Trailer Life: Nest Walk-through - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-12-2018, 02:03 PM   #1
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Trailer Life: Nest Walk-through

Article in the October 2018 issue of Trailer Life: RV Walkthrough - Nested Interest.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 04:06 PM   #2

Name: J
Isle of Wight
...with a claimed interior height of 6'6"!....
WizWid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 04:08 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
It appears that after dinner you get to wash the dishes and then make the bed. Really make the bed, out of the table.
Old 10-12-2018, 04:47 PM   #4

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Have they worked out the issues with the shell cracks? The earlier ones I saw looked pretty bad.
Old 10-12-2018, 10:11 PM   #5
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
Have they worked out the issues with the shell cracks? The earlier ones I saw looked pretty bad.

The Trailer Life article neglected to address that feature.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 10:54 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Looking at the floor plan, it appears that anybody entering the trailer at the rear door has to squeeze past the cook and bottle washer to get to the dinette. When invited for dinner in my buddy's 19', we come in the door and the dinette is to our immediate right. The galley is in the middle of the trailer and the bed at the far end. No need to interrupt the chef.
Nest layout would drive me nuts.
Old 10-13-2018, 07:57 AM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Don't worry Glenn, with this comment you will NEVER be invited for dinner in a Nest!
Carl V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 01:50 PM   #8

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
This is a tough crowd.

That reviewer is a bit tough. Only two floorplans? Do they expect six?

I like the Nest and have toured one. I don't mind the rear door. It could allow a bike or kayak inside.

But if I had the budget for a Nest, I'd have probably already been to either Rice, TX or Chilliwack, BC, and taken care of business. Maybe twice in Rice.

I hope the Nest is a big success.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 03:45 AM   #9

Name: John
Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Texas
The fiberglass travel trailer market in that size trailer is in the $20,000 range, I don't think a trailer like the Nest is going to do very well because of price. Looks like it was designed and built for the 25-40 year old's with money to burn and first time buyers and no kids. I was at a State Park last month and there was an example of the Nest Camper with there new Land Rover, looked to me like a $100,000 rig. I have to admit they were a nice young couple and had the designer clothes to go with the tow vehicle and camper. Is this the future of camping, I hope not.

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 07:31 AM   #10

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
People are still people under the clothes, cars, and campers. I have found camping and campgrounds great equalizers of people. Where else can a $500K motorhome coexist next to a $50 Walmart tent?

That's not just the future of camping. It's the present and the past.

But I suppose we all have a tendency to draw the line of wretched excess just a little north of ourselves.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 07:59 AM   #11

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Most people seem to draw the line of wretched excess just a little north of themselves.
This certainly seems to be true with most folks. If people have put in the effort to earn the money to afford more, they certainly should have the right to do so if they wish. After all, you can't take it with you. I know a few of these folks, great people with big motorhomes. I also know many who have trailers smaller than mine who's focus is going camping, not what they do it in.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 08:27 AM   #12

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
"The fiberglass travel trailer market in that size trailer is in the $20,000 range, I don't think a trailer like the Nest is going to do very well because of price."

I think the target market for this trailer is NOT the traditional FG trailer market, but instead, the Airstream market. Airstreams enjoy a sizable premium price over other trailers, and I think their fiberglass model will also enjoy the premium.

Certainly a knowledgable buyer on a limited budget is going to buy something else. But I think Airstream will do well with this trailer, and I would expect the "Nest" product line to expand in the years ahead.

Would I buy one? No. But I'm not their target customer. I wouldn't buy a Land Rover either.

+10 Some retirees are enjoying their savings. I met a retired couple with a $500K motorhome recently. When we discussed the value, the owner explained it was an investment in lifestyle. He understood that as a financial investment, his motorhome was going to quickly depreciate. But his return on investment was going to be in lifestyle. Life is short, and he and his wife are going to enjoy their years, doing what they enjoy most. Seemed very logical to me.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 10:44 AM   #13

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp 13(sold!) & TDI tugboat
Ohio
Pricey, but nice

The Airstream factory brought one of these to show off at a local airstream rally last spring. It is certainly larger, heavier and fancier than my 13' Scamp, but that makes sense at $45k base price. The "dinette to bed dance" every night would irritate me, just as it did in the scamp, but there is an optional floorplan that has a banquette & removable table so the early riser can eat breakfast without disturbing the late sleeper. Overall, it looked very well done. I wouldn't buy one at that price, but as others have said, there are people who will pay more for a thing because it has a fancy name (Airstream, RangeRover, Apple....)