Tragic fire may have taken some members of the fiberglass community - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2019, 12:22 PM   #1

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Tragic fire may have taken some members of the fiberglass community

While watching CBC's The National newscast on Dec 6 there was a piece about a tragic fire in Rochfort Bridge AB. Partway through the newsclip it shows a boler in the background as heavy equipment demolished the remains of the house.

I waited to see if CBC would post the clip separately to provide a link here. They have not. So you would have to stream that days news for it to come up.

Global news did post a clip with the boler in the background @ 1:25.
https://globalnews.ca/video/6267981/...idge-five-dead

Quote:
A family member has confirmed to CBC News the deceased were Marvin and Janet Gibbs and their three grandchildren.

I'm posting this in case anybody knew or met the family in their travels.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 10:15 AM   #2

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Roy in TO:

That is horribly tragic; five people in one family, grandparents and three grandchildren.

My sincerely sympathy and deepest thoughts are with the family survivors.

Kathleen
Old 12-09-2019, 03:17 PM   #3

Name: Pat
Trailer: Escape 2013 19 ft
California
This is so sad , I don’t even know what to say . Pat
LindaandPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 08:07 PM   #4

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
While watching CBC's The National newscast on Dec 6 there was a piece about a tragic fire in Rochfort Bridge AB. Partway through the newsclip it shows a boler in the background as heavy equipment demolished the remains of the house.

I waited to see if CBC would post the clip separately to provide a link here. They have not. So you would have to stream that days news for it to come up.

What a horrid tragedy. Condolences to the families involved. Just takes your breath away in sorrow.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 08:22 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I find it curious that dozens of people lose their lives in tragedies across North America every day without comment, but because there was a boler trailer in the TV video, there is an outpouring of grief.
Old 12-10-2019, 08:41 AM   #6

Name: Shirley
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
Quote:

What a horrible tragedy and such devastation to their family. My deepest most heartfelt condolences to their family, friends and community!

Thank you for sharing this information so those of us who care about the fiberglass community or those who may have met them in their travels can keep them in our thoughts and prayers ! I live in the US and don’t have a TV so I would have never known without your sharing. It is impossible to know about every tragedy across the country but when one does hear of such devastation, it shows compassion and care to express a heartfelt message to those hurting !!!

Shirley
Rnupnorthbrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 02:30 PM   #7
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I find it curious that dozens of people lose their lives in tragedies across North America every day without comment, but because there was a boler trailer in the TV video, there is an outpouring .of grief.
I don’t think anyone is giving any special attention because it it involved a boler ,only that we can relate to them and that tragedies can happen to anyone including us.
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 06:07 PM   #8

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
I find it curious that dozens of people lose their lives in tragedies across North America every day without comment, but because there was a boler trailer in the TV video, there is an outpouring of grief.
Not just because there was a trailer in the video. Three children died tragically. It was the trailer that brought this group together in grief because that is what this group is about. We are also in grief for the police officer and others that died in Jersey City, NJ today but other groups will be together on that one.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 06:21 PM   #9

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
It was sad to hear about the family and I can put your mind to ease about the Boler. It was in very poor shape and I think the rear end was punched in . I saw it a few years ago Poor lonely Boler
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 07:28 PM   #10

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
[QUOTE=Glenn Baglo;762480]OK. So, now what are you going to do about it? Are you going to seek out families where you live that need smoke detectors or carbon monoxide detectors in their home, but can't afford them?
Discussing a tragedy via social, print or other types of media is often enough to raise awareness that we all need to take safety precautions to prevent a tragedy in our own lives. That is certainly a sufficient reason to discuss such events.

Perhaps sometimes it might result in a person initiating a local action group to put on an awareness campaign in schools and in the local news. Or someone volunteering to help such a group.

Railing against people discussing it, well that is OK too if it really bothers you to read about tragedy and if you feel the discussion is causing real harm other than just annoying the heck out of you. Which of course can also cause harm in people's online lives
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 07:34 PM   #11

This thread would never have appeared on this forum without the boler connection.
That was my point.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2019-12-10 at 5.12.22 PM.png  
Old 12-10-2019, 08:00 PM   #12

Alberta
Registry
The sad thing is this small town has had its share of tragedy. In 2005 4 RCMP officers were killed just north of the town.
Old 12-10-2019, 08:09 PM   #13

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:

Quote:
This thread would never have appeared on this forum without the boler connection.
That was my point.
Boler...
Molded Fiberglass RV forum...
...there is a connection? Who woulda guessed.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 09:20 AM   #14

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
I think we all understand Glenn's point, it's just one of those things it's better not to say out loud.

But we all do this. If we don't find that we relate to a certain group in any way, we don't feel much sympathy for them. If there's a common bond, we feel like we understand each other and now if something bad happens we can kind of see ourselves in the people it happened to and so our empathy kicks in. Otherwise, with a globally connected world, we're hearing about people dying every day and we're generally fairly numb to it.

Us vs them. Remind you of anything? It's everywhere, especially in times of war and is used regularly as propaganda. If you see people as an "other", you can be ok with them dying. Once you find a way to relate to them, things get complicated.

Definitely really sad to hear about this fire and the deaths.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 12:24 AM   #15

Quote:
That was my point.
You are absolutely right Glenn.

To me initially, it was just another tragedy 1/2 way across the country on the nightly news. I looked up from my laptop and caught a glimpse of the boler in the background. I rewound the clip to watch wondering if it was anybody I might know. They weren't. Then I thought that maybe somebody here might know them.

It is interesting that @Dudley (David) recognized the trailer and the location.

Even more interesting that he posted about it over 3 years ago.

There are a lot of people here on the forum that I've had some kind of connection with over the years. Chances are that if I heard their real name on the news, I wouldn't know who they were. The same for many people I've met and chatted with repeatedly at meets. Often last names are omitted. But you know these people and you have connected. That connection brings a little more meaning to events good or bad.
Old 12-12-2019, 01:03 AM   #16

I agree Roy.

What I was questioning was the resulting posts of grief. As a news photographer for five decades, I experienced a lot of grief first hand.

I removed my daughter's grad picture from the mantle because it reminded me of interviewing parents of a lost daughter, and photographing that girl's grad photo.

I wasn't condemning anybody. Just questioning how we respond to events.
Old 12-12-2019, 01:41 AM   #17

Quote:
I removed my daughter's grad picture from the mantle because it reminded me of interviewing parents of a lost daughter, and photographing that girl's grad photo.

I wasn't condemning anybody. Just questioning how we respond to events.

I think the key is how one relates to an event.

Your memory of the grief the parents and their daughters grad photo caused you to take action in you own home.

Others relate to grief in their own ways.
Old 12-12-2019, 04:17 PM   #18

Alberta
Registry
I know the location as I used to do a RC Float Fly just south of the town at Paddle River. BTW if you are taking a trip to Alaska, you drive right past it. It has a trading post and a small restaurant in the back. Take the "path less traveled" and you never know what you you will find in some of the small hamlets. We will sometime drive out there for lunch, just to get out of the city. When stuff like the fire hits a small community like this hamlet, it hits them hard. Everybody knows everybody in town, not like the city.

It also has one of the longest wooden trestle bridges in north america, thus the name.
Old 12-14-2019, 11:52 AM   #19

Name: Jan
Trailer: 21' Escape
California
Glenn is spot on. We have become somewhat immune to things we hear in the news or other media; however, if it's something that touches us in some way, our response is totally different. Our community is trying to cope right now because of a missing puppy which ran away from his owner while on a walk. While that was sad (because we all love our pets), what kicked things into high gear was when people found out that the owners had lost their 18 year old son earlier this year and the puppy was part of their healing process. Since most people can relate to pets and/or children, the search has taken on a new meaning.
Old 12-14-2019, 11:58 AM   #20

Name: Jerrybob
Trailer: casita
Washington
Nothing wrong with caring.....everyone gets to do it in their own way...respect each other.....it's simple.
jerrybob is offline   Reply With Quote