guys.......I stay with minimum weight as much as possible and drive conservatively. That includes my tow vehicle and back pack. Works for me and my mileage is better. Safe travels!
Minimum has an amorphous definition.
Your TV would be lighter without fuel. Your trailer would be lighter without water. Do you carry water in your backpack?

We forgot one thing though... It is "official" administration policy that all we really need to do to save fuel is to air-up our tires.

Old 05-19-2013, 10:11 AM   #16

Name: Jerrybob
Trailer: casita
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Your TV would be lighter without fuel. Your trailer would be lighter without water. Do you carry water in your backpack?

We forgot one thing though... It is "official" administration policy that all we really need to do to save fuel is to air-up our tires.

I also make my wife walk when we go up a hill!!

Old 05-19-2013, 10:40 AM   #17

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
Water & Air

Quote:

We travel with 3 to 5 gallons of fresh water and about 1 gallon each in the grey and black water tank. We stopped at Dixon Spring SP in southern Illinois on our way home from Scamp Camp last year and there was no water available in the park so thank God for the 5 gallons we brought with us. . (Parks water system had a leak and they had lost 250,000 gallons of water in a day and a half)

Floyd : Since it is policy ,How much air should I add to my tires to get unlimited mileage?
and How come the park ranger in Dixon Springs SP had not heard of you .I was really surprised when he asked if you we're in the Illinoy legislature !
Old 05-19-2013, 12:22 PM   #18

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
We travel with 3 to 5 gallons of fresh water and about 1 gallon each in the grey and black water tank. We stopped at Dixon Spring SP in southern Illinois on our way home from Scamp Camp last year and there was no water available in the park so thank God for the 5 gallons we brought with us. . (Parks water system had a leak and they had lost 250,000 gallons of water in a day and a half)

Floyd : Since it is policy ,How much air should I add to my tires to get unlimited mileage?
and How come the park ranger in Dixon Springs SP had not heard of you .I was really surprised when he asked if you we're in the Illinoy legislature !
Infinite pressure,of course!
The park ranger doesn't get out much.
It's spelled "Illannoy" as in "sick and bothersome"!
Why don't you post on Scampers about that great looking 16SD of yours?
That stance looks really cool!
Old 05-19-2013, 12:29 PM   #19

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
Spelling /Scampers

Quote:
Infinite pressure,of course!
The park ranger doesn't get out much.
It's spelled "Illannoy" as in "sick and bothersome"!
Why don't you post on Scampers about that great looking 16SD of yours?
That stance looks really cool!
Thanks Floyd , I completely forgot about Scamper and I will work on my spelling . You can test me next year at Scamp Camp and see how much I have improved!!
Old 05-19-2013, 12:41 PM   #20

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Weight matters to me since so much of my 4-cyl. travel seems to be straight up a mountainside... or back down again. If I'm not worried about the clutch and/or RPMs in second gear, I'm fretting about the brakes!

Seriously, though: in my close-to-the-max setup, I fret more about the placement of the hundred pounds or so of water than I do about its presence. I like the trailer weight to be as stable as possible, and fluctuations in water level/weight in my behind-the-axle onboard tank had a negative effect on that.

That's one of the reasons I took the tank out in favor of a "gravity-feed" system: Portable 2-gallon containers that are mounted as-needed on the trailer wall, and spares distributed elswhere as the rest of the trip's load demands.

This probably wouldn't matter to most folks with bigger setups, but for my particular tug-tow combo, it does make a difference.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 03:27 PM   #21

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
... I fret more about the placement of the hundred pounds or so of water than I do about its presence. I like the trailer weight to be as stable as possible, and fluctuations in water level/weight in my behind-the-axle onboard tank had a negative effect on that.
I agree that this may be a bigger factor than total weight for some rigs. My Boler's 100 litre of so (100 kg/220 lb or about 25 US gal) water tank is behind the axle, but not by much; with other rigs it could significantly affect balance.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote