Trailer for three adults with more than 6 ft headroom - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-28-2016, 06:33 PM   #43
Member
 
Name: John
Trailer: Shopping
Georgia
Posts: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
The only thing I can think of is a Parkliner with the main bed modified into two twins. I think that's pretty doable. The company might even agree to help. It might even inspire them to make that an option. The bunk bed is quite good for the third bed, the ceiling height is about 6'5" and the bathroom with shower option is as good as any. The only downside in the bathroom is the sink. If I were to buy another PL I wouldn't bother with the sink option. It's pretty non-functional and also makes the closet much less functional.

Walt
Thanks Walt. I know about Parkliners. I'm not interested in a Parkliner for a number of reasons I'd rather not go into here. I appreciate your input though.
__________________

__________________
jrmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 07:28 PM   #44
Sid
Senior Member
 
Sid's Avatar
 
Name: Sid
Trailer: Parkliner 2014 V6 Jeep Cherokee
Minnesota
Posts: 443
Registry
John,
If you want to "see" my Tom Bass edition Plarkliner please PM me if you have an iPhone and want a FaceTime tour. I would be happy to let you do a virtual inspection of our 2014 with about 22000 miles on it. Having never done this before I'm not sure if you could get a proper volumetric sense of the bed size or interior but I would be willing to give it a try.
Sid
__________________

__________________
Don't quit your daydream.
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 07:32 PM   #45
Sid
Senior Member
 
Sid's Avatar
 
Name: Sid
Trailer: Parkliner 2014 V6 Jeep Cherokee
Minnesota
Posts: 443
Registry
Oops John I just saw your last post.
Sorry to Emily Litella you.....never mind
Sid
__________________
Don't quit your daydream.
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 07:46 PM   #46
Member
 
Name: John
Trailer: Shopping
Georgia
Posts: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid View Post
Oops John I just saw your last post.
Sorry to Emily Litella you.....never mind
Sid
Thanks for offering to be so helpful. I appreciate it.
__________________
jrmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 10:08 PM   #47
Senior Member
 
Name: None
Trailer: None
None
Posts: 2,730
Just a thought . A Casita Liberty has 2 twin beds. That would work when you and the wife go camping alone . When her girlfriend tags along , you could sleep in a tent and the girls could use the Twin beds. When we go camping with our grandkids , my wife and the grandkids sleep in the trailer and I sleep in a small dome tent.
That way I can get some sleep , my wife not so much.
__________________
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 06:13 AM   #48
Member
 
Name: John
Trailer: Shopping
Georgia
Posts: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Just a thought . A Casita Liberty has 2 twin beds. That would work when you and the wife go camping alone . When her girlfriend tags along , you could sleep in a tent and the girls could use the Twin beds. When we go camping with our grandkids , my wife and the grandkids sleep in the trailer and I sleep in a small dome tent.
That way I can get some sleep , my wife not so much.
Thanks, that's a good idea that I hadn't considered. We're interested in the trailer to do long road trips though, not weekend 3 or 4 day trips to the local state parks. I'd rather not sleep in a tent for weeks at a time. Although, I actually have done it. I lived in a tent for several months when I worked at Scout camp back in the 70's.
__________________
jrmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 08:58 AM   #49
Senior Member
 
Jon in AZ's Avatar
 
Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Posts: 5,558
Registry
John, building on Steve's suggestion, if I were traveling with an adult who was not my spouse, I too would not just want separate beds, but separate bedrooms. Another way to achieve that (besides a tent) is with the tow vehicle.

Have you considered a full-size van with a fold-out bed, or a pick-up truck with a topper or small slide-in? Pull the Casita Liberty behind. You'd have to watch things like GCWR and GAWR very carefully, but I think it might be possible. Around here lots of folks on the rodeo circuit have small slide ins on trucks pulling horse trailers.

If you like the Liberty, you might also want to take a look at the Casita Independence model. It has 30" wide true twins rather than the narrow (24-26"?) benches in the Liberty.
__________________
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 10:45 AM   #50
Member
 
Name: John
Trailer: Shopping
Georgia
Posts: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
John, building on Steve's suggestion, if I were traveling with an adult who was not my spouse, I too would not just want separate beds, but separate bedrooms. Another way to achieve that (besides a tent) is with the tow vehicle.

Have you considered a full-size van with a fold-out bed, or a pick-up truck with a topper or small slide-in? Pull the Casita Liberty behind. You'd have to watch things like GCWR and GAWR very carefully, but I think it might be possible. Around here lots of folks on the rodeo circuit have small slide ins on trucks pulling horse trailers.

If you like the Liberty, you might also want to take a look at the Casita Independence model. It has 30" wide true twins rather than the narrow (24-26"?) benches in the Liberty.
Thanks, I thought of that. Not for me.
__________________
jrmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 10:58 AM   #51
Senior Member
 
Name: None
Trailer: None
None
Posts: 2,730
John , I think you would have to admit that the source of your dilemma has more to do with your desire to camp with 3 non related adults in a single trailer than the short comings of any trailer manufacturer's design .Yours is an unusual situation and most things are built for the norm . I am not trying to be critical of you or your desires but most trailers are built for singles ,couples or a family with children. Having a custom trailer built to satisfy your particular needs may be extremely expensive and would probably
not have much appeal to a future buyer. IMHO
__________________
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 12:12 PM   #52
Member
 
Name: John
Trailer: Shopping
Georgia
Posts: 70
[QUOTE=steve dunham;[/QUOTE]

Yes, exactly. I have special circumstances.

The point of my question was to see if I had missed any possibilities. It seems that I was already aware of all my options before I posted this. ... Thanks, folks.
__________________
jrmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 12:45 PM   #53
Moderator
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Posts: 4,724
Registry
How about the Happier Camper? You can make the interior into one big bed if you like.

__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA (January 26)
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 01:15 PM   #54
Senior Member
 
Civilguy's Avatar
 
Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Posts: 653
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmarsh View Post
Yes, exactly. I have special circumstances.

The point of my question was to see if I had missed any possibilities. It seems that I was already aware of all my options before I posted this. ... Thanks, folks.
John,

It's near-heresy on this site as everyone loves their molded eggs, but I have been known to look at the dark side; non molded-fiberglass RVs. I posted my take on several brands here:

Palomini Fiberglass camper

Don't breath a word to anyone on this site, but the Mrs. and I are rather taken with the Lance 1475. This model is not a good choice for your parameters, but the little swivel chairs are amazingly comfortable. We are currently working up a plan for how to improve or convert the chairs in our Casita.

A big advantage, as I anticipate you understand, is the relative water-tight integrity of the molded fiberglass bodies. I don't know that we will ever consummate a relationship with the Lance or any non-FGRV. But, I do have my dalliances of "just looking" as more conventional square-cornered RVs usually have higher ceilings and generally feel more spacious.

RV construction methods have been rapidly evolving, (you might want to watch the 20-minute video on the Lance site), but haven't been really proved out. Delamination is a significant concern. In my case, I don't see much opportunity to putter and add anything to these types of trailers; the construction including wiring and whatnot is all sealed within bonded walls and ceiling panels. I am not sure I could be happy with a trailer I couldn't readily modify to taste.

My other council would be to try something. Anything. Rent a trailer or a motorhome. Buy a cheap old used trailer. Find out what really works and what doesn't. There is an old adage that says to buy your third RV first.

Anyway, now they're going to toss me out of the forum. I better go.

Regards,
Mike
__________________
- "Character is what you do when nobody’s looking." -
Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 02:33 PM   #55
Member
 
Name: John
Trailer: Shopping
Georgia
Posts: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
How about the Happier Camper? You can make the interior into one big bed if you like.

I saw that one a few weeks ago. It might work for a young family with a bunch of small children. Anyhow, thanks. I do a lot of internet surfing. Based on what I've learned from the responses to this thread is that I probably already knew about all (or most) of the currently available options.
__________________
jrmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 02:56 PM   #56
Member
 
Name: John
Trailer: Shopping
Georgia
Posts: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
John,

It's near-heresy on this site as everyone loves their molded eggs, but I have been known to look at the dark side; non molded-fiberglass RVs. I posted my take on several brands here:

Palomini Fiberglass camper

Don't breath a word to anyone on this site, but the Mrs. and I are rather taken with the Lance 1475. This model is not a good choice for your parameters, but the little swivel chairs are amazingly comfortable. We are currently working up a plan for how to improve or convert the chairs in our Casita.

A big advantage, as I anticipate you understand, is the relative water-tight integrity of the molded fiberglass bodies. I don't know that we will ever consummate a relationship with the Lance or any non-FGRV. But, I do have my dalliances of "just looking" as more conventional square-cornered RVs usually have higher ceilings and generally feel more spacious.

RV construction methods have been rapidly evolving, (you might want to watch the 20-minute video on the Lance site), but haven't been really proved out. Delamination is a significant concern. In my case, I don't see much opportunity to putter and add anything to these types of trailers; the construction including wiring and whatnot is all sealed within bonded walls and ceiling panels. I am not sure I could be happy with a trailer I couldn't readily modify to taste.

My other council would be to try something. Anything. Rent a trailer or a motorhome. Buy a cheap old used trailer. Find out what really works and what doesn't. There is an old adage that says to buy your third RV first.

Anyway, now they're going to toss me out of the forum. I better go.

Regards,
Mike
Thanks, I started branching out a little looking at other types of trailers last night. Most of the stick builts are heavy or if they're intentionally built to be light I'm sure they have torsional rigidity issues. Racking will eventually break all the seals and you'll end up with leaks.

The concept of a fiberglass shell is sound. They are light, don't have big issues with leaks and racking, they last forever and look pretty good for the wear even decades later.

The easy solution to my issue is to just focus on a trailer for my wife and myself since there are plenty of those that would be great. But, since we have an unmarried daughter who still lives with us and she camps and backpacks I thought trying to accommodate three adults would be a worthwhile goal.

Its harder than I thought it would be. I can find something that works but not what I wanted (the escape 19 works and I can probably easily tow it with a midsized truck). Or I can go with the escape 5th wheel and buy a full sized truck to pull it. I didn't want a full sized truck....too big to negotiate around in bumper to bumper Atlanta traffic every day. Or I could skip the third adult and leave my daughter (or wife's friend) at home and buy just about anything and tow it with just about anything... but that wasn't the point of the thread because I already knew that.
__________________

__________________
jrmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need more headroom? Francesca Knowles Modifications, Alterations and Updates 2 03-08-2013 05:12 PM
Wanted: fiberglass trailer that sleeps 6 adults BCDave Wanted: Molded Fiberglass Travel Trailers 21 06-01-2011 01:55 PM
Amerigo Headroom and bed size Dana T Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers 1 04-07-2009 05:35 PM
Three way LP three burner/grill bonnie w Modifications, Alterations and Updates 2 07-02-2007 05:45 PM
Sleeping Room For Three Adults? Cathy P. General Chat 8 02-15-2007 02:01 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.