Trailer Alignment - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2009, 09:47 AM   #1

Trailer: Casita
I bought one of the Ball Alignment Kits at Harbor Freight because I've always wanted to try one and they are on sale now for $10. If you are interested, now's your chance.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/disp...temnumber=95684

I'll let you know how well it works.

Keith
Keith Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 10:10 AM   #2

Trailer: 1991 Scamp 16 ft
I have one and it's useful but I have a hard time placing it on the trailer end. I'd like it to be right on top of the ball receptacle but it's rounded so it doesn't stay on it well. Maybe I need to make an offset base.

1991 Scamp 16'
Bryan L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 10:23 AM   #3

Quote:
I have one and it's useful but I have a hard time placing it on the trailer end. I'd like it to be right on top of the ball receptacle but it's rounded so it doesn't stay on it well. Maybe I need to make an offset base.
I haven't been out to the trailer yet, to look at my situation, but I'll bet it's the same issue. The first thing that I'll do, if it is, is attach a small flat plate of steel to the top of the ball socket on the trailer, so the magnetic base will have a firm seat. Since I can't weld anymore, and I really wouldn't want to weld / heat the socket end up that much anyway, I'll just roughen both surfaces nicely and use my favorite "duct tape in a tube" (J B Weld) to stick the plate on. Since it has no structural funtion, the JB Weld should work just fine.

Thanks for the heads up.

EKW
Old 05-15-2009, 10:34 AM   #4

Quote:
I haven't been out to the trailer yet, to look at my situation, but I'll bet it's the same issue. The first thing that I'll do, if it is, is attach a small flat plate of steel to the top of the ball socket on the trailer, so the magnetic base will have a firm seat. [b] Since I can't weld anymore, and I really wouldn't want to weld / heat the socket end up that much anyway, I'll just roughen both surfaces nicely and use my favorite "duct tape in a tube" (J B Weld) to stick the plate on. Since it has no structural funtion, the JB Weld should work just fine.

Thanks for the heads up.

EKW
I've been a machinist and at one time I welded good enough to get a union millwright certificate. So I know what its like to "loose it".

I just ordered one... as a loner I need help getting lined up.

Thanks
ronsmith100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 11:11 AM   #5

Trailer: 2000 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Strange...but I bought one too at a somewhat local Harbor Freight store a little south or my city yesterday, for $9.99. Along beside it was a new sway bar, Haul Master,complete with all pieces and parts for $32.00 and I got it too, to replace my older but rusty sway bar that came with my used trailer. I was getting tired of getting in and out of the vehicle to hook it up and anything that will save me an entrance/exit or two is certainly worth that! I'll try it out soon...
John Hussey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 12:54 PM   #6

Quote:
I've been a machinist and at one time I welded good enough to get a union millwright certificate. So I know what its like to "loose it".

I just ordered one... as a loner I need help getting lined up.

Thanks
My problem is that I have a Defibrillator implanted and I can't be close to Magnetic Fields or it shuts the critter off. Can't even lean over a running car engine. So, I sold my Arc Welder since I couldn't use it.

Thanks,

EKW
Old 05-15-2009, 04:33 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
I bought one last year and used it several times, often by myself, at other times with my wife helping as well. That was with our Ford Ranger, I have used it a few times this year with the Ford F-150 with the same results, ei worked well. I place it on the "lip" of the trailer's hitch & behind the ball on the tow.
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 05:23 PM   #8

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft
I use two of these:

Click image for larger version

Name:	magnet.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	20279

They're easy to stow in the glove box and useful for other jobs. Plus they're cheaper.

I bought the 6# ones which are extreme overkill. Everytime I take them out of the glove box, half the crap in there comes out stuck to them.

Pat
Patrick Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 10:07 PM   #9

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Since buying a truck with a backup camera, I don't need it, or at least I shouldn't after I get use to the back up camera ( takes a little getting use to) but I may still pick one up as another target. But sure wish I had one with the old truck. Since Dh can't help so wellllllllllllll. I was forever jumping out and checking till I got it just right. Great find Keith
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 10:27 PM   #10

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
"Okay, about three feet back and way to the left."

Get back in car, reverse, stop. "Oh, maybe a bit farther back."
Back up towards hitch.

Get out of car and walk to back.

"Okay, 2 feet back and eight inches to the left"

Get back in car, reverse, stop. Consider backing a bit more. Reverse. Stop.

Get out of car and walk to back.

"Okay 9 inches back and three to the left"

Get back in car.....

Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 05:29 AM   #11

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I get some of my best exercise when hitching up... or trying to hitch up!. I've tried all sorts of helpful hints and tools, none have been all that great (for me). Next up to try is to build one of these: Mirror - in New Theory topic
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 10:30 PM   #12

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Ive used the Harbor Freight 'tennis balls' for some time. I put on under the latch on the trailer and the other on the hitch just behind the ball. I make sure that the trailer is raised above the ball and when the one on the truck is pushed back, stop, pull the parking break, and make only minor corrections to get it on the ball.

They work for me!
genebland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 07:43 PM   #13

Trailer: Tent
Quote:
I bought one of the Ball Alignment Kits at Harbor Freight because I've always wanted to try one and they are on sale now for $10. If you are interested, now's your chance.

Keith
I get the Harbor Freight email specials, yesterday the weekly coupons have these for $7.99.
Old 05-31-2009, 12:30 PM   #14

Quote:

Keith
I got mine and since it has a flat bottom it wont stay aligned on the round hitch casing.
Here is how I fixed that.
Used two nuts on each side and just squeezed them in until the tennis ball was straight up.
Attached Thumbnails
collage.jpg  
ronsmith100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 03:34 PM   #15

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr
I guess you can tell I am both cheap and old-school by the fact that I use a broom. I already have the broom anyway to sweep out the trailer and whatever.

When it's time to hook up I just lean the broom against the coupler on the driver's side. I then back up using the rearview mirror (the one on the windshield) and line up the center of the high-mounted center brake light with the broom handle (well, a little to the passenger's side because the broom is on the driver's side of the hitch) then back up until the broom is nudged.

That's it!

The ball is in the right place every time.
Dana T is offline   Reply With Quote