Tradeoffs - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2014, 08:10 AM   #1

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Tradeoffs

Yesterday we met a very nice couple of Scampers from Canada. They knocked at our door, we gave them a tour of our Scamp and introduced them to FRV. They invited us to their trailer telling us their trailer was very different from ours. It was.

They had the front bathroom, no front window. This gives you a larger bathroom bu dramatically makes the trailer seem a lot smaller. Since we typically use campground showers, the small bathroom is all we need. (I do recognize that some campers find campground showers revolting.)

As well they keep their bed made up. This also makes the trailer seem smaller. I really see no reason to keep the bed made up. The made up bed reduces access to under dinette seat storage (where we have drawers under our dinette). Secondarily our folding short table provides access for four to set down and actually two more could sit on our couch. (Front bath, no couch.)

I'm not prone to feeling too close in our little rig, but there's seemed to be tight.

I will say they very nice people as small trailer owners seem to be. I guess part of it is that you're not likely to last long in this kind of space unless your nice to each other (and probably others).

I'm a follower of the Tiny House. It's clear from that series that it's what you do with limited space. Space that is not fixed, that can be used in more than one way increases the value of limited space.

Just a thought...

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 09:20 AM   #2

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
I have never seen a front bath Scamp in person, but do like the idea of a two person dinette. I am also going to say, that at least for me, I want my bed set up all the time. I occasionally enjoy lounging and napping during the day, and want a real bed (as real as it gets in the Scamp anyway). Hey, I am on vacation, and vacation/time off means doing as I please. And often that means a nap. All that said I think that maybe my layout 4 (side bath) with a front dinette mod might suit my needs the best.

I have other projects ahead of the dinette mod but I hope to get roundtoit some day. I think I have it figured where I can do the front dinette mod but still be able to reinstall the upper bunk (sofa seat back) if I need it for somebody to sleep up there. It is not likely once I get that far but I like to not make permanent changes if I can help it.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 09:23 AM   #3

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
A front dinette Trillium 4500 with the bed made up most of the time is my ideal two person trailer. No bathroom. We all have our preferences.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 09:28 AM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
I know how you feel. People visiting our Scamp 13 are amazed how open it feels inside with no bathroom and our Ikea drape rail system. With the drapes moved into the corners it opens up the windows and with no bath the front picture windows opens up the light and view from inside. We leave the bed down full time as our front Goucho is cut for a table. We drop that every night to make a front bed. Its amazing to hear nice comments from all the people residing in trailers much larger than ours. Of course most wont dream of going back to no bathroom.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 09:32 AM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
We own a 13' Scamp with front bath/shower/sink. It's probably the smallest configured trailer available with that size bath complete with sink/shower. (TAB now offers a wet bath as well).

WHEN we finally decide to "upsize" for longer-stay camping, the next camper will have a couch, walk-around bed and of course a dining area.

We wouldnt even entertain the idea of an RV without a bathroom--- especially after our experience this Sept at McFarland Park in Florence, AL. That (meaning ONE bathroom) was the most despicable bathroom/shower facility we'd ever been in! If it hadnt been for our bathroom, we'd left.

But as it's been said, that's the beauty of RVing, we all have our preferences and get to act on them...and not stuck with things in our camper we dont like. (In the Egg versions anyway).
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 09:52 AM   #6

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
We have the scamp 16 with front bath. I did not camp much yet, but we keep on changing our minds. 1st I was going to keep the large dinette as a bed, now i want it to be set up, it as a matter of a few minutes to make the change. I was going to keep the side dinette set up all the time, but find it makes a nice large sofa to lounge in. At dinner/breakfast/ super/ both tables are up, gives us a lot of counter space. We have been in some swanky restaurants that offered less space to dine in. I go out into the driveway and sit in the scamp and think of all the possible ways to make us feel comfortable. Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 11:11 AM   #7

Florida
Anything's OK

I certainly realize that if you like it, it's OK.

As to counter space, few fiberglass trailers of any size have the counter space and space between counters of a Scamp 16 with layout 4.

We felt that a bathroom was an absolute necessity because I used to get up a couple of times a night. Once I started taking 2000 units of Vitamin D3 at supper, I have slept thru the night, a small miracle. (not that I or Ginny ever minded the climb over.

We used a trailer with a fulltime bed and side dinette and did like it but it seemed smaller with a front bath. The nice part of it e]was the side dinette had swivel captains chairs, comfortable but wide.

As I've said before we once went to a Fiberglass rally with mostly Casitas. Everyone who came into our trailer on Show and Tell day thought our trailer was bigger than their trailer. It was the illusion of the front window and wider aisle and maybe for some the increased height.

Since I've started our daily exercise mentioned in another thread, I frequently take a short Tony (nap). The couch works well. Generally neither of us nap until the exercise.

Our new Scamp friends commented on the difference between vacation or weekend camping and long term camping. We spend over 200 days a year in our Scamp.

As to campground showers state, COE and provincial campgrounds are usually excellent. WE have now spent over 2000 nights in campgrounds, there have been some bad showers but even the bad ones have had hot, clean water. On occasion I'll take my hand brush and scrub a part of the wall when I'm in there, trying to make it a little better. There are very few campgrounds in 2000 that Ginny has marked in her log not to return to.

On the whole we all have relatively small spaces, and each are creating ways to live happily in a small space.

Safe travels

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 11-04-2014, 11:35 AM   #8

I agree on the COE campgrounds and their bath facilities. Many of them in Tennessee over the past year or so have been completely refinished or had new ones built; some complete with Stainless steel fixtures. Oddly, McFarland in Alabama is owned by TVA (Tennessee Valley Authority).

In McFarland's defense, I did speak with and complain to the Mayor of Florence and believe it or not, about 3-4 weeks ago, he personally sent me pictures of the bathrooms. They've been cleaned, stripped, painted, new seats..... I was shocked! But it was nice that someone took "ownership" of the situation and made some very necessary changes!

For what it's worth, it's a VERY beautiful park facility sitting on the bank of a very busy Tenn. River stretch. All of the park itself is very nice and very well kept! You can leave the park and have access to alot of historical sites (including Helen Keller's birthplace) and tons of restaurants. It's also accessible from a short hop off the Natchez Trace Pky making travel to location a very scenic drive.
Old 11-04-2014, 11:51 AM   #9

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
[QUOTE=honda03842;490604]WE have now spent over 2000 nights in campgrounds, there have been some bad showers but even the bad ones have had hot, clean water. On occasion I'll take my hand brush and scrub a part of the wall when I'm in there, trying to make it a little better. There are very few campgrounds in 2000 that Ginny has marked in her log not to return to./QUOTE]

Earlier this year on the way back from an extended trip we stopped at a small no-hookups campground supposedly overseen by a neighboring county just to check it out for a future cheap weekend getaway. The facility is mostly a local public boat ramp and picnic spot, with a somewhat neglected campground adjacent. The Men’s room was truly horrible. I worked construction and used a porta-john every working day for most of 30 years so I know horrible. My daughter used the Lady’s room and said it was quite nice.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 01:18 PM   #10

Trailer: 1994 Scamp 16
Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
I certainly realize that if you like it, it's OK.

As to counter space, few fiberglass trailers of any size have the counter space and space between counters of a Scamp 16 with layout 4.

We felt that a bathroom was an absolute necessity because I used to get up a couple of times a night. Once I started taking 2000 units of Vitamin D3 at supper, I have slept thru the night, a small miracle. (not that I or Ginny ever minded the climb over.

We used a trailer with a fulltime bed and side dinette and did like it but it seemed smaller with a front bath. The nice part of it e]was the side dinette had swivel captains chairs, comfortable but wide.

As I've said before we once went to a Fiberglass rally with mostly Casitas. Everyone who came into our trailer on Show and Tell day thought our trailer was bigger than their trailer. It was the illusion of the front window and wider aisle and maybe for some the increased height.

Since I've started our daily exercise mentioned in another thread, I frequently take a short Tony (nap). The couch works well. Generally neither of us nap until the exercise.

Our new Scamp friends commented on the difference between vacation or weekend camping and long term camping. We spend over 200 days a year in our Scamp.

As to campground showers state, COE and provincial campgrounds are usually excellent. WE have now spent over 2000 nights in campgrounds, there have been some bad showers but even the bad ones have had hot, clean water. On occasion I'll take my hand brush and scrub a part of the wall when I'm in there, trying to make it a little better. There are very few campgrounds in 2000 that Ginny has marked in her log not to return to.

On the whole we all have relatively small spaces, and each are creating ways to live happily in a small space.

Safe travels
Norm,
You are correct that some parks have very clean and nice shower areas.
Do you know of a web site where I can find the occasional bad shower areas? That way the bad places can be avoided!
Thanks,

If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else! Yogi Berra
Nut501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 01:49 PM   #11

Florida
Carl, For us bad showers are a small part of the whole and relatively a real small percentage of those that we have visited.

Ginny makes comments in her 14 year log when the showers are inadequate but they are so rare. There is one campground in NS that we stop at on every visit north that has lousy showers. The owner's very nice, we get a wonderful site on the water virtually alone and we pay passport price or less. We just wait for the next stop for a shower.

Who can complain when your parked on the north coast of NS looking across the water at PEI. Pictou also has a great little lunch place that makes good, 'different food', that also makes great shortbread cookies. Life is taking the good and the bad and not letting the bad overwhelm the good.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 11-04-2014, 01:52 PM   #12

Name: David
Trailer: 2013 Scamp 16'
Wisconsin
A website that lists bad showers and/or bath? May I suggest that we leave reviews of the camp grounds on the Allstays app site. I use it all the time when I am looking for where we could camp. I've had one very bad bathroom on the Erie Canal. The next morning I discovered there were better baths in another building further up the campground. A boarded-up door with a sign would have been appreciated.

Sironi
Dsironi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 03:18 PM   #13

Trailer: 1994 Scamp 16
Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Carl, For us bad showers are a small part of the whole and relatively a real small percentage of those that we have visited.

Ginny makes comments in her 14 year log when the showers are inadequate but they are so rare. There is one campground in NS that we stop at on every visit north that has lousy showers. The owner's very nice, we get a wonderful site on the water virtually alone and we pay passport price or less. We just wait for the next stop for a shower.

Who can complain when your parked on the north coast of NS looking across the water at PEI. Pictou also has a great little lunch place that makes good, 'different food', that also makes great shortbread cookies. Life is taking the good and the bad and not letting the bad overwhelm the good.
Norm,
You are correct, there is no use in letting the little things spoil a great trip!
I am glad that you always look on the bright side of things!
Thanks,

If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else! Yogi Berra
Nut501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 03:46 PM   #14

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
I agree on the COE campgrounds and their bath facilities. Many of them in Tennessee over the past year or so have been completely refinished or had new ones built; some complete with Stainless steel fixtures. Oddly, McFarland in Alabama is owned by TVA (Tennessee Valley Authority).

In McFarland's defense, I did speak with and complain to the Mayor of Florence and believe it or not, about 3-4 weeks ago, he personally sent me pictures of the bathrooms. They've been cleaned, stripped, painted, new seats..... I was shocked! But it was nice that someone took "ownership" of the situation and made some very necessary changes!

For what it's worth, it's a VERY beautiful park facility sitting on the bank of a very busy Tenn. River stretch. All of the park itself is very nice and very well kept! You can leave the park and have access to alot of historical sites (including Helen Keller's birthplace) and tons of restaurants. It's also accessible from a short hop off the Natchez Trace Pky making travel to location a very scenic drive.
I hope people will go over and patronize that place after the trouble they went to improving it!
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 03:54 PM   #15

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Good Sam CG directory has a rating system that includes a rating for the facilities' cleanliness and presentability. Some GS members have complained that the ratings are not always accurate, though.

About side baths, I've always felt like the side bath makes an interior feel closed in. A bath at one end or the other keeps it out of the way, not cluttering up the middle of the trailer. I guess I like the feeling of width as I walk down the aisle. I must not be alone, because Parkliner owners seem to feel like their trailers (front bath, of course) are quite spacious.

Different strokes....
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 04:15 PM   #16

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
I agree with Norm & Ginny - if I can stand the campground showers, that's where I head. My standards are pretty low, but I have turned down a few. Spent a year "camping" in RVN & didn't see a shower for 6 months.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 04:40 PM   #17

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
If you think the front bath makes a Scamp "seem" smaller, then just put a mirror on the bathroom door! VIOLA! Double yoker!
Problem is you now have the illusion of twice the space, but who are those extra old people who are now staring back at you and crowding up the place????

Don't forget... a window (even a large front window) is nothing more than an inefficient wall when the curtains are closed!
Hey! maybe that's why so many campers have curtains which look like trees or outdoor scenes... endless horizons by simply closing the curtains!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 04:49 PM   #18

Seems to be working for Oliver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
If you think the front bath makes a Scamp "seem" smaller, then just put a mirror on the bathroom door! VIOLA! Double yoker!
Problem is you now have the illusion of twice the space, but who are those extra old people who have now suddenly appeared???
Old 11-04-2014, 04:56 PM   #19

Umm...I dont quite call it "trouble"....it's called "maintenance" that has to happen to ALL campground/park facilities. This one had just been heavily neglected for what ever reason. But YES, we'll definitely be back! As I said, it's a SUPER beautiful park near a water front that's unbeatable to me.

While some may think it was just "complaining", they did thank me for bringing it to their attention. So to me, it was a win-win situation for all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathi View Post
I hope people will go over and patronize that place after the trouble they went to improving it!
Old 11-04-2014, 05:07 PM   #20

Florida
Mike, when you reach 72 your just so happy to be there appearances are way down the list. Ginny tells me she sees 16. She is the best.

We do have a full length mirror on our bathroom door.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fiberglass RV mobile app

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16