Trailer for three adults with more than 6 ft headroom - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2016, 05:55 PM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: Shopping
Georgia
Trailer for three adults with more than 6 ft headroom

This may be a silly question but I'm wondering about what trailers (new or used) would give me over 6 ft of head room and sleeping space for three adults. Three twin beds would be ideal. A full queen bed and one twin would be OK. A double bed and a twin... not so much. Any ideas? My wife and I would like to travel with an adult friend bug my wife indicates the trailer must have twins or a full queen for she and myself as well as a bathroom with shower. We're all 6 ft or more tall and I don't want to buy anything where we have to duck to be inside the trailer. I am thinking of towing with a Tacoma 4x4 or a Chevy Colorado diesel 4x4. The payload for both of these trucks makes available 5th wheels a little dicey (colorado better but still not much margin).
jrmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 06:10 PM   #2

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
www.lilsnoozy.com a dedicated queen bed and a "jackknife" sofa that folds down to a twin. 6 ft 6 inch interior height.
But LOOK IRL as well as cyber sleuth and reading. I was all gung ho for an R pod- right up until I saw my first interior IRL.
Old 04-19-2016, 06:18 PM   #3

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitzi Agnew-Giles View Post
www.lilsnoozy.com a dedicated queen bed and a "jackknife" sofa that folds down to a twin. 6 ft 6 inch interior height.
But LOOK IRL as well as cyber sleuth and reading. I was all gung ho for an R pod- right up until I saw my first interior IRL.
Thanks. Dont know what you mean by IRL. Snoozy is a good suggestion. Not big on the all electric concept though. The walls seem too flexible on that one too. I would be a little concerned about the walls separating from the interior ... maybe not a problem but something I've thought about.
Old 04-19-2016, 06:27 PM   #4

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
IRL_ in real life. Not sure what you mean about "walls separating?" It's basically 2 boat hulls, one upside down atop another is my understanding.
Old 04-19-2016, 06:41 PM   #5

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
An Escape 19' or 22' would do the trick.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 06:41 PM   #6

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitzi Agnew-Giles View Post
IRL_ in real life. Not sure what you mean about "walls separating?" It's basically 2 boat hulls, one upside down atop another is my understanding.
What I have read is that the stiff interior (wood and similar mounted inside) mounted inside the fiberglass hulls comes loose. I'm a design engineer with a good deal of education in composites like fiberglass and I'm not surprised about that alleged problem. Its not really a problem other than cosmetically since you end up with parts that separate a little. Whether or not this is real would take some research on my part.
Old 04-19-2016, 06:44 PM   #7

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
I like the escapes. Do either of those come in a 3 twin bed configuration? The queen and a twin would do but three twins would be outstanding!
Old 04-19-2016, 06:54 PM   #8

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmarsh View Post
What I have read is that the stiff interior (wood and similar mounted inside) mounted inside the fiberglass hulls comes loose. I'm a design engineer with a good deal of education in composites like fiberglass and I'm not surprised about that alleged problem. Its not really a problem other than cosmetically since you end up with parts that separate a little. Whether or not this is real would take some research on my part.
LOL where did you read that? Care to share the link to that?

The fact that many of us are running around with 25 year old plus fibreglass trailer with nothing failing down or coming loose suggests otherwise.

Yup those of use who have through hull rivets holding the cabinets to the walls do occasionally need to replace a rivet or two due to longterm stress fatigue but thats about the only issue I am aware of. On my 25 year old trailer over the past 8 years I have average since purchase about 1 broken rivet replacement ever 2 years - and that includes the one rivet that sits in a very high stress area being replaced twice. I have replaced others though simple due to the snap cap retaining ring having failed due to age/sun damage.

A number of the fibreglass trailer manufactures do fibreglass the cabinets in place (Escape being one of them) so again nothing coming loose.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 07:10 PM   #9

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
Trailer for three adults with more than 6 ft headroom

Quote:

I have a 2014 Lil Snoozy with 16000 miles on it.I haven't had any problems with anything coming loose. The Snoozy hull is much thicker and rigid than some of the other brands. The cabinets are fastened by bolts going through the hull under the belt line. I can see that over time there could be some minor flexing. I did see on here that one of the early models had a shower wall pull loose a little. I know several owners and none have mentioned any thing like this.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 07:23 PM   #10

Georgia
Quote:
LOL where did you read that? Care to share the link to that?

The fact that many of us are running around with 25 year old plus fibreglass trailer with nothing failing down or coming loose suggests otherwise.

Yup those of use who have through hull rivets holding the cabinets to the walls do occasionally need to replace a rivet or two due to longterm stress fatigue but thats about the only issue I am aware of. On my 25 year old trailer over the past 8 years I have average since purchase about 1 broken rivet replacement ever 2 years - and that includes the one rivet that sits in a very high stress area being replaced twice. I have replaced others though simple due to the snap cap retaining ring having failed due to age/sun damage.

A number of the fibreglass trailer manufactures do fibreglass the cabinets in place (Escape being one of them) so again nothing coming loose.
Actually I have advanced degrees in engineering with a specialty in composites (35 years of experience) and the first time I read about the construction of the snoozy I was concerned that it would be a problem. I read somewhere about the oak trim pulling away from the fiberglass. Its more a cosmetic problem than anything else but cosmetic issues matter to some people including me. As I said its an alleged problem for that trailer only but based on my education and experience it doesn't surprise me. Most fiberglass trailers are a shell with interior components hanging from the shell. The frame around the queen bed on the snoozy actually stiffens the shell. If the shell flexes (which it will) cracks in the filler (probably silicon) will open up. No real problem but it looks bad. I've never seen one. Theory and truth always differ. I'm only repeating what I've read. The snoozy in this regard is completely different than all the other fiberglass trailers.
Old 04-19-2016, 07:47 PM   #11

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlsara View Post
I have a 2014 Lil Snoozy with 16000 miles on it.I haven't had any problems with anything coming loose. The Snoozy hull is much thicker and rigid than some of the other brands. The cabinets are fastened by bolts going through the hull under the belt line. I can see that over time there could be some minor flexing. I did see on here that one of the early models had a shower wall pull loose a little. I know several owners and none have mentioned any thing like this.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
I'm not talking about loose like falling off or flopping around. I'm talking about loose like the the silicon seal bead put there for cosmetic purposes pulls away from the shell. Forget where I saw it and its not a big deal. It would just be a negative for me if it actually happens. The all electric aspect would be a much bigger issue for me. I'm not really interested in an all electric camper though. The little snoozy has some positive aspects that attract me. Not sold on it though at this point.
Old 04-19-2016, 07:49 PM   #12

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
Back to the question that was actually asked by the OP, The Oliver Elite II twin bed model will provide 3 separate beds for adults (the front dinette will have to be made down into a bed each night). All the Elite II's have 76" of head room.
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 07:55 PM   #13

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Outlaw View Post
Back to the question that was actually asked by the OP, The Oliver Elite II twin bed model will provide 3 separate beds for adults (the front dinette will have to be made down into a bed each night). All the Elite II's have 76" of head room.
That's a nice trailer. Do you have any idea what it costs? I cant find any cost information on their website. I live pretty close to the oliver factory but since their trailers are so nice I expect they may be out of my price range.
Old 04-19-2016, 07:58 PM   #14

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
19 or 21? The 19 has a full 80x60 queen, the 21 is 80x54 with a corner cut off. With either the dinette makes a very comfortable bed for one.

The Escape 5.0TA, which I am getting, would cover you good too, but you have recognized a common fault with a lot of pickups, it that they sometimes don't have adequate cargo capacity. With an approximate dry hitch weight of 600 lbs, you could likely get that up to 800 lbs depending on loading.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 08:12 PM   #15

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Parkliner is another option. The rear dinette bed is a 60"x80" queen, and the side dinette makes into a 24"x?? single. Not much separation between the beds, though. It has 6'5" of interior headroom and is equipped with a wet bath and full propane systems. There is a used one for sale right now, and the factory is restarting production of new ones under new ownership.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 08:21 PM   #16
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
What Jim Bennett said. The narrow double bed would disqualify the Escape 21, although the Escape 19 has a queen bed. Not sure of ceiling height in the 19, though. (It would be okay in the 21.)
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 09:32 PM   #17

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
That's a nice trailer. Do you have any idea what it costs? I cant find any cost information on their website. I live pretty close to the oliver factory but since their trailers are so nice I expect they may be out of my price range.

Was @ 40K but I understand it is now between 45K and 50K. Plus it is heavy. I would expect a Tacoma as a tow vehicle would seem a bit anemic.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 04-20-2016, 07:44 AM   #18

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
Was @ 40K but I understand it is now between 45K and 50K. Plus it is heavy. I would expect a Tacoma as a tow vehicle would seem a bit anemic.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Thats what I figured. The olivers are nice but they are way outside my budget.
Old 04-20-2016, 07:52 AM   #19

Georgia
For a trailer my preference is:

1st choice: 3 twin beds - there seem to be very few of these (if any) in trailers with > 6 ft headroom. I've been searching and haven't found any. Maybe one of the escapes could be configured that way. I've been looking and haven't found anything like that out there (both here and on the escape owners forum).

2nd choice 1 twin and a queen bed
What I don't like about this option is having to crawl over someone to get the the bathroom AND most have the twin right next to the queen - no separation.

The escape 5.0 TA would be great for my needs but the pin load pretty much requires a full size truck which I don't want to buy. The colorado/canyon would do it if willing to pay extreme attention to payload because it would be cutting it close with a passenger in every seat of the truck.
Old 04-20-2016, 08:50 AM   #20

Name: Dennis
Trailer: 16' Scamp
Georgia
Google: Parkliner. Take a good look at info on their web site. I think these trailers might meet your needs.
dkas is offline   Reply With Quote