Towing with Rav4 - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2023, 12:46 PM   #21

Name: David
Trailer: 2013 Scamp 13 S1 BB
IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb in CT View Post
Thank you both, Jon and Gompka. Very helpful. I like my Rav4 cause despite its age its doing great with only 60K mls and don't want to destroy it by carrying or towing too much. Just thought so strange how everyone selling and purchasing seems to just discuss tow capacity. This forum has been great to learn the complexities. We don't need to take much for longer trips if we cant- few clothes, couple dishes, shoes etc is better than not going but it adds up I'm sure and looks like we'll be focusing on the practical extras like tools and skipping fun extras for now. We do have a Jeep with a powerhouse hemi V8 engine built to tow and carry like no other its size but its also old and has a lot more miles and other concerns for long trips. In long distance travel reducing stress of breakdowns is key so likely we will stick with my Rav4 for longer trips and travel light until one day in the future my BF unloads that jeep for a truck. Until then... I'll take your advice for sure. Thanks again!
Glad to help, fill it up for a trip and take it to a CAT scale to double check the weight. You may find your within range and don't have to worry.
Gompka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 05:47 PM   #22

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedalmike View Post
Airbags may be fine if you don't have any trailer stability issues when towing. Remember that all the tongue weight remains on the ball, even with airbags added. WDH distributes a portion of that weight to all four corners of the tow vehicle. As Glenn mentions a properly set up WDH will increase stability and make the rig more responsive if an evasive maneuver is ever needed.
The WDH shifts weight from the rear axle of the TV to the front axle of the TV AND to the trailer axle. This is done by leverage and account must be taken for the stress on the TV unibody/frame and ESPECIALLY on the trailer frame.

I disagree that a WDH will always improve handling or responsiveness vis a vis a properly matched and prepared combination without a WDH.

IMO a WDH is very rarely appropriate for the typical and smaller fiberglass trailers... perhaps for the largest of the ever increasing sizes being offered today, but they are rapidly becoming a separate class altogether.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 06:25 AM   #23

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb in CT View Post
However my concern comes in with my 2007 Rav4 max gross vehicle weight/ payload capacity being only 825 lbs
That's a valid concern and really limits your choice of trailer. I'd suggest you find a trailer you like and then shop for an appropriate tow vehicle. Restricting your trailer options to match an aged tow vehicle may not be the best path if you plan extensive travels.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 08:07 AM   #24

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I totally understand wanting to keep an older, reliable vehicle, especially a rare RAV4 V6 tow package. Given sky-high prices of tow-ready vehicles, I would make some sacrifices, too.

Scamp is typically lighter than Casita for comparable 16’ers. Avoid 2021+ as they’ve gained weight since the redesign. Go with a single LP tank to reduce tongue weight. Choose lightweight bedding and kitchenware. Stow tools in a compartment near the center of the trailer. Put your bicycles on top of the vehicle, and stow the ice chest and inflatable kayaks in the trailer (on the floor over the axle). Move them to the tow vehicle when you unhitch.

With some finessing you should be able to make it work with gross weight around 2600-2700# and tongue weight at or below 300#. Check your final axle-by-axle weights at a certified scale and weigh the tongue on your first outing to make sure you’re within chassis ratings and have sufficient tongue weight (around 12%) for stable, sway-free towing. Hook up trailer brakes and install a sway bar for added safety. Agree that WDH is not the solution here.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote