Trailer Epiphany - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-20-2007, 01:24 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
After "strenuously exerting" myself to bring her (my former fgrv) up to par (suffice to say I hate Home Depot and reading old magazines in auto repair shops), and coveting the idea of boondocking necessitating bathrooms and showers and holding tanks, and then breaking my catalytic heater in another upgrade step...I just sold it, bam, craigslist and people came out of the woodwork to buy my cute little rig. Now I must "strenuously exert" myself again to find the right replacement. It may weigh more, but the cost in gas won't nearly approach the cost and time involved in trying to take my former rig to a higher level...it should remain simple, it's what it was meant to be!
You know what perplexes me, I won't say a "number", but for what someone paid for my rig, that difference would cover a standard RV that weighed more but with far greater amenities AND it would cover a whole lot of gas for a whole long time.
Has anyone ever done that mental calculation? Heck, I don't want to drive around a big box of air or a quasi-house, but some of those nicer amenities are, well, pretty darn nice, and in a regular (non-cute-fiberglass RV) they don't cost as much! Granted, it's not as green, but also, not as frustrating.
Hmmm...
Janine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 01:34 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft 2006 / 2005 Honda Pilot
Registry
You pay for small!! I remember pricing conversion vans like RoadTrek (very small and cute) vs something a bit bigger like the Gulfstream BT Cruiser and the Cruiser was 1/2 the price!!!! and perhaps not quite as well made - but WOW the price difference was stunning!
Anne H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 01:38 PM   #3

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Quote:
for what someone paid for my rig, that difference would cover a standard RV that weighed more but with far greater amenities AND it would cover a whole lot of gas for a whole long time.
But you'd need a larger TV, not just more gas, and you'd have a lower resale value. You might need off-property storage as well.

Bobbie
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 01:48 PM   #4

Trailer: Quantum-5 5th Wheel 1980
Janine

There is no law that states that you must have a Fiberglass trailer. They are making some very nice lite weight units that have many more amenities. Camping is all about getting out there and enjoying yourself.
Along with the Quantum 5 that I am restoring, I also have a 35 Ft. diesel pusher (don't hate). Which one I take out depends on where I'm going to go and how long I,m going to stay. I feel that I have the best of both worlds.
The worst R V"s are the ones that don"t get used.

Ron
Ron Wrighton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 01:54 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Everyone is making thoughtful observations. It's a good thing we don't all require or want the same things... we'd all be squashed into a 13' (brand name here) trailer. If you find a sticky that has all the features you want, then go for it. You know the ramifications, but you only live once.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 02:01 PM   #6

When you're moving from 13' to 17' THAT'S HUGE! :-)
Quote:
But you'd need a larger TV, not just more gas, and you'd have a lower resale value. You might need off-property storage as well.

Bobbie
Old 09-20-2007, 03:42 PM   #7

I will admit that the price for some new FG rigs seem expensive.The stickies can be very nice and have it all.I have owned both.Being small to me is nice also resale value is great.Not many 30 year old stickies on the roads but lots of 30 year old FG units.The tow vehicale for FG units can be much smaller also.Gas prices will rise even further.Look to the future.At least in a FG unit you will still be able to travel.My sticky friends go only to local Camping ares.They say too expensive to travel with them any distance.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:25 PM   #8

(slow here) Sticky="stick built", ok duh
well, I'm "sticking" to FG, just with more stuff in it (the search is on <sigh>) At least given all the work I did on my former, I'll know how to test out the next one.
Quote:
I will admit that the price for some new FG rigs seem expensive.The stickies can be very nice and have it all.I have owned both.Being small to me is nice also resale value is great.Not many 30 year old stickies on the roads but lots of 30 year old FG units.The tow vehicale for FG units can be much smaller also.Gas prices will rise even further.Look to the future.At least in a FG unit you will still be able to travel.My sticky friends go only to local Camping ares.They say too expensive to travel with them any distance.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:04 PM   #9

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Quote:
(suffice to say I hate Home Depot and reading old magazines in auto repair shops)

Sacrilege......
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 12:11 PM   #10

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
(slow here) Sticky="stick built", ok duh
well, I'm "sticking" to FG, just with more stuff in it (the search is on <sigh>) At least given all the work I did on my former, I'll know how to test out the next one.
Let's see, I hate going to place that repair trailer and tow vehicles. I want a trailer with more stuff that will break and add more weight. Hmmmm.... <GRINZ>
Old 09-21-2007, 08:47 PM   #11

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
...I just sold it, bam, craigslist and people came out of the woodwork to buy my cute little rig.
Well, that part went well for you.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:12 PM   #12

Registry
Talking

Quote:
You know what perplexes me, ..., but for what someone paid for my rig, that difference would cover a standard RV that weighed more but with far greater amenities AND it would cover a whole lot of gas for a whole long time.
[b]Has anyone ever done that mental calculation? Heck, I don't want to drive around a big box of air or a quasi-house, but some of those nicer amenities are, well, pretty darn nice, and in a regular (non-cute-fiberglass RV) they don't cost as much!
Ya pays yer money, an ya takes yer choice.
There are other groupes out there, with other websites, who are into different flavors of Recreational Vehicles. It's all good. To some, a Shasta is "cute". I say, "Wonderfull!" Show me your mods. Share your camping stories. I almost bought one of those.

There's more to it than the money, for me. You really, really gotta like "cute", and I do. I happened to find my trailer when "the universe was in alignment" and my situation worked for me. Is it perfect? I must confess, no, not really. Is it perfect for me in this time and place? Yeah, sort of. That's enough.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:14 PM   #13

Quote:
Ya pays yer money, an ya takes yer choice.
There are other groupes out there, with other websites, who are into different flavors of Recreational Vehicles. It's all good. To some, a Shasta is "cute". I say, "Wonderfull!" Show me your mods. Share your camping stories. I almost bought one of those.

There's more to it than the money, for me. You really, really gotta like "cute", and I do. I happened to find my trailer when "the universe was in alignment" and my situation worked for me. Is it perfect? I must confess, no, not really. Is it perfect for me in this time and place? Yeah, sort of. That's enough.
Carefull Frederick---your confusing your self
Old 09-21-2007, 09:19 PM   #14

Registry
Talking

Quote:
Carefull Frederick---your confusing your self
Maybe I'm confusing others...
I'm just on a ZEN riff.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:23 PM   #15

Quote:
I'm just on a ZEN riff.
Too many big words for me
Old 09-21-2007, 09:29 PM   #16

Registry
Talking

Quote:
I'm just on a ZEN riff.
Quote:
The author demonstrates that the cycle maintenance [b](or bringing Fiberglass Travel Trailers "Up to Par") may be dull and tedious drudgery or an exciting and pleasureable pastime. It all depends on the inner attitude and peace of mind (or the lack of it).
This is the point I wanted to make to Janine.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:36 PM   #17

Quote:
This is the point I wanted to make to Janine.
Good---Iam glad that is clarified.
Old 09-22-2007, 11:47 PM   #18

Trailer: Boler 17 ft
Quote:
I happened to find my trailer when "the universe was in alignment" and my situation worked for me. Is it perfect? I must confess, no, not really. Is it perfect for me in this time and place? Yeah, sort of. That's enough.
Say, sir, that's what happened to me.

I had never once expressed an interest in trailer-camping (we had only tented or day-trip-canoed previously, and not that often) then suddenly I wanted an RV.

I toured a sweet used stick-bulit that was at least 22 feet long and full of 70s retro furnishings, and got our clever mechanic friend to have a look-see. Five grand.

He said, "That trailer is fine for five thousand, if you really want all that space. Here is the local Buy-and-Sell. Here is a '77 17' foot Boler advertised today for five thousand. It will not rust or leak. If you want it, you should call him now."

I said, "Yeah, okay, I'll call him tomorrow." he said, "It will be gone by tomorrow. If you want it, drive there now with a certified cheque."

The seller already had two offers, but I had a certified cheque, and we signed the papers on the spot and dragged it home the next morning.

It just so happened I had recently lost a job under highly unusual circumstances, but had negotiated a severance package for five grand.

It is my Severance Boler, and no, it is not perfect. Is it right for me and my family in this time and place? Yeah. That's enough.

Less work, more camping.
CharlynnT is offline   Reply With Quote