Toyota Recalls 6 million vehicles - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-09-2014, 01:30 PM   #1

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Toyota Recalls 6 million vehicles

Todays news item at Globalnews.ca.

Cars involved in the recall: Toyota Corolla, RAV4, Matrix, Yaris, Highlander, and Tacoma, Pontiac Vibe, Subaru Trezia and Scion xD.

"The recall cases total 6.76 million vehicles for 27 Toyota models, the Pontiac Vibe and the Subaru Trezia, produced from April 2004 through August 2013."

"Toyota Canada issued two separate recall notices affecting a total of 513,401 vehicles on Wednesday as part of the global initiative. One of the recalls affects 360,963 cars and SUVs with a spiral cable assembly that can be damaged when the steering wheel is turned and then, potentially, prevent the driver’s airbag from deploying in a crash.

The spiral cable assembly is in a large range of models, including the Corolla, RAV4, Matrix, Yaris, Highlander, and Tacoma, that were from various model years."

"The Pontiac Vibe, which is a General Motors Co. model, is also involved because Toyota and GM made cars at the same plant in California and the recalled model is the same as the Toyota Matrix. It was recalled for a problem with a spiral cable attached to an air-bag. It is unrelated to a separate GM recall over ignition switches linked to at least 13 deaths.

Subaru is partly owned by Toyota, and the model was the same as the Toyota Ractis."

"Toyota’s global recall also reported problems with seat rails, the bracket holding the steering column in place, and the windshield-wiper motor."
"Toyota Canada said that recall affects certain models of the Yaris hatchback, Yaris sedan and the 2010 model of the Scion xD."
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 01:47 PM   #2

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
We just got a recall notice on our 2012 RAV4. It is not the same as above. Our's is called "Brake Actuator Reprogramming".

We had a warning light come on once, but haven't had a problem. Now we will get the fix and be glad Toyota got the notice to us. In our case I think it was the "slip indicator". When there was no reason for us to slip.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 03:33 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I just got a recall notice of a recall notice for my RAV4.
Seems some mechanics didn't follow proper procedure for the first recall, so now they have to check them all.
Due for a service at the end of the month anyway.
Old 04-09-2014, 03:50 PM   #4

Registry
Watching the news video it doesnt sound like they have sent out any recalls on the issues the story covers yet.... it suggested i may be awhile before they get the notices out if your car is in fact one of the ones with the issue.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:40 PM   #5

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Doggone it! I already had to pay for that airbag cable about 3 years ago when the airbag light came on and they figured out that the cable had gone bad. I wonder if Toyota will send me a refund check? (Fat chance.)
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 07:59 PM   #6

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
No recalls on my ancient 4runner or my '09 GX470 or my wife's '10 Prius? Takes a really blind pig to find three acorns in a row.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:46 PM   #7

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Diverting attention away from government bailed out GM
and their problems?

Probably in part.

Just traded my 10 Tacoma for a 14 Odyssey............LOL
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:26 PM   #8

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
The 1.2 billion penalty on Toyota was a "severe warning" to Gummit Motahs. Bet GM is scared spitless. NOT! And the 1.2 extremely large makes up for a lot of yrs of lost tariffs.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:41 PM   #9

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
The 1.2 billion penalty on Toyota was a "severe warning" to Gummit Motahs. Bet GM is scared spitless. NOT! And the 1.2 extremely large makes up for a lot of yrs of lost tariffs.

jack
I just read a report on that penalty Toyota paid.
They weren't found guilty of anything but settled
just to make it go away..............

That's how politics works.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:27 PM   #10

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Doggone it! I already had to pay for that airbag cable about 3 years ago when the airbag light came on and they figured out that the cable had gone bad. I wonder if Toyota will send me a refund check? (Fat chance.)
I would go back to the dealer that did the work now that the recall is out - assuming you get a notice or they check your VIN to see if it on the recall list and just ask them for the refund.... the dealer will have the history on their computer system of what they have done to your vehicle...
Old 04-10-2014, 06:37 AM   #11

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Can't hurt to ask, anyway.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 06:35 PM   #12

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Quote:
I was at the dealership for something else with my 07 Tacoma and they changed mine under warranty. I never had a problem and I don't remember receiving a recall notice.
I don't know if it was a recall or just what they call a service bulletin.
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 11:31 PM   #13

Trailer: Compact Jr 1972
Thanks for posting this Carol.
Cory Hilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 11:52 PM   #14

The recall of the recall that I recently got was this.
Apparently, if some mechanic tightened a bolt incorrectly while re-aligning a suspension part on the rear of the vehicle, it could cause a problem.
So Toyota inspected the part, determined that I had not had a re-alignment and then applied a decal to the part that instructs mechanics ( who may not work for Toyota ) on how they are to torque the bolt properly.
I'm guessing, in my case, they will look at the suspension and determine that the decal was properly applied.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:13 AM   #15

Name: Rick
Trailer: TBA
Wisconsin
Quote:
It can't hurt to call your dealer and ask. I once received a check for $250.00 from VW for a similar situation.
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 09:38 AM   #16

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
It can't hurt to call your dealer and ask. I once received a check for $250.00 from VW for a similar situation.
Its important though if they charged you for work done that you go back to the actual dealer that the work was done at.

Late last year I attempting to get the service history of a truck still under warranty I was considering buying. I discovered that the dealers only have access to records to what was done under warranty or recall at another dealer through the vehicle manufactures central computer. If it was just routine service done at a different dealer or a repair the customer paid for it doesn't show up in the central data base. Sadly few dealers actually mark the service book in the vehicle anymore to show the work was done.

In my situations I had to call the original dealer who sold the vehicle and serviced it for its first two years in order to get the facts on what services had been done on it other than warranty or recall.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:43 AM   #17

Fill in those warranty registration cards and mail them in when you buy any appliance or electronics.
I had an Olympus camera fail on me. I almost tossed it out, but took it in for an estimate. Shop informed me that the camera was subject to a recall and the repair was covered by Olympus. If I had sent in the card, they would have notified me by mail.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:28 AM   #18

Registry
If you are wondering if there are any outstanding recalls on your vehicle you didn't know about due to having moved and not receiving the notice or having purchased the car used there are a couple of websites you can search your make and year of car on:

For Canadian Recalls the Website is Transport Canada's Road Safety Recalls Database.

For USA Recalls the Website is Safercar.gov

Note though that the most recent major recall mentioned in the above news story may not all be in the data bases yet. Although it looks like the USA data base has more current info (including some of the above recall issues) than the Canadian one.