Trailer Severely Damaged After Bolerama - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-24-2009, 07:03 PM   #15
Name: Phil
Trailer: 1977 Trillium 4500 (previously a 1978 Trillium 4500, Rpod 171 and Surveyor SV251)
Hi Folks,

Thanks for your kind words everyone. We were able to provide sufficient examples of comparable Trillium 4500's to our insurance company to come to a fair settlement - basically what we paid for it two years ago plus a couple hundred for the improvements I made.

As an aside, in Ontario (where we live) and in New Brunswick (where the accident occrurred), the laws governing insurance are essentially the same. Technically, though we have to follow the insurance rules of the place where the accident occurred - as I say though they are the same in our case. Both provinces are "no fault" provinces - this means that regardless of fault in the accident (although in this case its confirmed the truck driver was at fault) each person claims from their own insurance company. Its not possible in New Brunswick to claim from the other persons insurance company. Yes, thats possible in the US and in certain other Canadian provinces but not in Ontario or New Brunswick.

We still don't know what to do with our old trailer (try and do major repairs or find a good used body or part it out) - we've asked the insurance company if we can keep the remains so that the valuable parts can go to other enthusiasts but I don't know if I want to be the one to dismantle it and sell and ship the parts. That might be a project for someone else. We are awaiting their response.

In the mean time we actually ventured to a nearby RV dealership to look at some new and used replacements - some of them are really questionable quality compared to our trusty Trillium - tempting though.

Does anyone know of a Trillium 4500 body with perhaps a rusty frame going cheap?

77 Trillium 4500
Phil 4500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 08:56 PM   #16
Trailer: 1977 Boler
HI Phil . Glad your both well. Hope things work out. Fred

Fred Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 08:11 AM   #17
Trailer: 94 Casita 16 ft

The way I see it, the two worst parts are over: Having the accident, and getting the trailer home. From what I've seen with both boats, and FGRV's, I'd say you have a very good candidate for repair on your hands there. Don't beat the insurance company to the punch by writing it off yourself.

At the very least, I'd put my own patch on there. Even if the job you do isn't very pretty, as long as it's water tight you can cut it out and redo it later. As I learned from my own experiences, fiberglass is very nice to work with, and the time consumption can be therapeutic.

One more thing, I've seen some real basket cases resurrected on this forum, and yours looks like it's nowhere near as bad as some.

Good luck.
Paul from NWOnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 11:58 AM   #18
Trailer: 2005 17 ft Escape ('Turtle')
Like everyone else, I cringed reading of your ordeal and my heart goes out to you for having gone through it, just so very grateful, as you are, that you are not hurt, except the heart ache of your trailer damage.

I too would encourage you to think of repairing, you seem very happy with and attached to your Trillium. How does the inside look? Based on outside damage it seems very repairable, if you don't want to tackle it by all means find a fiberglass place, possibly a boat works, and contact Reace at Escape Trailers about getting a window. They make the Trilliums for the resurrected Trillium manufacturer in California and would have the window replacement for you. We had all the windows in our ex-Burro replaced at a regular glass place that does auto windows and household windows, they did an excellent job so that is also a possibility.

Fiberglass looks awful when damaged, but is so very repairable, maybe a replacement trailer will come along, but consider researching the repair option also.

Best wishes, there is a solution to put you back on the road!

"A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving." -- Lao Tzu

Enjoy our travel photos at: Turtle Travels
Penney H. & Mike E. is offline   Reply With Quote