Towing with Odyssey - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2008, 02:39 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
I heard mention of Odyssey transmission problems, so I Googled 'odyssey transmission failures' and came up with some hits, including:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Odyssey

Seems like pre-2004 models had problems.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 07:12 PM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

I think this is why my new mechanic suggested an aggressive maintenance schedule for my transmission:

Organic? or Synthetic? post
Old 03-29-2008, 08:03 PM   #3

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
I visit a site called

odyclub.com

The entire story and all opinions are well covered over there.
It is a good site,much like this one but a much larger less focused group in a way.

The Pre-03 ody' had a design defect that can cause sudden tranny failure.
Honda America has extended the warranty on these vans several times specific to the tranny problems.
They seem unwilling to do preventive replacements but some can get partial re-imbursement when it happens.

Mine has 102,000 on it and seems covered somehow to 109,000 miles.....maybe?

Mine has already had at least one and maybe two trannies before I got it.

Anyway it is a well known issue with these vans.
I really like mine but it does make me worry some.
I also do not tow or even have a hitch on mine.
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 08:18 AM   #4

Trailer: Trillium 5500 1980
Quote:
Anyway it is a well known issue with these vans.
I really like mine but it does make me worry some.
I also do not tow or even have a hitch on mine.
This is common to both Odyssey and Pilot (and Acura) until the middle of 2004 model year. Your VIN will tell every Honda dealer if your transmission is at risk or if it is a new model.

There is inadequate lubrication on some of the gears. Honda has a mechanical and efficient solution to the problem (the provided "kit" includes a hose connected to an hole in the block and this hose splashes more transmission oil on those gears). The procedure is well documented and perfectly known by every Honda dealer. This kit can be easily installed.

If your transmission has been changed or repaired by a Honda dealer, there is no doubt that the fix had been applied.

Honda has also issued a standardized procedure to check the actual condition of those transmissions and everyone having such a vehicle should have it specifically check by a Honda dealer. Nobody should get anxious about that matter. It is a well controlled issue and Honda is very open to an extended guaranty even over the indicated period.
Normand Choiniere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 09:47 AM   #5

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Norman
I appreciate your input but it seems overly optimistic from my experiences with any dealer in my area.
The attitude here seems to be "screw you and if you want our help,make enough noise".

If you google the issue I think the prevalent base of experience echos mine.
The dealers act as though they have no idea what you are talking about,even if you bring the bulletin in with you.
Repeated calls to Honda North America get only a if it is not broken yet we won't do anything reply.

When it does go out it of course leaves you stranded on the roadside.

Once broken,they sometimes will cover the parts but not the labor which amounts to several thousand dollars.
Frequently they just leave you on your own.

I am not trying to argue with you but I have researched this a lot and this is what I have learned.
I like the van a lot but I will be getting another Toyota when the Ody Expires.

Ed
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 10:03 AM   #6

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
Honda has a mechanical and efficient solution to the problem (the provided "kit" includes a hose connected to an hole in the block and this hose splashes more transmission oil on those gears). The procedure is well documented and perfectly known by every Honda dealer. This kit can be easily installed.
I received a recall notice from the corporate office on my '03 Odyssey, and my dealer (where I bought the car, and took it for regular maintenance) took care of this free of charge.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:45 AM   #7

Trailer: Trillium 5500 1980
Have a look at this very long thread on the Honda Pilot transmission problem :

http://hondapilot.org/forums/showthread.ph...p;threadid=8327

Honda has extended the original warranty for that specific transmission problem to 100,000 miles or 7 years. They first check the transmission condition and they install the kit if necessary. If the transmission is already degraded they replace the transmission.

It doesn't seem that there are big problems with that recall and Technical Service Bulletin. This is surely the best known issue since may be since the last 15 years. There is no dealer or mechanic that is not aware of that.

Our local Consumers organization have even agreed a deal with Honda (transmission starting in 1999). Honda will even replace the transmission after the 100,000 miles extended warranty for a flat 2,000 $ bill, everything included! (http://www.apa.ca/template.asp?DocID...g=french#Honda) This is not a big issue here. May be our consumers law are better?

It must also be understood that Honda won't change a transmission for reasons not related to this specific problem over the regular warranty period.
Normand Choiniere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 10:09 PM   #8

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
In checking with a dealer today I found out that the '99 to '01 Odysseys 4-speed transmissions had a gear set that can not be inspected from the filler plug opening. Also, there is no kit for installing a lubrication jet for those years, only for the later 5-speeds. Mine is also out of warranty.

It seems that I should be prepared for the possibility of a sudden failure, so I'm keeping up my Good Sam Emergency Service membership and arranging with my credit union so that I can have the $3200 bill (today's quote) payable anywhere in the country at a moment's notice. Bummer.

On the other hand, the Ody appears to be in great shape. I just don't like the term "catastrophic failure."
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 11:01 PM   #9

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
If you've prepared for it, likely it won't happen. If it does, it won't be a surprise...
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote