Trailer question not Fiberglass - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-24-2016, 02:13 PM   #21

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
Looking at a 1 owner 1967 Apache Eagle to purchase.

Kinda neat, very light (400#'s) and vintage popup to boot to pull behind our VW Westfalia Van.

Anyone have any input to add (Good or Bad) about this little piece of camping nostalgia???
Mike,

I love seeing old equipment, cars, trains, planes and trailers that are still in service. Each one's design represents a step (or sometimes a misstep!) in the evolution to making our lives easier or better in some way.

I mentally bless the people that take care of these of these relics and keep them running. Sometimes I am reminded of something similar that I personally owned and operated, such when I had an air-cooled '64 Notchback and a split-window Kombi, both 6 volt.

In general, I then go gratefully back to enjoying my newer, though sometimes-infernally complicated, "stuff".

However, in the end I say if you like it and it speaks to you, go for it!

And yes, the irony that many of the trailers on this site are older units is not lost on me. I enjoy seeing the restorations and improvements, but it's also not an accident that mine is just going on five years young!

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 02:37 PM   #22

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
Mike,

I love seeing old equipment, cars, trains, planes and trailers that are still in service. Each one's design represents a step (or sometimes a misstep!) in the evolution to making our lives easier or better in some way.

I mentally bless the people that take care of these of these relics and keep them running. Sometimes I am reminded of something similar that I personally owned and operated, such when I had an air-cooled '64 Notchback and a split-window Kombi, both 6 volt.

In general, I then go gratefully back to enjoying my newer, though sometimes-infernally complicated, "stuff".

However, in the end I say if you like it and it speaks to you, go for it!

And yes, the irony that many of the trailers on this site are older units is not lost on me. I enjoy seeing the restorations and improvements, but it's also not an accident that mine is just going on five years young!
Mike,

Well said! I'm always weighing the advantages of older, proven, lower cost, simpler, against the newer, more convenient, safer, more efficient, etc. How much of what we do is nostalgia vs. reality or our current needs? Older cars, trailers, etc can be radically modified or upgraded to suit, vs newer stuff that is already nice in it's own way and probably harder to work on.

I really like looking at older machines just to get a glimpse of the thinking at the time and the physics of how things work and deal with stresses of the job at hand. How everything was done with iron instead of electronics. How engine technology continuously evolves. How the use of materials, in general, evolves. I sometimes giggle at the seemingly absurd designs of things, but then realize those old engineers really knew what they were doing. They often had a different sense of priorities too. Maybe a longer machine life or using simpler maintenance tools. Since things were less standardized way back when, all ideas or styles could be tried.

Almost everything we have is the result of many many small steps forward or a slightly different priority. "I want a blue one", "I want a faster one", I want a cheaper one", "I want a smaller one", "I want one that will do it for me", etc.
Old 11-25-2016, 10:53 AM   #23

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
I enjoy having older things as well, maybe because I'm older myself, LOL! I have a '78 Corvette, completely restored. My son and I restored a '90 S15 as a Father-Son project. I tow my trailer with an '88 F250 diesel, my current restoration project. Older is good.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote