Trailer for three adults with more than 6 ft headroom - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-19-2016, 06:55 PM   #1
Member
 
Name: John
Trailer: Shopping
Georgia
Posts: 70
Trailer for three adults with more than 6 ft headroom

This may be a silly question but I'm wondering about what trailers (new or used) would give me over 6 ft of head room and sleeping space for three adults. Three twin beds would be ideal. A full queen bed and one twin would be OK. A double bed and a twin... not so much. Any ideas? My wife and I would like to travel with an adult friend bug my wife indicates the trailer must have twins or a full queen for she and myself as well as a bathroom with shower. We're all 6 ft or more tall and I don't want to buy anything where we have to duck to be inside the trailer. I am thinking of towing with a Tacoma 4x4 or a Chevy Colorado diesel 4x4. The payload for both of these trucks makes available 5th wheels a little dicey (colorado better but still not much margin).
__________________

__________________
jrmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 07:10 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
Posts: 406
www.lilsnoozy.com a dedicated queen bed and a "jackknife" sofa that folds down to a twin. 6 ft 6 inch interior height.
But LOOK IRL as well as cyber sleuth and reading. I was all gung ho for an R pod- right up until I saw my first interior IRL.
__________________

__________________
That's my job. I read...and I know things
Mitzi Agnew-Giles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 07:18 PM   #3
Member
 
Name: John
Trailer: Shopping
Georgia
Posts: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitzi Agnew-Giles View Post
www.lilsnoozy.com a dedicated queen bed and a "jackknife" sofa that folds down to a twin. 6 ft 6 inch interior height.
But LOOK IRL as well as cyber sleuth and reading. I was all gung ho for an R pod- right up until I saw my first interior IRL.
Thanks. Dont know what you mean by IRL. Snoozy is a good suggestion. Not big on the all electric concept though. The walls seem too flexible on that one too. I would be a little concerned about the walls separating from the interior ... maybe not a problem but something I've thought about.
__________________
jrmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 07:27 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
Posts: 406
IRL_ in real life. Not sure what you mean about "walls separating?" It's basically 2 boat hulls, one upside down atop another is my understanding.
__________________
That's my job. I read...and I know things
Mitzi Agnew-Giles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 07:41 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Carol H's Avatar
 
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Posts: 11,731
Registry
An Escape 19' or 22' would do the trick.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 07:41 PM   #6
Member
 
Name: John
Trailer: Shopping
Georgia
Posts: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitzi Agnew-Giles View Post
IRL_ in real life. Not sure what you mean about "walls separating?" It's basically 2 boat hulls, one upside down atop another is my understanding.
What I have read is that the stiff interior (wood and similar mounted inside) mounted inside the fiberglass hulls comes loose. I'm a design engineer with a good deal of education in composites like fiberglass and I'm not surprised about that alleged problem. Its not really a problem other than cosmetically since you end up with parts that separate a little. Whether or not this is real would take some research on my part.
__________________
jrmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 07:44 PM   #7
Member
 
Name: John
Trailer: Shopping
Georgia
Posts: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
An Escape 19' or 22' would do the trick.
I like the escapes. Do either of those come in a 3 twin bed configuration? The queen and a twin would do but three twins would be outstanding!
__________________
jrmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 07:54 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Carol H's Avatar
 
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Posts: 11,731
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmarsh View Post
What I have read is that the stiff interior (wood and similar mounted inside) mounted inside the fiberglass hulls comes loose. I'm a design engineer with a good deal of education in composites like fiberglass and I'm not surprised about that alleged problem. Its not really a problem other than cosmetically since you end up with parts that separate a little. Whether or not this is real would take some research on my part.
LOL where did you read that? Care to share the link to that?

The fact that many of us are running around with 25 year old plus fibreglass trailer with nothing failing down or coming loose suggests otherwise.

Yup those of use who have through hull rivets holding the cabinets to the walls do occasionally need to replace a rivet or two due to longterm stress fatigue but thats about the only issue I am aware of. On my 25 year old trailer over the past 8 years I have average since purchase about 1 broken rivet replacement ever 2 years - and that includes the one rivet that sits in a very high stress area being replaced twice. I have replaced others though simple due to the snap cap retaining ring having failed due to age/sun damage.

A number of the fibreglass trailer manufactures do fibreglass the cabinets in place (Escape being one of them) so again nothing coming loose.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 08:10 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
charlsara's Avatar
 
Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Posts: 446
Registry
Trailer for three adults with more than 6 ft headroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmarsh View Post
What I have read is that the stiff interior (wood and similar mounted inside) mounted inside the fiberglass hulls comes loose. I'm a design engineer with a good deal of education in composites like fiberglass and I'm not surprised about that alleged problem. Its not really a problem other than cosmetically since you end up with parts that separate a little. Whether or not this is real would take some research on my part.

I have a 2014 Lil Snoozy with 16000 miles on it.I haven't had any problems with anything coming loose. The Snoozy hull is much thicker and rigid than some of the other brands. The cabinets are fastened by bolts going through the hull under the belt line. I can see that over time there could be some minor flexing. I did see on here that one of the early models had a shower wall pull loose a little. I know several owners and none have mentioned any thing like this.


Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
__________________
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 08:23 PM   #10
Member
 
Name: John
Trailer: Shopping
Georgia
Posts: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
LOL where did you read that? Care to share the link to that?

The fact that many of us are running around with 25 year old plus fibreglass trailer with nothing failing down or coming loose suggests otherwise.

Yup those of use who have through hull rivets holding the cabinets to the walls do occasionally need to replace a rivet or two due to longterm stress fatigue but thats about the only issue I am aware of. On my 25 year old trailer over the past 8 years I have average since purchase about 1 broken rivet replacement ever 2 years - and that includes the one rivet that sits in a very high stress area being replaced twice. I have replaced others though simple due to the snap cap retaining ring having failed due to age/sun damage.

A number of the fibreglass trailer manufactures do fibreglass the cabinets in place (Escape being one of them) so again nothing coming loose.
Actually I have advanced degrees in engineering with a specialty in composites (35 years of experience) and the first time I read about the construction of the snoozy I was concerned that it would be a problem. I read somewhere about the oak trim pulling away from the fiberglass. Its more a cosmetic problem than anything else but cosmetic issues matter to some people including me. As I said its an alleged problem for that trailer only but based on my education and experience it doesn't surprise me. Most fiberglass trailers are a shell with interior components hanging from the shell. The frame around the queen bed on the snoozy actually stiffens the shell. If the shell flexes (which it will) cracks in the filler (probably silicon) will open up. No real problem but it looks bad. I've never seen one. Theory and truth always differ. I'm only repeating what I've read. The snoozy in this regard is completely different than all the other fiberglass trailers.
__________________
jrmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 08:47 PM   #11
Member
 
Name: John
Trailer: Shopping
Georgia
Posts: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlsara View Post
I have a 2014 Lil Snoozy with 16000 miles on it.I haven't had any problems with anything coming loose. The Snoozy hull is much thicker and rigid than some of the other brands. The cabinets are fastened by bolts going through the hull under the belt line. I can see that over time there could be some minor flexing. I did see on here that one of the early models had a shower wall pull loose a little. I know several owners and none have mentioned any thing like this.


Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
I'm not talking about loose like falling off or flopping around. I'm talking about loose like the the silicon seal bead put there for cosmetic purposes pulls away from the shell. Forget where I saw it and its not a big deal. It would just be a negative for me if it actually happens. The all electric aspect would be a much bigger issue for me. I'm not really interested in an all electric camper though. The little snoozy has some positive aspects that attract me. Not sold on it though at this point.
__________________
jrmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 08:49 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Steve Outlaw's Avatar
 
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II
Mississippi
Posts: 502
Registry
Back to the question that was actually asked by the OP, The Oliver Elite II twin bed model will provide 3 separate beds for adults (the front dinette will have to be made down into a bed each night). All the Elite II's have 76" of head room.
__________________
Steve and Tali - Dogs: Reacher and Lucy and our beloved Storm and Maggie (waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)
2008 Outlaw Oliver Legacy Elite & 2014 Outlaw Oliver Legacy Elite II
2017 Silverado High Country 2500HD Diesel 4x4
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 08:55 PM   #13
Member
 
Name: John
Trailer: Shopping
Georgia
Posts: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Outlaw View Post
Back to the question that was actually asked by the OP, The Oliver Elite II twin bed model will provide 3 separate beds for adults (the front dinette will have to be made down into a bed each night). All the Elite II's have 76" of head room.
That's a nice trailer. Do you have any idea what it costs? I cant find any cost information on their website. I live pretty close to the oliver factory but since their trailers are so nice I expect they may be out of my price range.
__________________
jrmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 08:58 PM   #14
Moderator
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Posts: 4,728
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
An Escape 19' or 22' would do the trick.
19 or 21? The 19 has a full 80x60 queen, the 21 is 80x54 with a corner cut off. With either the dinette makes a very comfortable bed for one.

The Escape 5.0TA, which I am getting, would cover you good too, but you have recognized a common fault with a lot of pickups, it that they sometimes don't have adequate cargo capacity. With an approximate dry hitch weight of 600 lbs, you could likely get that up to 800 lbs depending on loading.
__________________

__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA (January 26)
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need more headroom? Francesca Knowles Modifications, Alterations and Updates 2 03-08-2013 05:12 PM
Wanted: fiberglass trailer that sleeps 6 adults BCDave Wanted: Molded Fiberglass Travel Trailers 21 06-01-2011 01:55 PM
Amerigo Headroom and bed size Dana T Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers 1 04-07-2009 05:35 PM
Three way LP three burner/grill bonnie w Modifications, Alterations and Updates 2 07-02-2007 05:45 PM
Sleeping Room For Three Adults? Cathy P. General Chat 8 02-15-2007 02:01 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.