TRAILER SCAM Watch out heres how it works - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-18-2016, 06:54 PM   #15

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Problem is scammers practice scamming people and most folks seldom purchase things such as an RV, boat or car.

All you can do is go into it with open eyes and a suspicious mind. Personally I think a legit person will have no problem with my being cautious. Trust your instincts if something does not seem right then something is NOT right. Your subconscious mind noticed it, your conscious mind can't put its finger on it, but there is something that triggered that "feeling" so go with it.

Meeting at bank and doing transaction inside or police station for large purchases is good advice. Video cameras and cops make most scammers leave off. Bank will have a notary and in order to get a signed and notarized receipt one has to show photo id. Won't show your drivers license to the nice lady in the bank who is witnessing the bill of sale? Have an excuse? Don't care we are done and if I have your license plate I'm reporting it.

One scam that buyers have been pulling is to have a cashiers check or money order for well over the purchase price. Goal is to get you to "cash" it at your bank and refund the difference, two days later the bank will inform you the check or MO is bogus and you have just sold your item such as car or RV and paid the scammer a bonus to take it.

Many people think because the bank "cashed" it that it must be good, but the bank is giving you the money based on your own account balance not the check or money order having actually cleared. They just debit your account for the "refund" cash you took, and if the check don't clear then the debit that too.

Seems scams like the OP show up every few months, and sharp eyed members here post a most welcome heads up to let us know.

Old 01-18-2016, 07:15 PM   #16

Name: Thomas
Trailer: 22' Home Built
Ohio
Registry
Another thing that seems to come up, especially if you are selling something, is they ask for your Paypal ID #. I ran into that so many times when I was selling a motorcycle. They said "I will have my agent stop by to look at it, and if he approves I will forward the money to your PayPal account immediately, I just need your full name and Pay Pal account number. " These were made via text or email. I would text them back with the most outlandish stuff just for fun- telling them to walk out into the street with their hands in the air, that they were under arrest under penal code #_____. They spoof everything including their phone numbers. I could never figure outhow they were going to get money just by having the account number...but , then "I am not a crook" to quote a famous man.

Old 01-20-2016, 05:54 AM   #17

Name: Marjie
Trailer: Trillium 4500
New York
There are many if these ads on the New York metro area Craig's list. Scamps, Casitas, Airstreams.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 01-20-2016, 07:16 AM   #18

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
This information from Craigslist is the single best single source of advice I have seen and includes all the previous suggestions in this thread, and more.

This is required reading for anyone who answers an online advertisement.
Old 01-25-2016, 02:06 AM   #19

Name: Robyn
Trailer: Casita Freedom Deluxe Wanted
Arizona
scammers suck

while i've been shopping for a Casita on Craigslist I've been flagging these damn $2000 newer model Casitas knowing they are a scam. I'm so worried that a less savvy person will fall victim. I really can't understand why Craigslist can't do more to prevent this. If we all can identify a scammer why can't they? Besides the obnoxiously low price (whether it's a Casita or a Porsche) they seem to like the colored block font when putting their phone number in the ad. Buyer beware and a sad state of affairs.
Old 01-25-2016, 03:17 AM   #20

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by davisposse View Post
while i've been shopping for a Casita on Craigslist I've been flagging these damn $2000 newer model Casitas knowing they are a scam. I'm so worried that a less savvy person will fall victim. I really can't understand why Craigslist can't do more to prevent this. If we all can identify a scammer why can't they? Besides the obnoxiously low price (whether it's a Casita or a Porsche) they seem to like the colored block font when putting their phone number in the ad. Buyer beware and a sad state of affairs.
C/L is a self policing web site. Can't tell you how many times I've flagged those scam ads. Sometimes I wonder if it really does any good. It's unfortunate that some folks fall for them. C/L can be a great tool, just have to be on your game.
Old 01-25-2016, 05:54 AM   #21

Name: Bill
Trailer: 1978 Scamp 13'
Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhTom View Post
Another thing that seems to come up, especially if you are selling something, is they ask for your Paypal ID #. I ran into that so many times when I was selling a motorcycle. They said "I will have my agent stop by to look at it, and if he approves I will forward the money to your PayPal account immediately, I just need your full name and Pay Pal account number. " These were made via text or email. I would text them back with the most outlandish stuff just for fun- telling them to walk out into the street with their hands in the air, that they were under arrest under penal code #_____. They spoof everything including their phone numbers. I could never figure outhow they were going to get money just by having the account number...but , then "I am not a crook" to quote a famous man.
If you sell something to a person, and they pay you by Palpal, the money should be deposited in your Palpal account without any problems.

HOWEVER, if a third party picks up the item, Paypal's payment guarantee is void!

A friend almost was taken in by a "buyer" who wanted to pay by Paypal, and having his friend, who was passing thru Arizona, to pickup the boat. Paypal advised my friend that would not covered by their payment agreement,

It's a pity that there are so many crooks out there....and they all look like such nice people!

However, sometimes honest buyers do act like crooks! A man once came to look at a almost new Ford pickup I was selling for my sister-in-law. The PU had belonged to her late husband. The man took one look at the PU and said he would buy it! Now, i have never sold any auto without the buyer at least starting the motor or test driving it.

So red flags popped up in my mind! Of course,when he wanted to pay with a Company check, and there was a laptop computer, plus a check writing machine sitting in his auto's front seat, more red flags popped up!

When I told him I wanted cash, he didn't get upset, just said he didn't carry that much money on him, but we could drive to his bank and get the money.

And that's what we did!

Bill
Old 01-25-2016, 07:56 AM   #22

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
There's a sucker born every minute...
P.T. Barnum
Old 01-26-2016, 09:34 PM   #23

Name: Monte
Trailer: Perris Pacer
California
Registry
Every day in California I check Craigslist for these scams and flag them! Really sad that this is somebody's idea of getting ahead in life!
Old 09-25-2016, 04:28 AM   #24

Name: Jeanne
Trailer: Desire a Scamp 13' Trailer
Washington
Scam experience today😕

I was sincerely excited about such a good deal and they even provided me with 23 specific pictures. The response all started with a text that the daughter sent advising me to email her mother.

When she said it could be delivered to me free within three days after I sent half the money to Google wallet the red light appeared. Then after a 15 day review I could pay the other half of the money to Google wallet and they would release it to her.

It really broke my heart and saddened me when I realized it had to be a scam. Not to mention a lot of wasted time.
Old 09-26-2016, 09:55 AM   #25

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanne W. View Post
I was sincerely excited about such a good deal and they even provided me with 23 specific pictures. The response all started with a text that the daughter sent advising me to email her mother.

When she said it could be delivered to me free within three days after I sent half the money to Google wallet the red light appeared. Then after a 15 day review I could pay the other half of the money to Google wallet and they would release it to her.

It really broke my heart and saddened me when I realized it had to be a scam. Not to mention a lot of wasted time.
Learning experience that does not hurt you or steal your money has some value so not a total waste of time, plus having this discussion here may have alerted a few others.

Most photos can be easily downloaded from web pages, these scammers will download photos from legit sales and use those. I seem to recall some members pointing out that the same camper was for sale in multiple states at one time under different headings. Descriptions were different but pictures were the same.
Old 09-26-2016, 11:57 AM   #26

Name: Jeanne
Trailer: Desire a Scamp 13' Trailer
Washington
Thank you for your kind words my friend. I still feel heartsick as I thought I was going to get a deal of a lifetime and it's been my favorite camper pictures so far!
Old 09-26-2016, 01:54 PM   #27

Name: Bruce
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft RQ
Missouri
Many of today's consumer printers can print a better cashier's check than a bank can.
Old 09-26-2016, 02:20 PM   #28

Name: Bruce
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft RQ
Missouri
When I purchased my last Bigfoot it was an out of state transaction in Colorado, I live in Missouri. I went to Colorado and had my bank do a bank to bank transfer (wire) direct to the seller's bank account, which the sellers could verify before I took the trailer.

It got a little complicated because they owed money on the trailer and the finance company holding their title was in Virginia. I had to pay to have the title over-nighted to my bank then again to Colorado. Then the sellers (husband and wife) had to both endorse the title. It wound up taking over a week.

I won't go through all of that again, even for a "really good deal".

The sellers were a couple in their eighties. They were homeowners and the trailer was at their house. I was able to figure out they were legitimate sellers through all of that and telephone conversation with their local bank and having my bank call their out of state lien-holder and verify the VIN on the title.

Where you could get into trouble is if a trailer has a lien on it that you are not informed of.