Trailer Severely Damaged After Bolerama - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-22-2009, 01:31 PM   #1

Trailer: Former 1978 Trillium 4500 owner (now 2010 R-pod)
We had a great time at Bolerama with our Trillium 4500 and were really looking forward to our first big trip with the trailer out to visit the inlaws in New Brunswick. We took the back roads to get to Bathurst, taking three days and enjoying the scenery.

We had just stopped to visit the roadside memorial to the "Boys in Red" - the 7 Bathurst area teenagers killed last winter when their van lost control and was hit by a tractor trailer and killed them and their teachers wife, when not an hour later as we continued to head south towards Moncton on a two lane highway a north bound tractor trailer veered across the yellow line directly into our path. I manouvered to the right onto the shoulder and narrowly missed being hit head on but the tractor trailer continued to veer left and sideswiped our beloved Trillium - we think it will be a total loss.

The tractor trailer driver told the police he had blacked out and was only awakened when he hit our trailer and veered back into his lane. This surely saved the lives of the couple travelling behind us who would have been hit head on had the driver not smashed into our trailer.

With the trailer full of broken glass and gaping holes in the side, we weren't able to stay in it, so we limped back to Bathurst and stayed with friends until we were able to make temporary repairs to the lights and install the spare tire. Fortunately, the frame and suspension were not damaged so were able to tow it back to Ontario.

While we feel lucky to be alive to write this we are absolutely heartbroken over what has happened to our trailer. I had done quite a few things to improve what was a very original trailer including replacing all woodwork on the upper storage cabinets, installing new laminate flooring, resealing the windows, and after scouring many rv dealers for obsolete parts, all of the almond coloured water and electrical inlets and outlets on the sides. We even had the original upholstery repaired rather than replaced to keep it as original as possible. I had even spent many hours compounding and waxing the outside - even the roof was shiny!

We're not sure what to do now

Phil 4500 and family

Update: It looks like it will be written off. You can't see it in the pictures but the fibreglass is damaged (broken, cracked, splintered) from front to back, top to bottom on the drivers side. The best option I can think of is to take the insurance payment and buy another trailer with a good body and rotted frame and transfer all our good parts to that body and put it on our frame...lots of work. The other option is to just get another trailer all together.
Attached Thumbnails
New_Brunswick_trip_July_2009_003.jpg   New_Brunswick_trip_July_2009_051.jpg  

New_Brunswick_trip_July_2009_068.jpg   New_Brunswick_trip_July_2009_106.jpg  

New_Brunswick_trip_July_2009_107.jpg   New_Brunswick_trip_July_2009_122.jpg  

Old 07-22-2009, 01:37 PM   #2

Trailer: 1960 28 ft Airstream
First off, so glad that you are safe-vehicles are repairable/replaceable, but a second difference early or late and the results might have different. Looking at the damage to your trailer, what about a boat repair shop? how bad was the damage inside? Pretty mild when you consider a semi hit it...

Pam
Pamela H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 01:40 PM   #3

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
So sorry to hear about your accident and glad that you survived it! In looking at the trailer pictures, it appears that the damage is mostly to the exterior (with some inside damage, too, I'm sure). Could a boat trailer place work on the fiberglass? It looks like boats I've seen that have hit a tree stump under water. If the frame is still good, I would definitely try to have someone get the shell back in shape. You can then take your time on the interior. Good luck!
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 01:59 PM   #4

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
Yeah I'll bet a boat shop can make it like new.
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 02:19 PM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Holy crap!!! I'm so glad you all are OK!!! That could have ended poorly...

I think the tractor trailer driver should be buying you a new Trillium. Or at least paying for the repairs.

He blacked out? While driving a tractor trailer and almost hitting two vehicles head-on? Hopefully this guy isn't back on the roads.

David Mooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 02:21 PM   #6

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Is it insured? If so, call the insurance company! They will have to either total it out or pay for repairs.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 02:26 PM   #7

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
I get the jitters when I read this stuff. Glad your OK
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 02:31 PM   #8

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Arrow

So sorry to hear about your ordeal, thankfully all of you guys are alright. What a scary adventure.
Sorry for your lost TT, but that can be replaced.

Quote:
Is it insured? If so, call the insurance company! They will have to either total it out or pay for repairs.
What about HIS insurance company? I believe you need to get some values on simular Trilliums. They may try to short change you on the true value. Hang in there, hang tuff.

I am very happy you all were not hurt.

2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 05:58 PM   #9

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
Glad you're ok

try contacting team trillium and see if they would perform a repair job, if it's just the fibreglass they fix, it might be better than writing it off, and if they do write it off, remember they are required to give you first option to buy it back for the deductible price, the window frames look ok, just need new glass, hows the interior?
remember you can always get an appraisal from a private appraiser if you don't like their value.

Joe
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 07:26 PM   #10
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
And, folks, for what it's worth, THIS situation is the reason we hang onto the old, SOLD, "for sale" ads. You might be able to find comparable trailers that recently sold, to help you make your case when talking to the insurance adjuster(s).

NADA typically undervalues these trailers, for whatever reasons. You need data from actual transactions - and make a list of all the great improvements you made to your "old" Trill. It's the only way to get just compensation!

GLAD you're okay!!
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 11:47 PM   #11

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Wowser! I guess my hair raising weekend drive was a walk in the park compared to yours. Thankfully, you are here to write about your saga. Sorry about your trailer, But really glad you and your family were unhurt. Yes the archived for sales and referral for sales should help you with replacement cost. Best of Luck. Robin
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 12:25 AM   #12

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
Thank the Good Lord you (and the people following) were unhurt in this incident. As others have already said, 'things' are replaceable ... each special person in this world is not!

DH is a retired insurance adjustor/damage appraiser, and we agree with David Moody - DO go after the trucking company or the owner/operator for THAT insurance company to "make you whole again" as the parlance goes. YOU are the injured party here! Your insurance carrier should be a last resort - the other guy did the damage & as the claimant on HIS coverage, you hold most of the clout. Take accumulated valuation info from ads, etc. and HANG TUFF.
Hope this helps - L 'n D

p.s. neglected to mention the 'magic bullet' - if their insurance people give you a lot of grief, just mention that you plan to contact the Provincial Insurance Commissioner (or whatever entity licenses insurers there) to file a 'BAD FAITH' complaint ... you'll be amazed at how fast attitudes can change when faced with this possibility!
Old 07-23-2009, 06:53 AM   #13

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Phil 4500... YIKES!!! Everyone was soooo lucky...even the trailer in some respects. It stayed upright and took a serious hit. Paul Neumeister in Sebringville might be able to put "Humpty together again"???
Big trucks make me nervous as you never know how long the guys been at the wheel!!!
I would certainly think a new Trillium 13'er or even a 17' Escape might be in your future but I'm sure this won't be settled any time soon!!! I hope the outcome is satisfactory for you.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 05:59 PM   #14

Trailer: 2003 Casita Spirit Deluxe 16 ft (Eggs-Car-Go with ivy the tug)
Hello Phil, sorry to hear of your ordeal, hope all works out, I agree with previous posts get the trucking co. pay no matter which way you decide to go. It was good to hear you had time to react and only fiberglass cracked. Keep us posted of your progress, we hope you can make the Bolerama next year.
Edward Shook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 07:03 PM   #15

Trailer: Former 1978 Trillium 4500 owner (now 2010 R-pod)
Hi Folks,

Thanks for your kind words everyone. We were able to provide sufficient examples of comparable Trillium 4500's to our insurance company to come to a fair settlement - basically what we paid for it two years ago plus a couple hundred for the improvements I made.

As an aside, in Ontario (where we live) and in New Brunswick (where the accident occrurred), the laws governing insurance are essentially the same. Technically, though we have to follow the insurance rules of the place where the accident occurred - as I say though they are the same in our case. Both provinces are "no fault" provinces - this means that regardless of fault in the accident (although in this case its confirmed the truck driver was at fault) each person claims from their own insurance company. Its not possible in New Brunswick to claim from the other persons insurance company. Yes, thats possible in the US and in certain other Canadian provinces but not in Ontario or New Brunswick.

We still don't know what to do with our old trailer (try and do major repairs or find a good used body or part it out) - we've asked the insurance company if we can keep the remains so that the valuable parts can go to other enthusiasts but I don't know if I want to be the one to dismantle it and sell and ship the parts. That might be a project for someone else. We are awaiting their response.

In the mean time we actually ventured to a nearby RV dealership to look at some new and used replacements - some of them are really questionable quality compared to our trusty Trillium - tempting though.

Does anyone know of a Trillium 4500 body with perhaps a rusty frame going cheap?
Old 07-24-2009, 08:56 PM   #16

Trailer: 1977 Boler
HI Phil . Glad your both well. Hope things work out. Fred
Fred Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 08:11 AM   #17

Trailer: 94 Casita 16 ft
WOW!!

The way I see it, the two worst parts are over: Having the accident, and getting the trailer home. From what I've seen with both boats, and FGRV's, I'd say you have a very good candidate for repair on your hands there. Don't beat the insurance company to the punch by writing it off yourself.

At the very least, I'd put my own patch on there. Even if the job you do isn't very pretty, as long as it's water tight you can cut it out and redo it later. As I learned from my own experiences, fiberglass is very nice to work with, and the time consumption can be therapeutic.

One more thing, I've seen some real basket cases resurrected on this forum, and yours looks like it's nowhere near as bad as some.

Good luck.
Paul from NWOnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 11:58 AM   #18

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Escape ('Turtle')
Registry
Like everyone else, I cringed reading of your ordeal and my heart goes out to you for having gone through it, just so very grateful, as you are, that you are not hurt, except the heart ache of your trailer damage.

I too would encourage you to think of repairing, you seem very happy with and attached to your Trillium. How does the inside look? Based on outside damage it seems very repairable, if you don't want to tackle it by all means find a fiberglass place, possibly a boat works, and contact Reace at Escape Trailers about getting a window. They make the Trilliums for the resurrected Trillium manufacturer in California and would have the window replacement for you. We had all the windows in our ex-Burro replaced at a regular glass place that does auto windows and household windows, they did an excellent job so that is also a possibility.

Fiberglass looks awful when damaged, but is so very repairable, maybe a replacement trailer will come along, but consider researching the repair option also.

Best wishes, there is a solution to put you back on the road!

Penney

Enjoy our travel photos at: Turtle Travels
Penney H. & Mike E. is offline   Reply With Quote