Trailer that will fit through an 8ft garage door - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2015, 08:50 PM   #1

Name: Jill
Trailer: in the market
California
Trailer that will fit through an 8ft garage door

Hi. We are new to trailering and have decided on some sort of new fgrv but think we want one that we can store at home in our garage. It looks to me like Scamp, Casita, Happier Camper and Trillium Outback might work.

Are there other options I'm missing? Can I trust the specs (ex. if the mfg says 7' 10" so only 2" to spare) to be accurate?

We want a very light weight trailer that can be easily towed with our existing vehicle (Lexus RX, max 3500 lbs) over mountain passes if needed. A bathroom isn't a high priority for us. We would prefer a bigger bed but it looks like we'll have to compromise on the 48" bed.

Currently the 16 ft Scamp (like floorplan 4) or the Trillium Outback (love the bigger windows) are the front runners for us. The Happier Camper looks so cool, but I would prefer something a little homier.

Any thoughts? Thank you in advance!
Jill2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 09:17 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Depends. Axles relax. You could end up buying a 19(XX) trailer expecting it's going to be XX height... and the owner changed the axle and now it's TO TALL. Whatever trailer you decide to buy, make sure you know the height! Don't assume, you may be very sorry.

I changed the axle on my 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe. Prior to axle change, it would fit through an 8' door. No LONGER.

Age is meaningless. (Except when I look in the mirror )
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 11:01 PM   #3

Name: Denece
Trailer: Compact II
California
Registry
Our Compact II and the other pop-tops all fit easily in standard garages. They are a little harder to find, but worth the wait.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Denece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 12:27 AM   #4

Name: Sam
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
Registry
My 76 boler fits through the garage door. Original axel but new tires are slightly larger.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 06-23-2015, 12:49 AM   #5

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
First off Jill, welcome to FGRV. I THINK that any FB trailer, other than a 5'er, without roof air would clear an 8' door. Pull up the manufacturers sites and check their specs. But as Donna D pointed out, if it's not new, it may have been changed from factory by past owners. I added a 3" lift to mine so my specs are out the window. There are a few ways to lower the unit to clear the door and many have been posted. All are pretty cheap to do also. Others will chime in soon.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 06:33 AM   #6

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
A Lil Snoozy would fit, @ 7.6.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 07:27 AM   #7

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
If only my garage doors were 8'............
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 07:41 AM   #8

Name: Gary
Trailer: 1976 13' Scamp
Michigan
Good point! Don't assume your garage door is 8' unless you measured it.
boats19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 08:26 AM   #9

Name: jim
Trailer: Escape 21 Nov.2016
Florida
Registry
Most garage doors are 84 in (7ft) 4 panels .So Each panel is 21in. So usually if one wants a bigger door its 105 in. They add one extra panel .
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 10:01 AM   #10

Trailer: Escape
Smile 2004-2006 Escape 17 ft

My Escape fits in my 8 ft high garage with enough room for my wife's Honda civic beside it. In 2007 Escape increased the clearance of the trailer and had added to the overall height so anything newer would not work for us. My 79 Boler also fit which was higher than any others I have seen. I could spin the trailer around the garage with a wheel on the tongue.

Again most garages are only 7 ft so make sure you measure twice before purchasing. I did.

We upgraded to the Escape for the bathroom as we plan on doing a lot more traveling when we retire.
Grant Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 10:42 AM   #11

California
Thank you for the great input everyone.

Definitely measured my garage before posting. I just double checked though and was a bit surprised to find that I have 3 18" panels in the middle and 2 21" panels on the top and bottom (5 panels total). Before I thought they were all the same size.

I liked the Lil Snoozy layout a lot, but think the weight (2500 lbs dry right?) will be too much for our 3500 lbs towing limit. And we thought about popups (like the Compact II) but decided against that.

Grant, how tall is your 2006 Escape? Did you have to do anything to it to make it fit?

I will search the forum to see what others have done to reduce the height.
Thanks again.
Old 06-23-2015, 11:02 AM   #12

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
Pennsylvania
Casita clearance

16' Casita with standard axle will fit through an 8' door. 1999 and earlier 17' Casita will fit. Both have no air conditioner on the roof. MaxxAir fan covers added to either will prevent entry but both can be removed easily for storage. If the trailer is too tall by an inch or two you can let the air out of the tires and refill them when you get it in.
starbrightsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 11:05 AM   #13

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I am not sure why 2500 lbs would be too much for a 3500 lbs tow limit. Sounds perfect to me. There are those on this site that go well over their tow limit.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 11:05 AM   #14

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to bill&sandra
Quote:
Originally Posted by boats19 View Post
Good point! Don't assume your garage door is 8' unless you measured it.
Yes! Our door top is 7'...even our non top AC Scamp 13 could not fit. Disappointing. Had to buy storage space for our Escape. Will be measuring garage openings when we go house hunting!
bill&sandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 11:32 AM   #15

Trailer: Escape
Just remeasured as I upgraded to a Maxx Fan from Escape trailers factory in Chilliwack, BC. 7 FT 8 INCHES. It still fits with the Maxx Fan up, luckily as I have forgot to put it down when moving it out. They also installed a screen door and side hatch. Very pleased with my Escape it is the second one I have owned. This is the standard factory height 2004-2006 years only.
Grant Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 12:08 PM   #16

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to bill&sandra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant Allen View Post
Just remeasured as I upgraded to a Maxx Fan from Escape trailers factory in Chilliwack, BC. 7 FT 8 INCHES. It still fits with the Maxx Fan up, luckily as I have forgot to put it down when moving it out. They also installed a screen door and side hatch. Very pleased with my Escape it is the second one I have owned. This is the standard factory height 2004-2006 years only.
Yes. Ours is a 2011
bill&sandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 04:04 PM   #17

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
[QUOTE=Jill2015;530727]Thank you for the great input everyone.

Definitely measured my garage before posting. I just double checked though and was a bit surprised to find that I have 3 18" panels in the middle and 2 21" panels on the top and bottom (5 panels total). Before I thought they were all the same size.

You are all talking about the HEIGHT of the door, right? As most single garage doors are 9 or 10 ft WIDE ???
A roof top A/C can spoil your dreams of getting it inside.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 07:25 PM   #18

Name: Dave
Trailer: 13' 1973 Boler - tow/2017 Colorado Crew-Cab
Ontario
Registry
Boler in the barn ? Most standard garage doors up here are 7 foot height. Our '73 Boler would only get in If I deflated tires, or removed entire wheels, or at least scraped some wax off the roof. So, over this winter we built a new garage ! Our new 'Boler Barn' is just 16 feet by 16 feet; but the door is 9 feet high, and 12 feet wide. Now we have plenty of room to renovate.
bullfrogeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 09:30 AM   #19

California
Came to this forum looking for new trailers that would fit under our 8ft garage door and what I learned instead was that shorter garage doors are very common. And since we don't plan to be in this house much longer, it would be foolish to limit our trailer choice based on its height, when it might not fit in the garage of our next home.

So the field is wide open for us now. Thank you everyone for your help on this!
Old 06-13-2020, 02:38 AM   #20

Name: Natalie
Trailer: ford
mexico
Excuse me! I'm a new rver and I also want to know how fit with my rv and can I install the RV garage door by myself? I want to more understand about it.
Natalie21 is offline   Reply With Quote