Towing with Jeep Renegade - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-09-2016, 01:16 PM   #1

Name: lee
Trailer: trailswest campsterl, 1996 Scamp 16 foot
Idaho
Towing with Jeep Renegade

Anyone out there towing with a Jeep Renegade ? I realize it is only rated to tow 2000 lbs so only the smallest of our fiberglass trailers would work with the Renegade i.e. Compacts, Little Joes, and some of the 13 footers so I do recognize it's limits. I have read on the Renegade forum that the manual trans often bogs down on initial acceletation just trying to move the vehicle itself which doens't bode well for towing. No info on the Renegade forum as to the automatic. I currently have a Trailswest Campster and am wondering if it would be a good match for it. Lee

Old 06-09-2016, 02:56 PM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2003 Casita 16' SD
Michigan
Registry
I count at least 3 threads on towing with the Renegade. Did you start there?

Old 06-09-2016, 04:37 PM   #3

Idaho
Steve I did check for threads and there are some but... the ones I found expound thus " I'm not towing with a renegade but my Cherokee, Wrangler, Patriot etc. do an excellent job " or provide info from the manual. I was hoping for a response from someone with actual experience with an actual Renegade. Lee
Old 06-10-2016, 10:56 AM   #4

Name: David
Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
California
Scamp weight ?

[QUOTE=Lee Senn;591920]Anyone out there towing with a Jeep Renegade ? I realize it is only rated to tow 2000 lbs so only the smallest of our fiberglass trailers would work with the Renegade i.e. Compacts, Little Joes, and some of the 13 footers so I do recognize it's limits. I have read on the Renegade forum that the manual trans often bogs down on initial acceletation just trying to move the vehicle itself which doens't bode well for towing. No info on the Renegade forum as to the automatic. I currently have a Trailswest Campster and am wondering if it would be a good match for it.

__________________________________________________ _______________

Hello Lee, My broher-in-law once had a friend who had a Jeep Cherokee or something like it . . .. . LOL !!!
But serously, Folks. . . Lee, hope we see you and Norma at the Oregon Gathering. And our Scamp barebones 13' is about 1200 lbs, without the water and 2 cases of chili beans. And campsters usually don't have all the air cond, hot water heater, furnace, extra batteries, toilet. "Seems' a good fit. Hope someone with real Renegade experience will join the discussion. (Maybe see you in Sonora or Twin Falls ?) Happy Trails !
David from Fresno and Sonora
Old 06-10-2016, 01:41 PM   #5

Idaho
David Good to hear from you and appreciate your response. Looking forward to seeing you and Julie at Bandon. Be sure to bring some of the groups latest Zydeco cds ( shameless plug ) as we have practically worn out the only one we have. Lee
Old 06-10-2016, 03:40 PM   #6

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
I just don't think any of our members are towing with a Renegade. Wanna be the guinea pig?
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 05:45 PM   #7

Idaho
Mike Unfortunately it looks like you are correct. i am hoping to avoid being the Guinea pig, my pockets aren't deep enough to correct a mistake in tow vehicle purchase. Lee
Old 06-10-2016, 06:16 PM   #8

Name: Dean
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
I tow my boler with a ford freestyle that has a 2000 pound towing capacity and it cruises along. Just stay under your weight limit and all is good.
Old 06-10-2016, 08:48 PM   #9

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
I've towed with my 1974 Ford Bronco which is about the same size, but the Bronco has a V8 so power isn't an issue, but the short wheel base and higher center of gravity are close to the same issues. Even a small trailer has allot of leverage on small wheel base rigs and I would recomend trailer brakes be added if your choice of trailer doesn't have them. I wouldn't hesitate to use the Jeep properly set up especially if your lucky to have a V6. With a 4 you have to have a little more patience climbing hills at freeway speeds.
Old 06-10-2016, 10:56 PM   #10

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
I've towed with my 1974 Ford Bronco which is about the same size, but the Bronco has a V8 so power isn't an issue, but the short wheel base and higher center of gravity are close to the same issues. Even a small trailer has allot of leverage on small wheel base rigs and I would recomend trailer brakes be added if your choice of trailer doesn't have them. I wouldn't hesitate to use the Jeep properly set up especially if your lucky to have a V6. With a 4 you have to have a little more patience climbing hills at freeway speeds.
Interesting. I did not remember the diminutive size of the early Bronco; my memory is of the '80s version. So I looked it up (as best I could find), and found the comparison to Renegade really surprising:

...........................Renegade..........Bronc o '66-'77
wheelbase ........... 101.2" .............. 92"
length .................. 166.6" ............ 151.5"
width ..................... 79.6" .............. 68.5"(w/o mirrors maybe?)
overall height ......... 66.5" ............... 70.7"
curb weight ......... about 3100 ..... about 3600 lbs
horsepower .......... 180 (4cyl) ..... 200-205 (V8)
torque .................. 175 ft-lb ........ 250(?)-280 ft-lb
ground clearance ... 6.5"-8.7" ......... 8.5"
(Trailhawk has the 8.7" ground clearance, other trims sit lower)

The Renegade is physically longer and wider, with longer wheelbase, but it's roughly 500 lbs lighter. Engine horsepower is not as different as one might suspect between a 4-banger and an 8, although certainly the V8 had a much bigger edge in torque to climb the hills with. Still, size-wise the Renegade does not appear to be incapable. The question will rest with the drive train, which should do fine on the flats but may need to slow down greatly on steep grades. (Aw, heck, all you have to do is slip it into low range, right?)
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 02:47 PM   #11

Trailer: 87 Scamp
Southern New Jersey
I have been towing a Scamp 13 for 11 years with a 98 Dodge Dakota 4 cyl. 120 H.P. 5spd. with a 2000lb. tow rating . It works for me.
Old 06-11-2016, 11:04 PM   #12

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Senn View Post
David Good to hear from you and appreciate your response. Looking forward to seeing you and Julie at Bandon. Be sure to bring some of the groups latest Zydeco cds ( shameless plug ) as we have practically worn out the only one we have. Lee
-----------------wwwwwww-------------------

Lee , a new Blues Box CD is almost finished. If finished, we will have one at Bandon for the Oregon Gathering. And you will be there with your Jeep and trailer ! ?
Old 06-12-2016, 07:29 AM   #13
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
I spotted a couple of these in front of a dealership the other day. It's easy to see the appeal. Your post prompted me to take a look so I went to the manufacturers site and Edmunds. There doesn't seem to be much difference between the two engines. The tow package seems to be a hitch and a 4 pin. Intended for boats and utility trailers I suspect. Some of the owner reviews are less than stellar. And unless I read things wrong you need to buy an upscale model to get the 2000 lb tow rating. That puts you in the upper $20k. Add to that, it's built on a Fiat platform.... If you're a Jeep fan, I suspect you can find a more capable model for the same money. Still, it does look nice.
Old 06-12-2016, 08:12 PM   #14

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
I spotted a couple of these in front of a dealership the other day. It's easy to see the appeal. Your post prompted me to take a look so I went to the manufacturers site and Edmunds. There doesn't seem to be much difference between the two engines. The tow package seems to be a hitch and a 4 pin. Intended for boats and utility trailers I suspect. Some of the owner reviews are less than stellar. And unless I read things wrong you need to buy an upscale model to get the 2000 lb tow rating. That puts you in the upper $20k. Add to that, it's built on a Fiat platform.... If you're a Jeep fan, I suspect you can find a more capable model for the same money. Still, it does look nice.
__________________________________________________ ___________

If this is the " Jeep " built on the FIAT platform, I would run ,not walk in the opposite direction !! For me, Reliability is MOST important ; you won't get that with FIAT. Right, Tony ? ( Fix It Again Tony )