Towing with a Jeep CJ, YJ, TJ, LC FJ-40, LR SIII 80? - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-01-2007, 07:41 PM   #61

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
I've thought up a WDH analogy...
I hope you don't mind, Pete, but I have responded to this interesting analogy in What Does a Weight-Distributing Hitch Do?, which is specific to how WD systems work.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 10:22 PM   #62

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
I just thought I would chime in here with my one scary towing incident and note that I did survive it thanks I am sure to my Tow Vehicle.

I was pulling my 13" Trillium thru Atlanta north from Florida when I noticed one of the trailers wheels passing me on the right! No kidding.

At first I didn't really even grasp what was going on.

The symptoms were a muffled noise and a slight pull to the right and that is all.
I looked in the mirror and saw the Trill at an odd angle and luckily I was in the far right lane and very near an exit ramp.

I was able to get right over onto the shoulder and stop without further incident. I did see the wheel continue on for some distance before it hopped a median never to be seen again, at least not by me.

I am convinced that my vehicle is what made the situation managable at all.
I was in my 94 FJ-80 Land Cruiser which is way more vehicle than the Trillium required for towing stability.
It really did feel as though I could have kept going without struggle if I had decided too.
Not a good thing for sure.

The Land Cruiser is not a great Tow Vehicle in a lot of ways but it does feel like it is always in charge and never being pushed by the trailer.

Anyway I tell this story as I am amazed still that I have never had a motorcycle or bicycle accident to speak of but I did lose a trailer wheel and came out OK.

If you are the least concerned that the vehicle may not be up to the task......what about this could compel you to try it anyway?!?

No amount of reasoning or physics came into play while the trailer was trying to flip the tow vehicle for me. Just a lot of poor gas mileage Japanese truck did its thing and I can tell of it.

I plan to never tow with a vehicle that I feel uncertain of and I am grateful I could learn this without hurting anyone.

Just my experience.

Ed
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 10:25 PM   #63

Trailer: Eco 12 ft
Just a quick note on the overhang/moment arm thing.
Absolutly correct. I've pulled the same trailer beind several variations of IH Scout, with overhang varying from negligable (on a '61 model), to extreme (a 79 with hitch extension to clear the spare tire.)

All had the same 100" wheelbase, and similar axle widths. By and large, the '61 was more stable then the later models with more overhang, despite having rather softer and older springs.

Another point that is sometimes overlooked: Tire width. Some poeple prefer the wider tires, believing that the extra track width will help the stability. I've found the exact opposite. The extra rubber just adds slop in the system, and that's a BAD thing
I've had the best luck with a super narrow 8-9" wide tire.

Of course, all my Scouts have grown up into pickups and travelall's.

Matt
Matt O'Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote