Trailer Tracker - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-06-2014, 02:48 PM   #1

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Trailer Tracker

A number of people have had their trailers stolen. Today I was on the SPOT sight and for $99 they sell a small device you can put in your trailer out of sight that will report the position of your trailer if moved. Interesting if you have an expensive trailer for sure.

It uses GPS, satellite and Internet. We used the SPOT service on our cross Labrador trip, not for theft, and it worked very well.

Just a thought

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 03:38 PM   #2

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
I looked at the SPOT site, what I found was the device was about $120 plus about $100 per year.

Old 11-06-2014, 03:59 PM   #3

Name: Stan
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II Hull #63
Virginia
I hate when my wife puts one of those darn things on me. Plus we have "find my phone" on our iphone, so I can't go anywhere. Dang it all.
I looked at trailer locks, and there about a hundred ways to lock your trailer for about 30 bucks.

Stan
Old 11-06-2014, 04:36 PM   #4

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Yes there is a yearly charge. Very often insurance companies give a discount for these kinds of devices. If my trailer was expensive I'd consider one.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fiberglass RV mobile app

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 06:42 PM   #5

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Someone who had a 19' Escape stolen right out of his driveway said to make the appearance of your trailer different. Such as with graphics. We almost never see a 19' or any Escape but he was in an area where, if a 19' came by, he had no idea if it might be his.
Old 11-06-2014, 07:40 PM   #6

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Thanks Norm for posting the info. I think it's about different levels of comfort for individual owners.

If my Scamp was stolen, I'd certainly be heartsick... my Escape... probably heartfailure. I keep reminding myself, I have good insurance. SIGH. It's kinda "funny" how attached we get to stuff...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 07:53 AM   #7

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
I have a friend who worked for a mid-sized regional trucking firm several years ago. While she was there they purchased and installed GPS tracking units on all of the trailers and truck-tractors. It was a very substantial investment and I forget the particulars but recall she said they were flat out amazed at the ROI (return on investment). Both in absolute dollar terms and the shortness of time to the break-even point. It was one of those decisions a business makes that they worry may be a boondoggle and tremendous waste and then afterwards they wonder how they ever did business without it.
Old 11-07-2014, 08:28 AM   #8

Name: Mark
Trailer: currently shopping
Missouri
I, too, wonder and worry about theft out on the road. While it was a topic of previous discussion on here, many or most don't worry about theft, trust people in general, and never had an issue. I'm still in planning stages, but doubt if I would install a tracking device with a yearly fee, just another bill. And I tend to trust people in general. Although I think I will have some type of anti theft device, even if it is a nearly breakable chain and lock (tungsten ?). Travelling solo, I can see myself parked somewhere and away from the trailer for the day. I occasionally see thefts reported on here in the past year that I have been posting. It does cause me some concern.
Old 11-07-2014, 10:01 AM   #9

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Mark View Post
I, too, wonder and worry about theft out on the road. While it was a topic of previous discussion on here, many or most don't worry about theft, trust people in general, and never had an issue. I'm still in planning stages, but doubt if I would install a tracking device with a yearly fee, just another bill. And I tend to trust people in general. Although I think I will have some type of anti theft device, even if it is a nearly breakable chain and lock (tungsten ?). Travelling solo, I can see myself parked somewhere and away from the trailer for the day. I occasionally see thefts reported on here in the past year that I have been posting. It does cause me some concern.
To ease your mind a bit, when you see a trailer reported stolen look at where is was stolen from. The vast majority are stolen from home or a storage facility. I can't remember any reported stolen from an RV Resort, RV Park, campground, or even a dispersed camp site. My trailer is locked up tighter sitting beside my house than it is while out camping. The hitch is double locked, a over the hitch lock and latched like a ball would be and a latch lock (pad lock). That locking system goes with me. I also have a pretty large hardened chain that goes through the tongue and around a couple poles while the trailer is at home.
The best is when camping getting to know the neighbors, the people camped around you. Most of my camping is in the winter (snow birder) we all watch out for each other. It doesn't take long to form and be part of a camping community.
Old 11-07-2014, 10:26 AM   #10

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
I like this idea:
CAR Vehicle GPRS GSM SMS GPS Tracker Tracking System Device TK103A With Alarm | eBay

With a pay as you go SIM card, you could put $100 on it, which would last a year, and you can still use the time on that SIM in another phone by switching the SIM card. I assume this means you are now using the phone number of your trailer. Switch the SIM card every six months, and you get free monitoring of your trailer.
Old 11-07-2014, 01:45 PM   #11

Name: John
Trailer: 16' Casita
California
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Like this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathi View Post
Someone who had a 19' Escape stolen right out of his driveway said to make the appearance of your trailer different. Such as with graphics. We almost never see a 19' or any Escape but he was in an area where, if a 19' came by, he had no idea if it might be his.
Would this do?

The front of this Scamp looked like it had traveled thousands of miles on a gravel road or been attacked by a flock of mad woodpeckers.
Grizzly Grip covered the damage very well.
John
Attached Thumbnails
casita 003 (471x640).jpg  
Old 11-07-2014, 05:45 PM   #12

Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
Washington
My cousin owned a Casita for several years. He got big letters and numbers and put them on the roof of the trailer. His idea was police in the air might see the numbers. He now owns a Bigfoot 25 and has license numbers on the roof.
Chuck
Old 11-07-2014, 06:25 PM   #13

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Numbers

I would put identifying numbers where they could be seen from the ground. The chance of an airborne unit being on the lookout for a trailer are slim to none unless it was packed full of school children when expropriated.

Even something as simple as painting the bumper a different color would be more helpful than roof numbers to the garda....

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTTRV View Post
My cousin owned a Casita for several years. He got big letters and numbers and put them on the roof of the trailer. His idea was police in the air might see the numbers. He now owns a Bigfoot 25 and has license numbers on the roof.
Chuck
Old 11-07-2014, 07:13 PM   #14

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
I was driving with a girlfriend around town one day and we ended up behind a motorhome and she said to me gezzzz thats my motorhome (hers had been stolen a few years earlier from a storage facility). I asked her how she was sure it was hers and she pointed out on the rear ladder there were some red grip strips on the handrail and some red carpeting on the steps - she had added both. We followed it for awhile & when it pulled into a shopping mall we called the police. Sure enough it had plates stolen from another motorhome on it and it was confirmed the motorhome had indeed been hers. She didnt get it back though as she had long since been paid out for it. It still did have some of her personal belongings in it that the insurance company did return to her though.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote