Trailer Owners Lack of Integrity? - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-12-2015, 12:31 PM   #57
Name: Bill
Trailer: 1978 Scamp 13'
I had a new experience a few months ago.

I had placed a "want -to-buy" ad on craigslist stating that I wanted to buy a Compact Junior. One day I received a call from a man saying that he had a Compact ll that he wanted to sell for $2,500.

He had seen my ad and knowing where he could buy a Compact ll, he bought it cheap (less than $1,000 I believe) thinking he could flip it, and make some money.

Taking the forums "buyers check list" I went to look at the trailer. During my inspection I could see many things that was questionable, and might or would need replacement, plus the door had a large gap at the top when closed.

It was impossible to check any of the electrical or water systems because the seller had parked the trailer far from any power or water. No battery was installed.

When i would point out a defect...the seller would agree...yes, it would need new tires. Yes, the water pump might not work...yes, the holding tank might have a crack in it...yes, the front window was cracked and needed replacement....yes, the top cloth needed replacement, and yes the LP tank wasn't up to code! Etc, etc, etc!

He readily admitted that he had seen my craigslist ad, and had bought the trailer to resale. He didn't know a single thing about the condition of the trailer, and could care less. He never lied about the was "here it is...if you want it...give me $2,500!"

I decided that too many unknown existed for my liking, and after two weeks of talking, I told him I wasn't a buyer at $2,400, and $1,800 was the most i'd pay.. During this time he was in progress of getting a new title.

In a day or so, he placed an ad on this forum, and sold the trailer the very next day!

I may have passed on a great buy....or on a turkey! However, only the buyer's of that trailer knows for sure!

I'd like to again thank Bob Miller for being very nice, and answering the dozens of questions I asked him during that period, as i tried to make up my mind whether or not to buy the trailer!

Bill Nolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 01:36 PM   #58
Name: Patrick
Trailer: R-Vision Trail Lite
New York
The marketplace is short on supply (FG Trailers) and long on the list of buyers get a lot of interested potential buyers many show up may be another matter.

In the past I have posted ads on Craigslist with a lot of quality pictures and completed the sale in hours of posting. If you have real buyers responding they will be at your door in a New York minute! My best record was about 20 minutes for the call to come in....buyer at my door in an hour with cash in hand....looked over the item ( a boat) and was gone in about 30 minutes with the item in tow!

If your ad finds a real buyer the item is gone that many buyers have been to look at your trailer since you first listed it for sale? many cash offers ??? Something is not right here!

Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 02:29 PM   #59
Name: John Michael
Trailer: Scamp 13
Madison, Wisconsin
Bad negotiating!

Two years ago we sold a Rialta motorhome to a young couple. The sale began with our craigslist ad. The prospective buyers made an appointment to come see and inspect. We spent over an hour going over all the systems with me pointing out all the real and possible problems. They ended up offering the $23,000 asking price. But, they were young and so nice. So I went into hardball negotiating mode and beat the price down to $22,500. They wrote a check and agreed to pick up the Rialta a week later. (Probably the only way I would take a check and not cash) I quickly went to their bank and converted the check into a cashiers check which I deposited. A few days later they drove away in their new RV. Despite my embarrassingly lousy negotiating technique it was a delightful experience.

John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 02:47 PM   #60
Name: jim
Trailer: Burro
Patrick, you're right

Now that I've seen the reaction I had trying to sell my Burro when it's been stuck in a garage for the last 3 years, I agree with your method of selling an egg. Lots of people called but for the life of me, I could not recall how far I got on some of the interior items. For example I pulled off most of the propane items(heater, tanks, lines)as I wanted to replace them with butane or electric or whatever but I wasn't sure if I gave them to the shop who did work on the trailer. I also misjudged the number of folks who wanted to come over to look at the rig with cash in hand when I was 2 weeks away from home. I stand corrected & will have lots of pictures next time and the time to show it.
This morning I notified all the interested parties that I was cancelling the sale until I have more time to deal with the egg hunters who were willing to travel for hours to see my trailer.

jimcapon is offline   Reply With Quote