Trading up?? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2007, 11:39 AM   #1

Trailer: Casita 16 ft Freedom Deluxe
I have a 2004 16' Casita FD. My wife and I recently went on our first extended trip (45 days) and really loved everything except for the size of the bed. I have the entire back dining area converted into a permenant bed with a great mattress and it is very comfortable for one person. For two people it is OK for about one week and therafter it becomes gruesome.

So, we have decided to sell our Casita and get something that has a bigger sleeping area. One of our ideas is the 19' Scamp 5th wheel which we have only seen on-line. In fact the only trailers we have seen that may be OK we have only seen on-line. We like the smallness of the Casita and do not want to go much bigger and we are hopefull that we can get some idea from some other people who may have experienced the same thing.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Don
Don G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 11:54 AM   #2

Trailer: Casita 16 ft 1984 and U-Haul CT13 1985
Registry
Hi Don,

Mike Watters is compiling a list of bed dimensions for various trailers, and it might be useful for you to look at it if you haven't already. Here's the link to it. In addition, the 16' and 17' Casita Liberty have an optional king size bed. Good luck in your search!

Jeanne
Jeanne and Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 11:58 AM   #3

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
The Scamp 19' can be converted to a large lengthwise bed in loft, and perhaps can be ordered that way as a Custom Deluxe. The Escape 5.0 has a large lengthwise loft bed as the standard plan. Both Scamp and Escape will try to find an owner in your area to show you their trailer.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 12:52 PM   #4

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Quote:
The Scamp 19' can be converted to a large lengthwise bed in loft, and perhaps can be ordered that way as a Custom Deluxe.
Alas, no. If you want a lengthwise bed you have to do it yourself. Otherwise the wall-to-wall dimensions of the bed in the Scamp 5er loft are about 6' x 5'. Many taller people are comfortable with that bed size, but Lynne and I (who are both 5'8") felt cramped, so we took out the gaucho and extended the loft platform so we could fit a bed that is roughly "RV Queen" (60" wide x 75" long, longer down the center of the bed where the Scamp's rounded front end is deepest, shorter at the sides) size with room for our toes to stretch out beyond the bed's end. (I have a topic showing my mods and some of the construction steps: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/in...howtopic=23082 . There's also a comparison of the Scamp and Escape 5ers around post 43 or so.)

Quote:
The Escape 5.0 has a large lengthwise loft bed as the standard plan. Both Scamp and Escape will try to find an owner in your area to show you their trailer.
There's also waiting for a Bigfoot 5er, like this one in Portland, OR, to show up on the used market. The Bigfoot 5ers are slightly longer, wider, and heavier (3500lbs dry vs 2500lbs for a reasonably-appointed Scamp 5er), but that extra thousand pounds gives them a sense of interior space in the main part of the trailer that the Scamp and Escape don't offer.

--P
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote