Trailer kits? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2011, 11:37 AM   #1

Name: David
Trailer: 16 foot Scamp
Arizona
Trailer kits?

I'm not in the know about this stuff like some of you, so I thought I'd ask. Do any of the manufacturers offer kits anymore? I know Burro used to, and maybe others. I'm not aware of anyone doing that now. Perhaps a private deal could be struck for a rolling shell. Has anyone tried?

I'm just curious about possibilities. Endlessly modifying things that were never intended as we want them is such a struggle. So many limitations come built in. It takes a lot of effort to make changes that don't look like a patchwork. My strategy in the past has been to buy fixer-uppers, gut them and start over; but then at the end you look at the hours and reciepts . This time I bought new (custom) and I'm still working on almost every aspect to make it right for me. I find wasted potential everywhere. I have a 16, but I could be just as comfortable in a 13 if it were conceived with my specific needs in mind.

David
DavidSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 11:44 AM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSo View Post
I'm not in the know about this stuff like some of you, so I thought I'd ask. Do any of the manufacturers offer kits anymore? I know Burro used to, and maybe others. I'm not aware of anyone doing that now. Perhaps a private deal could be struck for a rolling shell. Has anyone tried?

I'm just curious about possibilities. Endlessly modifying things that were never intended as we want them is such a struggle. So many limitations come built in. It takes a lot of effort to make changes that don't look like a patchwork. My strategy in the past has been to buy fixer-uppers, gut them and start over; but then at the end you look at the hours and reciepts . This time I bought new (custom) and I'm still working on almost every aspect to make it right for me. I find wasted potential everywhere. I have a 16, but I could be just as comfortable in a 13 if it were conceived with my specific needs in mind.

David
I have approached Scamp about a rolling shell. They would build one for me, but I didn't think it was economically practical, so back to refitting older trailers.
Just for grins here is a photo of the kit which they offered over a generation ago....
Attached Thumbnails
mp0058.jpg  
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 02:07 PM   #3

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 2001
Scamp rolling shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSo View Post
David,
Our 13' Scamp was purchased by the PO as an empty shell from Backus in 2001. He customized the interior to his own functional requirements. Unfortunately, the PO passed away after he installed the basic layout and cabinetry but before his reno was totally completed. When we bought it from the widow in 2009, she was able to give us few details as to the intended finished product.

We are currently working on making it functional for us. We have camped at State Parks with hook-ups and also boondocking. Every camping trip, we add to the to-do list of mods, must-haves and nice-to-haves.

Note to all of you trolling Craig's List for a FGRV for sale, here's a tip for searching ads, broaden your search words. I found our Scamp on CL listed in the description as a "pull-behind trailer", no mention in the title of "fiberglass" or "Scamp"! Thankfully, for positive i.d., the pics showed the "Scamp" logos. Travelled 900 mile round-trip to buy it.

Deb
Deb&Sam D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 03:06 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Egg shells

Dave
The Egg Camper could be bought in a kit form when they first opened up. Someone on this site bought one and finished it out. Egg also made propane equipped campers when they started out. They also make a large teardrop camper which at one time could be bought stripped down to basics. You could always call and see if they offer a stripped egg. LIGHTWEIGHT FIBERGLASS TRAVEL TRAILER
I also think the Lil Snoozy was advertised at first in a stripped down model for cargo or bike hauling.
Eddie
Egg Kit Build. http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...out-32927.html
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:10 PM   #5

Arizona
Thanks for the pictures, stories, and info everyone! I can see some possible reasons why the companies might shy from this. Some people would need a lot of hand holding, and some just might not be able to assess their own abilities prior to the sale. Then what? Even a well made kit would require a good bit of fitting and experience to finish well. Nobody would be happy with spending the money and failing, no matter how many disclaimeers they signed. On the other hand, labor in the US is expensive. A lot of man hours goes into finishing these things. That kit that Floyd showed quoated 60 hours, but honestly, first time through for me would be twice that easily. I'm an experienced fabricator too. The average Joe with some tool experience would be 240 hours. Still, there are kits for cars, planes, boats, and all kinds of things. There are even magazines dedicated to kit cars and kit planes.

I would love to be able to start from a clean uncut shell and design the whole mess myself.

David
Old 11-16-2011, 06:19 AM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Prior to the hack in Nov. 2005 we had a topic by Dan Landt "Blank Slate." He had purchased a 16' Scamp from someone who made the original purchase from Scamp. The trailer was completely blank. No windows, no interior. Just an egress vent in the top and a closet across from the door (need something to keep the roof up!). The original purchaser used the trailer on a construction site and used it for day sleeping. That's the reason for no windows and didn't need a kitchen. It didn't come as a kit. Dan proceeded to build the inside for his needs and put the windows where he wanted. Unfortunately, all the pictures and the topic are now just a memory for those of us that followed it.

I don't know if Scamp would still sell a trailer like this.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 10:03 AM   #7

Arizona
daydreaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Prior to the hack in Nov. 2005 we had a topic by Dan Landt "Blank Slate." He had purchased a 16' Scamp from someone who made the original purchase from Scamp. The trailer was completely blank. No windows, no interior. Just an egress vent in the top and a closet across from the door (need something to keep the roof up!). The original purchaser used the trailer on a construction site and used it for day sleeping. That's the reason for no windows and didn't need a kitchen. It didn't come as a kit. Dan proceeded to build the inside for his needs and put the windows where he wanted. Unfortunately, all the pictures and the topic are now just a memory for those of us that followed it.

I don't know if Scamp would still sell a trailer like this.
Donna,
As long as we have you nothing is truly lost . In reading around I did get the idea that there was an extinction event some time in the past. What a senseless waste.

Yeah, I would like a blank shell with a few select parts supplied with it. I would source Scamp for most of the stuff, but much of the interior I would probably build myself. One constraint that comes with any new or used trailer that is very difficult to work around is windows. I would not cut in windows until everything inside had been defined. Once a window is there, the possibilities for that wall space are limited. My guess is that, properly approached, Scamp would probably come through. They would be my first option out of product loyalty and quality.

Of course, all of this is winter daydreaming. I am in no position to take on such a project right now, but perhaps someday I will. It's a process and a result that I would dearly enjoy.

David