Trailer Owners Lack of Integrity? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-10-2015, 12:08 PM   #15

Name: Dale
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplander View Post
A few tips when buying from a private seller....Upon arrival at the seller's residence take note of his home, the condition of his property etc. if you see a well maintained home and property that is an indication of how he maintains his "stuff". His travel trailer should reflect that level of care.
If the property is a dump with tall grass and evidence of poor maintenance don't expect the RV to be any different!
I completely agree with this, i buy and sell a lot of toys/vehicles, its pretty easy to tell which ones were quick flips, wrecked repairs, and which ones are legitimately well enjoyed and just time to move on. Ask lots of questions, the good ones will talk and talk about their experiences, answering questions, and sharing a passion for that trailer/vehicle.

I keep a folder and notepad on every vehicle i own - receipts and documentation for work done - it helps me so if i have to go back and find a part number or year i've done something i know. Each time i tow my trailer i mark it down - i can then track when i re-torqued the lugs, or greased the bearings - i go as far as tracking tire pressure over time - it helps me spot problems before they become big.

I do these things for my own piece of mind - but when it comes time to sell something it really helps remove the unknown, it should also be noted that when i sell something i do significant research into the market value, and put a firm price on it - with the supporting documentation i don't need to hagel on the value.

When my trillium goes up for sale it will include all of the pictures from when i took possession, the roof repair i completed, the receipts for the interior overhaul, notes including the date stamps on my replacement tires, mileage traveled, etc.

As a seller i want to sleep at night as well.

Old 07-10-2015, 12:15 PM   #16

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Beware of Sales people wearing PLAID.

Old 07-10-2015, 12:43 PM   #17

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Nolen View Post
Is it just me, or is there a increasing lack of integrity being displayed by private travel trailer owners when they are selling their trailers? And, this includes owners of fiberglass trailers!

Lately, I have noticed a number of new owners of used fiberglass trailers, reporting on this forum/web site, that upon arriving home, they discovered serious hidden defects (like rotting floors) that the owner failed to tell them about, lied to them, or had hidden by paint, etc.

Having spent some time in commission sales, I can understand that a person selling on a commission, and needed to make a sale to pay their rent, might not feel the need to tell all the bad things about a trailer. Maybe in the back of their minds they might be thanking that their company's warranty will take care of any problems. Or maybe they are just dishonest!

However, a private seller not being honest to a buyer is something that I find appalling!. Particularity if the buyer is someone buying a travel trailer for the first time!

Nothing is worse I believe, than a person/couple dreaming of the joy that a travel trailer will bring to their life's...and then discover that they have purchased a trailer, from a that very nice honest looking man, that is a piece of junk thatwill require extensive repairs!

Sigh!!!!

Bill
Certainly there are sellers who are not forth right. I don't believe that its a growing situation among private sellers.

Buyer beware has been a rule of thumb since there has been buyers and sellers. Every buyer has the responsibility to be knowledgeable or to 'employ' a knowledgeable person.

Today with the immense data base it is possible to be knowledgeable better than ever. That said we do keep electing the same politicians....just kidding.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 01:05 PM   #18

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
To some extent I think some of the owners don't know much about taking care of their egg and what it's condition really is.
Many think that the musty smell is just that and putting down some linoleum takes care of the floor problems, etc.
Also many don't know that the frames are cracked and rusty as they are, or they see some metal welded in and think that is OK.
Having bought a 16' Scamp that I knew needed some work I was relatively amazed by what I found when I started taking the thing apart to fix what I knew about!
The frame cracks on the left side because the right side where the door is located is flexing. Repairing the cracks on the left wit some nice patches don't help the cracks in the top of the pass under tubes that you can't see unless you remove the floor over it!
from the factory this junction is totally inadequate for the long term loads and the rifht side will probably crack again.
The Pop rivets are a continual source of problems along with in maintained windows and other vents and openings of one kind or another.
The OSB board is prone to swelling and rotting if it gets wet and there are many opportunities for this as well in the older trailers.
By the way I said Scamp, but these things apply pretty equally to the entire range of fiberglass trailers with the "basement" floor and the right frame cut down for easier access.
All of the same ills are waiting in the even more leak prone stickbuilt trailers as well, of course.
At least the fiberglass trailers can be worth rebuilding, but many here are involved in bigger projects than we had hoped for initially. I know I am and I thought I looked pretty closely.
Must smell, mildew and mold, welding (probably poor quality), old axles, leaking anythings really are signs that the trailer will need extensive work.
If a floor repair is necessary that means that everything comes out and has to be reinstalled and probably fixed too.
When I am done with my project the old Scamp will have a portion of the original frame, the fiberglass shell, aluminum trim strip, door and windows left original. Everything else will be new to that trailer, new or rebuilt.
Probably better than direct from Scamp and built to meet (what I think are) my needs and desires.
It will be a little heavier, longer, and have new paint as well.
So my hope is I have the equivalent or better as a new Scamp and it will be paid as we go rebuilding. No corners cut and the best way I can figure to get the job done.
Then the question is how much is a 1986 17' (now) Scamp super deluxe with front bath, twin beds, full oak cabinets, mini split 9000 BTU A/C, tankless Water heater, New Flexiride axle, bulldog hitch, LED lights throughout and 14" tires worth?
I guess you have to camp the investment out!
Old 07-10-2015, 01:26 PM   #19

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2003 Casita 16' SD
Michigan
Registry
I agree with the perspective that the general population of weasels is appropriately represented in the fiberglass travel trailer market. I also know that it seems like everyone’s a victim these days. No personal responsibility for making a bad purchasing decision. Personally, what I hope for are honest answers to direct questions. I don’t expect them to offer up every issue they can think of that might effect every possible customer. For example, I smoke cigars in my trailer. (I consider it children repellant.) If that matters to the customer they better ask about it.
Old 07-10-2015, 01:43 PM   #20

Name: John Michael
Trailer: Scamp 13
Madison, Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplander View Post
A few tips when buying from a private seller....Upon arrival at the seller's residence take note of his home, the condition of his property etc. if you see a well maintained home and property that is an indication of how he maintains his "stuff". His travel trailer should reflect that level of care.
If the property is a dump with tall grass and evidence of poor maintenance don't expect the RV to be any different!
My nephew is a frugal fellow who has accumulated a couple of rental houses. When meeting a new prospective tenant he insists on meeting them at their car or walking them to their car after showing his rental. He says you can tell a lot about how a person is likely to treat a rental house by how he cares for his car. Owners of messy, cluttered cars don't get leases.
Old 07-10-2015, 01:54 PM   #21

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
Our Boler had 2 layers of newer wood on top of older rotten lower floor 3 layers total, so I am pretty sure the PO new about it but it could have been like that since he owned it but I doubt it. The upper floors had some hidden rot too but I am pretty certain the PO probably wasn't aware of that as I didn't find it until we tried to remove the screws to get the body off the frame. In addition the roof mount a/c was poorly installed and the wood on top had already rotted in just 3 years but it is possible he wasn't aware of that if he hadn't been on a ladder to check it out. Also him or another PO had poorly patched the original holes for the fridge, furnace, stove vent, water, & electric connections...I didn't notice this until the day after we bought it and saw hairline cracks in the paint upon which the panels pushed out completely from the inside with light pressure applied (bondo was used to patch with no fiberglass reinforcement)...none of this was mentioned to either of us when we bought it, they guy seemed friendly and honest, showed us that everything worked and some minor cosmetic things so I really don't know if he hid this stuff from us or not but I could see where he might not have know if it was like that from a PO prior to him, but most likely not. Anyway, we bought it and still got a good deal for what we paid for it and are almost through with the complete restoration from the frame up...would we do it again? Probably so based on the price, but it would have been nice to know it needed new floors & fiberglass work before we bought it
Old 07-10-2015, 02:25 PM   #22

Name: Bill
Trailer: Had Scamp 13', want another small trailer.
Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
There have always been unscrupulous sellers in every market. I think what you may be seeing is that there's an increase in dishonesty and a decrease in integrity in general - not just with buying/selling, but in society as a whole. Owning a fiberglass trailer doesn't automatically make you an honest fellow. Some bad folks have them too. As others have said, (especially in the society we live in today) caveat emptor.
Sadly, I'm afraid that Robert said above is true!

The day of a hand-shake deal is long gone....and I don't believe that is a good thing....but, that's our world today.

Of course, I guess that there was also dishonest horse & wagon traders in the day of the hand-shake deal! And, it your wagon fell apart on the trail...you might have been ate by the bears!

Bill
Old 07-10-2015, 02:37 PM   #23

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
And, nobody here ever brags about how they got a fine trailer for only $600, do they?
Old 07-10-2015, 04:02 PM   #24

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
I bought my Scamp, knowing it had been in an accident, because the gentleman is a gentleman. He sent me photos, which he said I deserved to see. I bought the trailer because I loved it, knew it had FG repairs done at Scamp, and the gentleman I purchased from has become a pen pal and friend.

One does have to be careful out there, no doubt, and that goes for any major used purchase. Ask tons of questions and do plenty of research, and then do more. My seller answered every question I could think of, with grace and kindness. He may be a rare breed out there, but I hope there are more folks like him than not. All of the advice here is good, and caveat emptor remains the gold standard of buyer assurance if integrity of seller cannot be fully ascertained.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 07-10-2015, 04:03 PM   #25

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
ex VT, now CO
Quote:
Of course, I guess that there was also dishonest horse & wagon traders in the day of the hand-shake deal! And, it your wagon fell apart on the trail...you might have been ate by the bears!Bill
They used to look at the horse's teeth, we sniff around for mold and mildew. When we drove 500 miles (one way) to pick up our Scamp the understanding between the seller and me was that I am buying unless I find something unacceptable. I told my wife that if there is any musty smell, we just made a nice two day trip from Vermont to Delaware. Walk the winter beaches, smell the ocean and go home. There were some repairs needed right away and I was able to do them, so the cost was parts and my time, but overall it worked out well.
Old 07-10-2015, 07:50 PM   #26

Name: Steve
Trailer: Casita
Florida
While I am a happy/lucky buyer of a used 2005 17 Casita LD, the longevity of these trailers contribute to these disappointments. A three year old trailer is used, a 10 or 20 year old trailer is a project. Many of our participants are truly talented in a way that lead the more normal of us to "irrational exuberance".

Trying to get started on too slim a budget is asking for trouble. .
Old 07-10-2015, 08:22 PM   #27

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by PC Steve View Post
A three year old trailer is used, a 10 or 20 year old trailer is a project. Trying to get started on too slim a budget is asking for trouble. .
Tiz true. I am closing in on doubling my "investment" in my old Scamp, and that counts NOTHING for my labor. I bought the Scamp from the Owner of a Used Car lot so I knew who I was dealing with.

I was surprised several years earlier in buying a 1984 Chevy S10 Blazer though. Only upon completing the transaction and removing the "For Sale" sign from the grill did I discover that the sign had been taped strategically over a severe crack. I wondered why it had been (duct) taped so securely. The seller sold more than an old Blazer, he sold his soul and very cheaply. I got online and bought not only a brand new grill but both head light rings for chump change, delivered too. Fast forward a few years and I buy an extension cord at the flea market. It was coiled and secured with duct tape. I get home and cut the tape and discover that in addition to holding the coil together it is covering a skinned spot in the insulation. Really? To sum, anybody selling something with duct tape on it hiding something.
Old 07-10-2015, 08:51 PM   #28

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Sellers Integrity???

Quote:
Is it just me, or is there a increasing lack of integrity being displayed by private travel trailer owners when they are selling their trailers? And, this includes owners of fiberglass trailers!

Lately, I have noticed a number of new owners of used fiberglass trailers, reporting on this forum/web site, that upon arriving home, they discovered serious hidden defects (like rotting floors) that the owner failed to tell them about, lied to them, or had hidden by paint, etc.

Having spent some time in commission sales, I can understand that a person selling on a commission, and needed to make a sale to pay their rent, might not feel the need to tell all the bad things about a trailer. Maybe in the back of their minds they might be thanking that their company's warranty will take care of any problems. Or maybe they are just dishonest!

However, a private seller not being honest to a buyer is something that I find appalling!. Particularity if the buyer is someone buying a travel trailer for the first time!

Nothing is worse I believe, than a person/couple dreaming of the joy that a travel trailer will bring to their life's...and then discover that they have purchased a trailer, from a that very nice honest looking man, that is a piece of junk thatwill require extensive repairs!

Sigh!!!!

Bill

If you want to know what integrity looks like, take a peek at this listing. This is the textbook example of sellers with integrity, and they have restored and sold about 12 RV's and I recommend them 100%.
1975 Triple E Surfside Fiberglass Travel Trailer 15' Completely Refurbished | eBay

But to answer your question, I find that many sellers are really clueless about what they are selling. Add to that, a lot of buyers "think" that they know what they are doing and are clueless about the actual cost of having repairs done on a "Fixer".

It's not just trailers, it's the same with almost anything you buy as the "Next Owner"... It's still Buyer Beware.