Trailer alarm - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2008, 08:38 AM   #1

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
This looks like a good way to protect your trailer.
http://www.asianwolf.com/tilt-sensor-caralarm.html

Name:   yhst_14831500412995_2018_1724913.gif
Views: 65
Size:  12.7 KB

Just put it inside your trailer in a locked compartment with its own battery.
Purchase at http://cgi.ebay.com/DIGITAL-TILT-SENSOR-FO...id=p3286.c0.m14
Video
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 09:51 AM   #2

Trailer:
Won't it go off as you rock the trailer getting out or getting back in?

Andrew
Andrew Gibbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 10:00 AM   #3

Registry
You would have to have a switch hidden outside to turn it off.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:54 PM   #4

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
The listing isn't available anymore, so I can't look at the details to figure out whetehr it would work or not. It would sure save me a lot of time and effort if it did!

I have a trio of concerns about a simple tilt sensor. The first is whether it can carry the current needed to operate the brakes without burning out, the second is whether it has a timer that engages the circuit for a set number of seconds or minutes after the tilt sensor goes off, and the third is whether it'll sense both vibration and tilt.

It'd be great if it does all those things.
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 07:19 PM   #5

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
That alarm is extremely complex for what it does.

I think I would rather use a Bulldog Alarm Model 802 which is easy to install and really works.

I don't use them on my vehicles because they have their own alarms, but I did install one on my 1986 Fiero. I also use tham when I need to have a remote on/off device.
CD Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:20 AM   #6

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
The tilt sensor connects to your installed alarm and will set it off should someone enter the camper while getting in. It has nothing to do with the brakes. It is all solid state.

Your installed alarm will have a delay for exiting the vehicle.
4 me, a better solution was the Harbor Freight battery operated IR self contained alarm.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:26 AM   #7

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Folks, you're much better off with a mechanical solution against trailer theft. Alarms are, for the most part, annoying noise makers that do absolutely nothing to deter or stop theft or burglary. They're generally only set off by the owners of the trailer/house/car and then most frequently by accident. The are so common that no one pays attention to them. Only slightly more effective are video camera systems. At least video has the potential for being used to identify and prosecute someone after the fact, even though the quality or angles are so poor that video is useless 98% of the time.

Denver boots, tongue locking devices, and pad-eye tie down locks are your best defenses against having the trailer stolen. Frankly, most of the expense of having a trailer burglarized isn't from what's stolen, it's from the damage done prying the door... and an alarm isn't going to do anything to prevent that.

A crook who is determined to steal your trailer is going to do it anyway. The only ones you'll deter are the casual, spur of the moment type thief.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 12:34 PM   #8

Registry
Try this http://www.asianwolf.com/tilt-sensor-caralarm.html
Old 01-16-2009, 01:25 PM   #9

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
I think Roger gives good advice on this topic. The last thing I want to hear is false alarms going off in the campgrounds from unattended trailers.

I'd spend the time and money making sure you have the correct replacement value insurance negotiated with your insurance company and in the rare event that anyone manages to swipe your trailer you can get reimbursed properly.

I've never heard since I've been on this forum of this happening to anyone in a campground. Has anyone lost a trailer this way, if so would sure love to hear the stories?? Personally, never had any problems in two years of camping all over the West.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 06:23 PM   #10

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Some comments on this topic.

Animal ID's: As I understand them, they are passive transponders and only activate if someone passes an instrument that generates a field and reads a response. A pet is much smaller than an RV and there are no standard places to place such a thing.

Alarms: What has been said does seem to be true, in that they are generally ignored. When was the last time you called the police because you heard a car alarm going off?

Locks: While no lock made by man can stop another man from defeating it, the whole point is to make it so difficult or time consuming that a thief will look for easier pickings. These do have the advantage of being visible and possibly preventing an attempt. I think just drilling a hole through the side of the hitch and inserting a good, thick hasp lock would be as effective as anything.

Unlocked doors: My grandparents lived on a farm. The nearest neighbor was 1/2 mile away. A locked door would only be smashed if someone wanted to enter.

Storage yard: What does your contract with the storage yard say about security? Do they take any responsibility?

Attitude: Realize it is just a thing and your living family members are much more important and you will live if someone takes off with your possessions. I can understand it is very upsetting but ce la vie. Just make sure nothing irreplaceable is in the trailer and that your insurance is adequate and paid up.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 08:52 PM   #11

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Coupler locks of all sorts are way too easy to defeat by the thief just looping the safety chains around his hitch ball and driving off. I like the chain or cable through both wheels and looped around frame or axle once, which at least forces the thief to work, and it's portable.

I had my Scamp parked in a storage yard and someone stole the battery from the box on the tongue -- They had also started to remove my LP tank (disconnected regulator), but its bolts are hard to get to, so they gave up -- Yard had disclaimer and was responsible for nothing.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote