Trailer for three adults with more than 6 ft headroom - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2016, 05:31 AM   #61

Name: RandyB
Trailer: The BIG "O"
New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
I have mused with ordering a high-end V-nose cargo trailer and outfitting it myself if I make my planned retirement party in a couple of years. I would have to become convinced that I could actually get a well-sealed trailer to begin from, but haven't made those investigations yet.
That was my thought a few years ago, I did extensive research for everyone I could find that custom builds them, to save you some time my research concluded a small shop in New Hampshire, ProLine Trailers, they are what I would consider the Oliver of of this type of trailer, although their prices are much more reasonable.

If you ever get to that point, I hope this helps.

Here is an example of what you can do as a reference, complete with a single layer CAD drawing, which at one point I actually manually extracted the layers, pay attention to the fresh water tank size if you do.

Custom Cargo Trailer

Good luck if you get there
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 01:49 PM   #62

Name: John
Trailer: Shopping
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyNH View Post
That was my thought a few years ago, I did extensive research for everyone I could find that custom builds them, to save you some time my research concluded a small shop in New Hampshire, ProLine Trailers, they are what I would consider the Oliver of of this type of trailer, although their prices are much more reasonable.

If you ever get to that point, I hope this helps.

Here is an example of what you can do as a reference, complete with a single layer CAD drawing, which at one point I actually manually extracted the layers, pay attention to the fresh water tank size if you do.

Custom Cargo Trailer

Good luck if you get there

The 80 square ft homebuilt trailer is awesome. I saw that the other day and was impressed by the space utilization and quality.
jrmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 07:13 PM   #63

Name: RandyB
Trailer: The BIG "O"
New Hampshire
So, one of my other thoughts, sticking with the custom theme, you mention camping and dome tents, and I love my Staika, but for real sleeping comfort, hammock camping is the best. So how about a custom trailer with full use of the interior and the only thing you need to assemble for the night is connecting to the eyehooks, no more dinette breakdown. This way you can maximize all other uses and just sleep above it all at night.
I just need some of you engineer types to explain how strong my walls need to be to support the load.
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 07:27 PM   #64

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Hammock? Am I the only one who can't figure out how anyone can sleep in such an uncomfortable position?

Walt
Old 04-30-2016, 07:37 PM   #65

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I know I couldn't sleep in a hammock... back surgery and all prevent that. But other's may be just fine.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 08:48 PM   #66

Georgia
Quote:
So, one of my other thoughts, sticking with the custom theme, you mention camping and dome tents, and I love my Staika, but for real sleeping comfort, hammock camping is the best. So how about a custom trailer with full use of the interior and the only thing you need to assemble for the night is connecting to the eyehooks, no more dinette breakdown. This way you can maximize all other uses and just sleep above it all at night.
I just need some of you engineer types to explain how strong my walls need to be to support the load.
I am a hammock camper when I backpack and an engineer who used to design structures for a living. The forces exerted by the straps holding up a hammock are very large and they depend on how much you weigh. (Think 100s of pounds on each end). I don't think the wall of a fiberglass trailer is capable of withstanding that load unless it was designed for that to begin with.
Old 04-30-2016, 09:33 PM   #67

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
Hammock? Am I the only one who can't figure out how anyone can sleep in such an uncomfortable position?

Walt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I know I couldn't sleep in a hammock... back surgery and all prevent that. But other's may be just fine.
I know a few people that do that, and swear by it, and one guy has terrible back troubles and has had surgery. He says it is the best sleep he gets. He is now about 63 and still using it when canoeing.

I have not tried sleeping in one, though would like to give it a try some time.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 09:36 PM   #68

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I sleep on my stomach.
Old 05-01-2016, 06:44 AM   #69

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I know a few people that do that, and swear by it, and one guy has terrible back troubles and has had surgery. He says it is the best sleep he gets. He is now about 63 and still using it when canoeing.
There's a number of chairs used for camping that I can't sit in, but I can sleep on a brick. I suppose it would depend on where the surgery was performed on the spine, mine was L2-4 which is the lumbar region. I need to keep that portion of my spine straight, otherwise it feels like someone is jamming a hot poker into my back. I'd probably sleep better on the picnic table than a hammock.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 06:50 AM   #70

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post

I have not tried sleeping in one, though would like to give it a try some time.
I know of a bunch of people who have had back problems who swear by sleeping in a hammock. The trick is doing it right. If you lay down in a hammock and orient yourself along the axis its uncomfortable since you take the shape of a banana. If you lie down on a diagonal (bias) at about 20 degrees (varies with the hammock) off the hammock axis you will find the hammock sweet spot. In this orientation, the hammock has a completely flat lay. Most stomach sleepers don't like hammocks, though. A backpacking hammock weighs about a pound, sets up in 5 minutes and makes a great place to take a nap or they can even be used as a comfortable seat. Inside a trailer the forces are almost certainly too high to resist with a fiberglass wall panel.
Old 05-01-2016, 08:39 AM   #71

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Here is an example of what you can do as a reference

Custom Cargo Trailer
Randy, that's a beauty for sure. Thanks for posting it.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote