Towing with a Honda Accord ?? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-01-2006, 01:46 AM   #29

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
In Europe I have towed thousands of kilometers with a 1983 Toyota Camry, 1.8 L engine, 90 hp and with a 5 speed manual. Pulling a 2000 pound trailer was no problem at all. 95% of vehicles sold in Europe have manual transmission and therefore just about everybody is towing with manual transmissions. I know we can discuss this forever, but based previous experience and all the input gained from this discussion, I still personally maintain a belief that my accord would be a perfectly capable and safe towing vehicle, but the issue with insurance coverage was the thing that made me decide not to do it.

Old 05-01-2006, 07:42 AM   #30

Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
Quote:
In Europe I have towed thousands of kilometers with a 1983 Toyota Camry, 1.8 L engine, 90 hp and with a 5 speed manual. Pulling a 2000 pound trailer was no problem at all. 95% of vehicles sold in Europe have manual transmission and therefore just about everybody is towing with manual transmissions. I know we can discuss this forever, but based previous experience and all the input gained from this discussion, I still personally maintain a belief that my accord would be a perfectly capable and safe towing vehicle, but the issue with insurance coverage was the thing that made me decide not to do it.
Johan, there is no doubt that manufacturers in the U.S. market are more conservative about their tow ratings for the same vehicles than what they rate them in other parts of the world. And, it's interesting that folks successfully tow much heavier loads in those locations without apparent ill effect. I still find it interesting, however, that manufacturers rate the same vehicle much differently depending on equipment; the Ford Ranger, for example, rates in the U.S. from 2000 lbs to 6000 lbs depending on year and drivetrain. My Bronco had a difference of 3,000 lbs just by switching transmissions. So, there must be something engineering-related in the tow ratings, although we laymen will never know for certain how those ratings are arrived at.

Roger

Old 07-20-2006, 10:41 AM   #31

Trailer: 16 ft Nical Captain
Send a message via AIM to Brian Hatfield
Quote:
My Astro is a 1994, it is the short version and only has RWD with no locking differential. I would think that the short version is not at any disadvantage at towing as the difference in lenght is entirely behind the rear axle. As far as I know the wheelbase is identical, but the short version has vary little overhang behind the rear axle. That should only be an advantage, if I remember correcty. I believe the 94 has less hp than newer versions, it does not seem particularly powerful up the hills, even without load. Although the van drives very nicely and shows little sign og wear, I am concerned about the mileage - over 280,000 km. Does anyone tow with vehicles that have accumulated that kind of mileage?
I tow with a volvo 960 station wagon and tow a 16' Captain trailer which weighs in fully loaded at 1850lbs. My Volvo is a 1995 and has just pssed the 305,000 kms mark. In my opinion the manner in which you maintain your vehicle is the key, not the milage.
I've just returned from a 3,500 km trip to New Brunswick from southern Ontario and would not hesitate to do it again tommorrow if required.
Old 07-20-2006, 02:12 PM   #32

Name: james
Trailer: Boler 1984
Ontario
Some people will tow with anything.
Talk about flying down the highway.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bolerama_2006__27__01.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	172.7 KB
ID:	4049