Trailer Tracker - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-15-2015, 04:38 PM   #15
Name: Ken
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
There is the Victron inverter with GPS that uploads position to the Victron site and you can log in with a smartphone app. A Nice side benefit for those looking for an inverter upgrade.

Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 05:28 PM   #16
Name: Pineapple Man
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Has anyone tried those devices that clamp onto the wheels ?

Pineapple Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 06:53 PM   #17
Name: Ron
Trailer: 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
South Carolina
I am about to get an expensive trailer. But worrying about theft is something I'm not going to do, nor am I going to take any extraordinary measures. I use a tongue lock and that should be enough when traveling. If I was going to put it in storage, I'd probably string a long chain thru the wheels. Beyond that is just kind of excessive considering the low risk. If you are insured, you are only protecting your deductible, not the full value of the trailer. So how far would you go to protect $250? $500? $1000? Spending a few hundred dollars a year to protect a $500 deductible, that odds are, would never be used, just seems excessive to me.
2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
Follow my blog -
Ron Merritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 04:53 AM   #18
Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
Makes me wonder what the payoff from your insurance would be. Non fiberglass trailers depreciate very fast, think they pay heed to the real value of fiberglass?
Bob & Deb
padlin00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 07:24 AM   #19
Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
A very good point.... In the event of a theft of ones trailer, thinking that the deductible will be all one is out might be a bit over confident.

Unless one has "Full Replacement Value" or a "Stated Value" policy, many have learned that travel trailers in general, and molded fiberglass trailers in particular, are not well appreciated by insurance companies.

And, in the example of a "Built to Order" new FGRV, the possibility of a years loss of use waiting for a replacement would prompt me to take a few extra steps for protection as well. It's more than just the money.....
Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 07:38 AM   #20
Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 Std
Trailer Tracker

Agree with you, Bob. And for those of us with much-loved used trailers, there is the difficulty of even finding a comparable replacement at all.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 07:56 AM   #21
Name: p@
Trailer: Casita
South Carolina
you would be nice if the insurance companies would use the same valuation as the tax guys. the former depreciates coverage rapidly and the latter tends to keep the value up as long as possible. coincidence? i think not.

patrick crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 08:37 AM   #22
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Originally Posted by padlin00 View Post
Makes me wonder what the payoff from your insurance would be. Non fiberglass trailers depreciate very fast, think they pay heed to the real value of fiberglass?
In my experience the insurance companies do not know the resale value of a fiberglass trailer vs a sticky and will want to depreciate your trailers value by about 10% a year. Each year they ask and I just say nope! :-)

I have a Stated Value policy. Which means in the event of a claim for the trailer I will need to prove its value is what I have declared it to be. Was advised by my insurance agent the best way to do that is to keep copies of any sale ads etc that I might see for the same year/make trailer with same options etc. About every six months or so I go through the for sale and sold section of the Fiberglass- rv-4sale and copy & paste ads along with any photos into one document on my computer. Also keep records of all updates/repairs along with receipts and keep current photos of the trailer inside and out.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote